Looking for a good long-distance plan and phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-02-02, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking for a good long-distance plan and phone

I just got offered a new job in Canada and it involves a lot of traveling within North America and sometimes in Europe and Asia as well. I am new to the whole Canadian mobile phones scene and was wondering what phone and plan to go for that would suit my traveling requirements. I don't care much for mobile access to the internet but I do need a good voice and text option with good coverage in BC interior region as well as Vancouver Island. I'm not very well informed about phones with frequencies compatible in different countries. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-02-02, 05:40 PM

You really don't have much choice given the BC interior and Vancouver Island are important. It's Telus Mobility and look for a North American LD add-on package.

If you were going to be in Vancouver and Victoria most of the time, Rogers and Bell would be options, but coverage will will not be as good "away".

Telus offers both CDMA and HSPA (GSM) handsets. The HSPA network is new and you need to verify its available where you will be in the interior. There are still some gaps and service issues as it's less than3 months old. If you choose HSPA, Telus and Bell share the same network so then it's a matter of who has the best prices and plan. All three will offer you discounts if you combine cableTV, internet and wireless.

You will also hear about new providers like Wind and Mobilicity but their services are limited to the cities and you will be doing a lot of roaming on Roger's network - see about about less coverage in the interior. Probably not what you want.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-02-02, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks a lot for your post. That was useful. I'm in the process of calling Fido, Telus and Bell to compare plans but they obviously won't say that their coverage is bad. I'm also deciding on a handset. Thanks a lot though.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-02-02, 07:04 PM

Fido's coverage is the same as Rogers - same company, same network, different pllans and prices.

To add to the confusion, Koodo is the same as Telus, Solo and Virgin Mobile are the same as Bell. They are the "discount" brands owned by Telus and Bell repsectively. Generally a bit cheaper but not as many options when it comes to plans but worth looking into if you are considering pre-paid as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.