Sharing MaxTV and other Devices on same Switch - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Question Sharing MaxTV and other Devices on same Switch

When the tech installed Infinet back in Apr 2016, I asked if I could connect the MaxTV boxes to a gigabit switch. He seemed to be set on the idea that they had to be directly connected to the Actiontec Gateway. Some months later I decided we needed to re-wire some of the ethernet cables and get a switch to connect all our devices. So we have one port on the gateway now connected to a 5 port gigabit switch upstairs and various devices connected to that switch including a MaxTV box, TV, A/V Receiver and Wireless Extender. It all seems to work just fine.

I'm just wondering why the tech told me MaxTV couldn't be connected to a switch? After all, if up to 7 MaxTV boxes can be connected at once, you would NEED to use a switch somewhere. Unless they include another gateway?

The only issue I can think of is that if you are sharing MaxTV on a single port with other devices through a switch, and those other devices for whatever reason maxed out the full gigabit/s bandwidth on the port, it could cause bandwidth starvation for the MaxTV box? I can't imagine MaxTV uses more than 5Mb/s per box, leaving 995Mb/s free for whatever other use.

The reason I'm asking this now, is we need to do something similar with another MaxTV box in the basement, and I'm going to use another switch and connect the MaxTV box and various other devices to it as well. This switch will be on a different port on the gateway.

Hopefully it works out. Let me know if hooking the MaxTV boxes through a switch is a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 01:07 PM
Based on what I've read about the other providers that use the same Mediaroom technology that MaxTV uses, the providers implement QoS (Quality of Service) on their gateways so the Ethernet ports that connect STBs get priority over devices on the other ports. When you mix both on the same port, the gateway isn't able to ensure the STBs get priority. This is important because Mediaroom uses real-time UDP protocols that depend on a reliable connection.

I've heard of a lot of people using switches and only a few problems, sometimes related specifically to Apple Mac computers. Any burst of data could disrupt the TV stream, such as loading up a buffer when streaming a local video over the network to another device. For this reason I wouldn't recommend putting the PVR on a switch, since it handles a stream for each program you are recording plus each recording you are playing back, plus potentially each live stream since each time you press pause on a remote STB, the program gets buffered to the PVR, resulting in 2 streams going through the PVR.

There are many ways to get 7 boxes on a single gateway. In the early days many providers used existing cable-TV coax that plugged into a special port on the gateway. Now, MaxTV supports up to 3 wireless STBs in addition to the wired boxes. Before wireless STBs were available providers such as Telus have supplied switches to provide additional ports, but they only connect STBs to those switches, so the gateway can maintain QoS for the TV streams.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-12-31, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Thanks, so it seems I had the right idea for the potential issues. The MaxTV box downstairs is non PVR and if any other device on the switch is in use, it's because that device is actually being used on the TV and not MaxTV at that time, so I should still be Ok. The Max box upstairs however is PVR, and gets used for recording and we haven't had any issues. But there really isn't any other device upstairs that would ever burst up to a full gigabit.

Just for fun I'm going to hook up the Max box downstairs to a switch and also a laptop and then run iPerf between the laptop and another PC to max out the port, and see what happens to the MaxTV signal while this is happening.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-01-01, 07:57 PM
this is how max works
you have 1 central box, this can record 4 shows at once and pause if need be. there is some limitations. This is on fiber
HD streams are 10mbps and sd are around 4 mbps. 40mbps right there just for recording, how many streams can it play at the same time I do not know. Remember upto 7 boxes that you can access the recordings on all 7 boxes

The way sasktel trains there techs is to give the best experience the customer can get. and create a standard that can help with troubleshooting. If one starts mixing internet data and iptv data it may cause issues and then how does one troubleshoot it? is it the switch? wiring? and how does one go about getting both internet and iptv to work how you like it?

The pvr should be hard wired and directly connected to the main router. everything else should be on its own switch/wireless.

Last I herd they can do up to 4 wireless STB on a transmitter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.