'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Post 'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET)

Just thought I would start discussion on this topic with some relevant information.

I asked on July 26th on the SaskTel Max page the following question: "Could someone please tell me when the new Sasktel Fiber Optic network will be available for customers, and what speeds will be available at launch for what price if possible? Thanks in advance."

I got a response the same day: "Hey Jerad, we are finalizing details on the services to be offered on the SaskTel Fiber Optic Network and there is currently no set schedule as to when the fiber optic network will be installed in a given neighbourhood. The project team will identify locations for the network installation based on a number of factors including quality of the existing network and resource availability. When your area is identified for installation you will receive a communication from SaskTel with information as to what is to occur. ^DS"

Just thought people should know this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 01:07 AM

there have been live trials for almost 5 years now

In previous career stops I've worked on the backbone side of the fiber trials, as well as worked a little bit on the home premise side of things
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 02:45 PM

I got an insert in my last Sasktel bill and it mentions an enhanced Sasktel Max tv service with the Fiber Network. Does any one know what sevices this might be.

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 12:12 PM
Rookie

I have a very good friend who works at Sasktel and while he doesn't know a lot, he told me this:

1. Sasktel plans to roll out FTTH plans this fall!
2. He had heard they will be starting with 50mbit/s

Not a ton of useful info, but hopefully helpful. I am in the process of building in Stonebridge right now. Yesterday, Sasktel was there and ran the fibre to my home!
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Just got a message from insider to add to that:

1. Confirmed it will be available within the next few months to newer areas in Saskatoon and Regina.
2. They are doing an employee trial right now to train staff on it.
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 02:51 AM
Rookie

granyte,

I assume the enhanced aspect would be related to either the ability to have more concurrent HD streams in a single home, and/or the offering of speeds faster than 5mbps (which is currently the max speed offered with MAX)
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-17, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I was googling "sasktel fiber optic network" and I found this page with tons of information: http://sasktel.com/personal/fibre/

Some of the highlights:

Max bandwidth at the start is 200Mbps down and 40 Mbps up. (25 megabytes per second down/5 Megabytes per second up) with the potential to increase as technology advances.
Installation done depending on whether your lines come to your house underground or aerial.
Cost will NOT increase unless new services are subscribed that rely on the new infrastructure.
Fiber will "pass" all households and businesses but only SaskTel Max customers will actually be connected to the network .
When you are moved onto the new network, ALL services, including Landline telephone, will be moved to the new network.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-06-04 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Updated link
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Fiber

I noticed Saturday that there were roles of fiber in my back alley beside the boxes with the sasktel switches. I am hopping that this means fiber to my place soon. As I am a MAX subscriber and would like more/better HD capabilities and closer to what I pay for internet speeds.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Are you located in a new part of town or an old one? New parts of town appear to have higher priority than old ones, due to the ease of putting in fiber in a new development, but if it was a older part of town, then that would make me wonder which area will be next....
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 06:04 PM
Rookie

It's a new part of Saskatoon, yes it should be relatively easy for them to put in the finer as they don't need to do any digging (there is a tube already installed for a finer line).
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 12:34 AM
Rookie

ya our home was built last year in prince albert. Same thing... an extra conduit ran to each unit for fiber in the future.

A lot of older places will require trenching... so it might be slow going. Hopefully we don't hear about any horror stories like with some of the verizon fiber installs in the US.
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburyan View Post
ya our home was built last year in prince albert. Same thing... an extra conduit ran to each unit for fiber in the future.

A lot of older places will require trenching... so it might be slow going. Hopefully we don't hear about any horror stories like with some of the verizon fiber installs in the US.
I agree with you about trenching. I'm in a north-east area of the Saskatoon that has been around for a while, and we get our utilities underground so trenching will be a must. and hopefully there won't be any horror stories aside from the rare ONT failure.

I've been monitoring a popular forum (DSLreports if you must know ) for both AT&T U-verse and (mostly) Verizon FiOS, and that is when the "fiber" bug hit me. I feel personally that it is truly the future to have information funneled in/out of our homes at the speed of light as fast as our infrastructure will allow.

I had access to a "Feral Hosting" seedbox at a time when I could afford it. I could download torrents at 30 Megabytes per second and up at 15. I set up a goal to get close to that. At least the SaskTel fiber optic will let me get speeds near that goal.
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 09:16 PM
Mav

Location: Saskatoon, SK Pioneer VSX-9140TXH, Samsung LN46C630, Sanyo PLV-Z2000, PS3, MTS TV
We got a letter in the mail saying they're starting the install to the box in the next week or two and then install to the house in early 2012.

We're in Saskatoon (Stonebridge).
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-11-20, 08:48 PM
Mav

Location: Saskatoon, SK Pioneer VSX-9140TXH, Samsung LN46C630, Sanyo PLV-Z2000, PS3, MTS TV
The fibre line was brought from the box to my house this morning. They didn't come in my house, so will need to come back.
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Hi Mav,

I'm also in Stonebridge on Rempel Cres (NE corner) but did not receive a letter nor any word of fiber being brought to home. Would you mind telling me what street or area of Stonebridge you live in?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.