Fan won't stop working - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-11-15, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Fan won't stop working

I had a power outage today, and when the power came back on the fan in my PVR kept going and going and going. I tried to unplug it and replug it, but the fan won't stop working. the box is in a well ventilated area so i know that's not the problem.

anyone on here have any tips or do you know what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 05:24 AM

Probably a little late now but just a couple of thoughts.

If the PVR is old and the fan has significant dust accumulation that might explain the fan being on more than usual. That doesn't match up to a power failure though.

Many of the PVR models have a diagnostics menu that will display things like system and harddrive temperatures. I would try to look those up to see if the temperatures really are too high. Perhaps that may yields some clues.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 09:22 AM

Is your PVR plugged into a surge suppressor? It is possible that a slight power surge when the power came back on caused some damage.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I took a compressed air can and undusted the box....still didn't work

I don't know how to access the diagnostics menu or where i could find the box temperature, but i.m 99.9 % sure that a high box temperature is not the problem since were in the winter here and the box is in the basement

I'll have to check for the surge suppressor. if it's not hooked up to a surge suppressor and if i did hook it up to a surge suppressor would it work now or has the damage already been done?

I starting to believe that the power surge theory is the one that makes the most sense here.

Always open to more of your theories and solutions out there

thanks guys
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 04:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy1 View Post
I don't know how to access the diagnostics menu or where i could find the box temperature, but i.m 99.9 % sure that a high box temperature is not the problem since were in the winter here and the box is in the basement
If Motorola, see: FAQ - Motorola STB Helpful Links, Tips

If a surge has hit the unit, then the damage could be done. A UPS is recommended for PVRs and is more than a surge suppressor, which may prevent future issues.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

screw it. I know temperature is not a problem so i'm not doing the test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.