Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV Retentions?

347K views 797 replies 276 participants last post by  dganz1 
#1 ·
I posted my first post in the wrong forum. I think it's more appopriate to post here instead. Well, we have been with Expressvu since like 1998. We are probably their first couple hundred customers. I still remember when they have an XPRS channel advertising how they are gaining customers and the start package was $8.95. Anyways, what I was wondering if I try to cancel will they try to keep me as a customer? I might be switching to Rogers digital cable because their Chinese channels are $5 cheaper.

#84 · (Edited)
If the tech support told him he would have to surrender his purchased 6100 in order to rent a 6100 there are serious doubts in my mind about the tech person, or there is a break in communication. If they are just going to replace the receiver free then he should ask them to send it out and return the faulty one, if the free one works. It will not hurt his position when he deals with the retention dept ( It may actually help) so I would sort that out first, before I took a retention offer.

#85 ·
I think you should call expressvu again. The explanations you got do not make a lot of sense. Why would they want your purchased receiver to rent you one. Sound like they have to re hit your 6100. Get that working first.
Sending a hit when there is no signal is totally useless...

Tech support, in this case have determine that there is a hardware problem, and client seems to be out of warranty. In that case they offer to replace it with a refurbish unit for 149$ (like they always do) or that he rents another unit. If he chooses to rent he would have to buy a rental certificate for 100$ which would be credited on the first bill after he activated the receiver...
Whathever he chooses, those are not retention offer, but the normal offer agents have to make when client has a defective unit out of warranty.

Having being on vacation has nothing to do with the current problem...
How do you expect EV to break your receivers by putting them on TPS (Temporary programming suspension)?
They just go in the system, click in the account management section, the system will tell them that they indicate that they want to TPS their service and ask if client actually wants to proceed TPS with the help of the rep. When he clicks yes system ask the start date, then the end date and that's it... System tells the agent to remind client that service will be suspended from X date to Y date, to advise him of auto restart. After that nobody goes in the account, they only process the bill. The service is automaticall restarted on the date indicated

#87 ·
I just spoke with another tech agent and was told that my options were to buy a new 6100 or 6141 for $299 or buy a refurbished unit for $149. I could also rent a 6100 or 6141 for $10 per month for a 1 year contract. He said my 6100 did not have to be returned. The first agent I spoke to obviously didn't know what she was talking about since she did tell me I would have to return my unit while paying the $149 for a refurb.
As Haystack mentioned, I too had to have my receivers "hit" from an agent since neither were originally working after my account was off suspension. So this is why I am thinking this problem was from their end. I didn't think my receiver was broken as suggested by Ex Agent EV when it was put on suspension. It seems a little coincidental that I never had a problem, put it on suspension and then after this "hit" it didn't work anymore.

#89 ·
Again a HIT is totally useless if the signal is not there... His are there to fix issues like missing channels, wrong time on guide, certain guide issues, but not signal issues. If the signal is not 65% or + agent shoudn't perform a hit

If you get a refurbish unit at 149$ you have TO RETURN THE DEFECTIVE unit. The agent that told you you didn't have to was wrong

#90 ·
I was surprised on Thursday this week. I called up to get a replacement remote control but while I was on the phone I remembered that I was pre-approved for a free upgrade from my 9200 to the 9242 so I thought, what the hell. Anyway, the short of it is, that for a 1 year contract, I ended up getting the rental of the 9242 for 1 year for free, free installation (eventhough it's not really an installation, just a swap) and 20% off my programming. I was really surprised!

#91 ·
Retention Frustrations

I called in to cancel my service and asked the rep to pull up my account to see all the problems I was having since I reactivated my account from suspension. She was very polite but unfortunately her computer "crashed". This is not the first time this has happened so I figure the reps have really cheap computers or it's a cue for me to be passed on to someone else. Enter rep #2 who offers to replace my 6100. I ask about the 6141 and its features (including Mpeg4) and he tells me the only difference is that it has a coax out! After I disagree with him, he puts me on hold for 10 minutes to check this out. He returns to apologize that I was correct. He tells me that my 6100 would be swapped for a 6141 in the future when need be for free. I ask if I could have that in writing to which he replies no because "we don't know what the company will do in the future."
I understand that he wouldn't know that but why make a statement like that in the first place? Have other people had issues getting a straight answer when calling in to speak with someone?

Anyway the bottom line after all this was the following offers:

1) replace the 6100 for free (no contract I assume)
or
2) 2 year free rental on the 6141 (1 year contract - perhaps sync issues from what I read?)

I would appreciate any input on these offers. Going back to cable seems so peaceful now.

#94 ·
Tell them the cable company offered you a free HD PVR for a year, and some free HD programming to try out HD. They should match with a Free HD PVR, and Free 6 months HD Programming.

#102 ·
I'm pretty pissed with Shaw and their ongoing sound drop outs in every channel; I got a swapped HD PVR from them; called Bell and asked for a similar offer to stay with them...
They offered me the latest new HD PVR installed and free for a year. As I only have 6 months with them... I accepted. Goodbye SHAW!

#96 ·
Retention Frustrations Deja Vu

I had a similar experience. Last Fall I got 3 months free service and 6 months free TMN. Today, I called again to cancel. I was offered 2 months free service to stay. I said no. Then I was offered a free 9242 for a year as well.

I canceled anyway. It's just not worth the grief of dealing with Bell. :eek:

#97 ·
Thanks to everyone for your info; Habskilla that seems like a sweet deal. I will call them back. I didn't consider the HD PVR since I was using my DVD recorder (with hard drive) to record, albeit not in HD. I currently have a SW21 switch that was for my 6100 and another line from 91 going in to the house. I read that the 9242 requires two inputs, so would having a sw42 switch connected work by having the PVR connected and then connect my DVD recorder with the s-video output from the PVR? I did a search but the SW42 switches don't seem to be readily available. I don't want to be running any more lines in from outside, so if need be I could go with the 6141.

#99 ·
I got the usual call back after I canceled. I was offered what seems to the standard except for one thing.

-Free upgrade from 9200 to 9242, $75 dollar fee waived . He also had offered a new 9242 for half price ,probably programing credits
-Free HD
-40% off programing for 1 year, he started at 20%, I kept saying no
-And I insisted on no contract with the 9242 rental upgrade , he agreed

I am dubious of the no contract as I was told in earlier posts I would be back on a contract because of the PVR upgrade. But we'll see, he also gave what he claims is a direct telephone number that goes straight to him. He said if I ever have a problem or questions to call him directly and by pass the usual call centre reps. Is this normal? as I've haven't heard of this before. I also asked for his name etc.. and recorded the conversation in case Bell lies , imagine that.

#100 ·
he claims is a direct telephone number that goes straight to him. He said if I ever have a problem or questions to call him directly and by pass the usual call centre reps.
He might have gave you the retention center number...it's probably a smaller departement where everybody knows each other just like SAT was when I worked there. Agent could therefore transfer you to him whithout, like he said going throught the usual customer service center

#101 ·
I got "the call" as well. I was not home at the time. I wonder if they will match Rogers? That is three free PVRs for 2 years and all English language programming packages (excluding SC) for $83/mo for 1 year and $96/mo after. In EV's case I would be looking for a refund of the purchase price for my current equipment and replacement with rentals. ;)

#105 ·
I'm a 6 or 7 year subscriber of Bell ExpressVu.

I averaging about 70+ dollars a month before taxes.

My programming plan is:

Ultimate 7 Pack
• Movies (East)
• Networks
• News
• Variety
• Learning
• Lifestyle
• Fun Zone
• More Movies

I have purchased all my receivers (including my 5900 PVR) outright.

Should I approach Bell for some sort of deal or discount? I'm familiar with cell phone retentions, so that's what I am used to.

#108 ·
Called them again, and waited for the 3rd offer... This was it... The CSR wouldnt bulge and even stated that I had 18 months to go on my contract; so cancellation fees would be high.

I got:

1 Free new HD PVR rental for a year
20% Programing credit for 1 year
One time $50 Credit

CSR said that I will not go into a new contract; so I will still be bound to the same one for 18 mor months.

#118 · (Edited)
I got my brand new Bell HD PVR 9242 free one year rental installed today; the Tech made it so that two HDTVs in 2 rooms could access the dual tunners (pretty neat setup), made me have a Shaw HD-PVR 6412 and a Digital Terminal homeless (for sale...) Shaw(dy) is BYE BYE on May 2nd.
I am pretty pleased as how Bell handled it to retain me as a customer, very impressed! and the Video-Audio quality are way better than Shaw's.
My wife is happy.... and anyone married knows that's a GOOD thing!

#110 ·
I agree. 6 months into a 24 month contract and you want to change it? :confused: If I were the CSR, I would have said just go ahead and pay the cancellation fee. I've been with EV for 5 years and have no contract so I can understand receiving some kind of offer in that situation. Even that is a relatively new situation. Up until about a couple of years ago, EV offered nothing to long term customers, for any reason.

#111 ·
I think they do this (give retention gifts) to current subscribers under a contract; becouse some offers (like Rogers) are up to $750.00 in goodies; so by charging a $200-$300 cancellation fee they would still loose customers... (They would have lost me)

#112 ·
I've yet to see a $750 advantage in switching to Rogers. I was offered 2 yr free rental on owned receivers but where would I be at the end of 2 years? Renting obsolete receivers? No thanks. OTOH, if EV refused to upgrade my owned receivers or charged too much, I would switch in an instant. It's even worth a switch right now if Rogers has significantly better service in the interim or Rogers receivers are significantly better and cheaper 2 years from now.

#113 ·
Lol, I live in Edmonton; so I couldnt have gone into Roger's offer (NO Roger's cable service here)... but... I read it here in DHC and told it to the CSR in Bell... he offered me the free stuff anyway, just to keep me happy... way to go BEV! The receiver I'm getting as a free rental is a new (non-refurbished) HD PVR; I'll stick around with BEV, unless something better comes up... ;-)

#114 ·
I think Shaw has an even better offer. They will give you a HD PVR for your old HD satellite receiver. It's yours to keep, not a rental.

The Rogers "ditch the dish" offer is really worth nothing in the long run. Chances are the receivers I currently own will last another 2 years or longer. EV made me a better offer than Rogers did anyway. They had too because I was about to switch.

#116 · (Edited)
I did get the Shaw deal (swap Sat receiver for HD PVR) in February; and got 2 months free worth of their UBBERLY CRAPPY service. I'm cancelling Shaw cable service this week though; I'd be pissed if I have had to pay Shawdy these 2 months. IMHO Shaw has the worst signal of any TV provider.
That's another reason Bell will give retention gifts to current suscriber under a contract (like I said before); a new Shaw HD PVR (what I got from them) is worth $650.00 at FS or BB; that is more goodies than a $300 cancellation fee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.