Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#117 ·
I thought you switched already!
The EV cancellation and Rogers order were in for the end of the month. Changed my mind after retentions called. I was starting to have second thoughts (due to Rogers new compression plans) but would have gone through with it if retentions hadn't called. It looks like EV retentions is now backing out on their promise to upgrade my receivers. I am not happy about that. :eek:

#120 · (Edited)
The 9242 has dual tunners; and as the rooms are side by side he ran a/v cable through the wall that divides them to the other TV (a small 15' LCD 720p). The 9242 comes with 2 remotes that are UHF (They will go through walls). My room's TV is connected by component (37' LCD 1080i). As I said before, I am amazed of the commitment of Bell to myself to keep me as a customer; don't know if it was just my luck, but they treated me with exceptional customer service... for now I'm recommending Bell to all my friends, 2 of them already have made a choice to switch from Shawdys low sound/video quality.

#122 ·
I called EV today and they offered to replace my owned 9200PVR with a
9242,free for 1 year,$20 a month after or purchase for $300. They would also waive the install charges and a $75 fee for something.There is also a 40%
programing discount,from $87 to $52 a month for 1 year.This comes with no contract.
I think this sounds good and was told it was the best they could offer.

#125 ·
Any deal for your 9200 gets them off the hook when they go mpeg4. You have to guess if you will be offered more or less down the road "Good Luck"
Thanks for the option of purchase for $300 after 12 months I think I will try to use that when my free 12 month 9242 rental runs out.

#126 ·
Hey,

I phoned them on this offer. They will take trade on any receiver, it does not have to be a HD receiver. He also said he needed a statement dated within the last 30 days. He also said the receiver had to be activated, it cant be one just sitting in the basement.

If I had a receiver to give them I would take the deal then cancel. Nothing like a free HD PVR.

#128 · (Edited)
There is always a one year subscription for a rental, but... you are getting the rental free for a year; so when the time to pay for rent comes up, you just return it and buy yourself the latest and greatest HD PVR of the time or get another deal from BELL(as you will have no contract).

#130 ·
I'm betting that Bell will indeed give you another retention deal after the year; just wait for the 3rd offer or the call back from retentions.... you'll see

#132 ·
As long as there are competition offers; there will be retention offers... As I stated before, some TV companies are giving hundreds of $$$ to buy you out as a new customer; BEV will do its share to retain you too... Give it a try when the time comes...

#133 ·
We don't know that EV will do a straight swap of 9242s for owned 9200s. That will happen for rentals though. Dish charges $199 for an upgrade and that offer started when their MPEG2 receivers that had only been out for a year. EV's offer doesn't sound so bad in that respect. Getting the $300 in credits is actually better than cash since you save the tax on services and rentals with credits. Either way, you end up renting or buying a receiver in a year. I doubt EV's receiver prices will drop much by then.

#134 ·
I was told by the CSR that I was under no obligation,I could cancel EV at any time,just return rented 9242.But how that return would work...?Also I've been told I will have to pay the $20 monthly rental for the first 2-3 months,administrative reasons,and the 12 free months will be added after.
If I purchase the 9242 she says a charge of $299.99 will be added to my EV bill.
I'm thinking of going with the free 12 month rental and around Jan. 2010 looking for a new PVR. I imagine there will be a replacement for the 9242 by then.

#136 ·
Nobody can say for sure. If you aren't ready to leave then the choice is harder. If you really are prepared to leave, then see what happens. Seems pretty low though compared to what others seem to get.

Personally, unless I was actually leaving, I wouldn't go this route. If I was actually leaving, no offer would be good enough.

#141 ·
Bell isn't offering me anything

I currently have 1 9200 and 3 4100 with a contract expireing in a couple of months. Just got an email from bell that they would trade one of the 4100 for a new 9250 but I must pay for installation and sign a 1 yr deal. That was it for thier offer. I stated that Shaw now has a all in one package in my area that will save me over $100/m but they don't seem to care. Looks like my days with bell are limited.

#143 ·
I called Bell retentions today (been a customer for nearly 10 years) as I'm being constantly bombarded with offers from Rogers and StarChoice. We have Evu/phone/DSL/cell with Bell.

The chap was very helpful. I mentioned we are receiving all these "switch offers" and what could he do for us. I received:

2 year no charge rental of a 6141 receiver plus free install (no $100 payment)
40% off our current programming charges (7 packages + HD I think)

I'm happy with that. I've found the Bell service to be pretty reliable. My support for our DSL has been amazing . Only real complaint is that Formula 1 isn't in HD yet (but that's not Bell's fault ;) )

#144 ·
>The chap was very helpful. I mentioned we are receiving all these "switch >offers" and what could he do for us. I received:
>
>2 year no charge rental of a 6141 receiver plus free install (no $100 payment)
>40% off our current programming charges (7 packages + HD I think)

I think I'll give it a go. Did you call their main number and then ask for the Retentions department?

R

#145 ·
I can go one better that that for ya. This was posted on a deals site forum:

Call 1-888-673-3788
Follow these options.

Step #1 -> Press #1 for English
Step #2 -> Enter 10 digit phone number
Step #3 -> Press #2 for all other options
Step #4 -> Press #3 to cancel subscription
Step #5 -> Press #4 to cancel subscription (again!)
Step #6 -> It's going to ask you to enter your PIN, you may not have one, so just randomly enter 4 digits
Step #7 -> PIN again .. randomly enter 4 digits
Step #8 -> 'Please hold while we transfer your call.'

That's it, you're in on retention line now!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.