'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Is this thread still alive I have a few questions regarding a VPN service I pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-02-08, 11:09 PM

If your questions are specific to configuring your VPN on infiNET, it makes sense to post them here and someone may be able to answer. If they are more general, there are several VPN threads in the Home Computing forum that may be useful.
post #108 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-02-09, 06:26 PM
Rookie

Thank you! My question could be something more towards my VPN provider (Ive been talking with them for around 2 weeks now and still cannot come to a solution). Basically I have a service called private internet access. When I was on the copper my 25Mbps connection would actually get faster (up to 40Mbps). Since I have gotten fiber which is now the 100Mbps I can only get 5Mbps with the vpn on... I have eliminated the actiontec router with a managed switch and now come strait to my asus RT-N66U Router. Yet I still cannot get it setup right. What bothers me is nothing on the software side changed. The only thing that changed was the equipment. If anyone can give me a few hints that would be awesome. If not ill start browsing in the home computing forums. Thanks!

post #109 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-02-18, 08:49 PM

that makes zero sense

there's no way your 25mbps service magically ramped up to 40mbps
post #110 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-09-23, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Hi. Just had a worker knock on our door. He told me that he was from SaskTel, no identification. He explained that they were going to put fiber optics in the box behind the house in the back alley into our house.
Where is the letter of explanation about this happening in the neighbourhood?
Do the employees wear ID?

Concerned.

M. Wolfe
3069780333 or mlwolfe@sasktel.net
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-09-23, 04:22 PM

Sasktel is currently doing the North end of town right now as a friend just had it put in.
post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-09-25, 06:44 PM

generally we carry ID, but usually the big sasktel trucks or vans give us away as employees.

some of the fiber work has been contracted out, and you would have been notified by mail a fair bit in advance that this work would be occurring
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-10-21, 03:31 PM
Rookie

I'm curious if it's possible, using intel proset driver for my NIC, enabling vlan function using vlan ID 1000 and connecting directly to the ONT. Would it obtain an public ip and connect to the Internet? I only have internet service, 260/60Mbs. I wold also like to lose the actiontec gateway. I suspect it is causing latency issues among other problems.
post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 2015-10-22, 07:00 PM
Rookie

One other thing... would a smart switch with vlan work. I found a a TP link 5 port gigabit smart switch for 30$.
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 2017-02-20, 10:59 AM

Transition was a little rough at first, but we managed to fix it up. Speedtest showed it to be sufficiently close to the advertised speed of 100 mbps (94-95-ish). Anything is better than the 5mbps we were capped at because of being bundled with TV.

SaskTel seems to have switched back to a Pace (read: 2Wire. Now they're owned by Arris) modem for the router instead of Actiontec.
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 2017-08-15, 10:33 PM

Seems Sasktel just silently upgraded their Internet speeds. I'm on Mach 1 and all of sudden noticed I was getting 175/25. Went and checked their plans on their site and sure enough that is the new speeds for Mach 1 package. Not sure if the other packages changed
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 2017-08-19, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallboy View Post
Seems Sasktel just silently upgraded their Internet speeds. I'm on Mach 1 and all of sudden noticed I was getting 175/25. Went and checked their plans on their site and sure enough that is the new speeds for Mach 1 package. Not sure if the other packages changed
Over on Reddit, posts claim it's because Shaw in Saskatoon upgraded their speed to 150 mbps so Sasktel bumped theirs up. Talk over there is also that Shaw is close to releasing docsis 3.1 which will mean 1 gbps speeds so if that's the case 1 gbps internet could be one step closer to reality for Sasktel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.