Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Outdoor Client Bridge/Access Point

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BCScott 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a way to increase the range of my wireless set-up around our small resort. I think the best way would be an ethernet connection from our cable modem to something like this: http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/Category.aspx?id=17 , an outdoor access point. TD has them for $160-$270. The problem is, despite these being available for a couple of years, there aren't many reviews available. The one that I've found says durability is a big issue. I've read that durability is also an issue with EnGenius long range phones.
So in short, what I'm looking for is a means to give wireless internet access to our guests, with the furthest cabins being 400-500 feet from the modem. I don't want to use "Draft N","Pre N", or "N" yet as most people still have 802.11b/g wireless cards and I'm looking for the widest acceptance.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I haven't used the Engenius AP's, but we've used their long range cordless phones for years with good success. For outdoor AP's, we've used Smartbridges Airpoint PRO and SB3210 products and they are very robust - but the Airpoint PRO have been discontinued and the SB3210's (while more capable) are substantially more expensive.

Another consideration might be to use a good commercial AP like the Cisco 1242AG (autonomous model) indoors at each cabin, and run an antenna cable to an outdoor directional antenna pointing back to an omnidirectional bridge antenna at your main site. As this is a dual radio A/B/G AP, you can use the 2.4 Ghz (B/G) radio for the local wireless network, and the 5 Ghz A radio for bridging back to your network.

#3 · (Edited)
In your case you may benefit from an outdoor AP or at least an outdoor antenna. But I want to clear up a misconception you have.

Draft 2.0 802.11n routers are backward compatible to b/g (and to "a" also in some cases). And if it is Draft 2.0 (not earlier pre-N) then chances are very very good that it can be upgraded to the final 802.11n standard with just a firmware update.

They really are a good bet for increased range, even for b/g users, due to the MIMO and other advanced technologies they include to make sense out of weak or multipath signals.

Look for equipment that has a WiFi Alliance logo like this:

(for non-enterprise use you can get by with one that doesn't include the "a").

#4 ·
I'm using a pre-n router now from Belkin. It did increase my range considerably over my previous dlink b/g router. When I got my laptop 18 months ago, I had a dell draft n wireless card installed and although I was assured it would work with the Belkin, and if not, it would fall back to b/g, it wouldn't connect even if I was on top of the router. I tried a switch out for the same wireless card and it behaved the same. I "downgraded" to an intel-pro 3945b/g card and all is good. It works flawlessly around the house and out as far as 3 of our 5 cabins.

The problem is, in 2 of the 3 cabins that MY computer works in, perhaps 1 in 10 of our guests' computers have connectivity. I'm sure that once the N standard gets ratified and all new laptops ship with it, it'll be the way to go. For now, however, it's just not practical for my application.

That's why I think that an outdoor AP with b/g will be best for me right now. If, for a small cost of $150-$250, I can provide reliable wireless to all of the cabins, it's a huge added benefit to our guests.

#5 ·
I bought the EOC 3220 EXT, received it today, and set it up. I'm happy to say, it gives me an excellent connection in all 5 of my cabins! I'm using the 200 mW setting (default is 100 mW, max is 400mW) and get 3 bars in all of the cabins, with excellent surfing speeds. For $175 + shipping, it's the perfect solution for us.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.