Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw BlueCurve TV Hardware Information

77K views 99 replies 37 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those looking for hardware specifics on BlueSky TV here is the support landing page: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9889

BlueSky TV Box - Also known as XG1v3 "RDK"

Connections
  • HDMI Out Yes
  • Mini-HDMI No
  • DVI No
  • Component No
  • Composite Yes
  • S-Video No
  • Coaxial (out) Disabled
  • RCA Audio Yes
  • S/PDIF (Coaxial) No
  • S/PDIF (Optical) Yes
  • IR Tether No
  • USB Disabled
  • HDMI In Disabled
  • Ethernet Disabled
  • eSATA Disabled
  • HD Compatible Yes
  • Tuner Type Digital
  • No. of Tuners Six*
  • Internal HDD 500GB
  • PVR Expandable No
  • MPEG-4 Yes
  • 1080p Capable Yes
  • 3D Capable Yes
  • VOD Capable Yes
  • Manufacturer Arris
  • Width 35 cm / 13.8 in
  • Depth 20.5 cm / 8.1 in
  • Height 6 cm / 2.4 in
*12 simultaneous recordings are supported when multiple PVRs are networked together

BlueSky TV Portal - Also known as XiD
The BlueSky TV portal connects over MoCA to the BlueSky TV box (PVR). Like our older whole-home hardware, customers are able to access recordings from anywhere in their home when connected to a portal.
New Features with BlueSky TV
  • Reduced Size - this box is very small
  • HDPVR and HD Compatible - Portals can be used to create a whole-home HD and PVR networked exo-system
  • HDMI only
  • External power pack
  • RF4CE - Portals can be completely hidden from sight and remote commands will still register.
  • 1080p HEVC - Shaw's first HEVC compatible set-top for future format conversions

Connections
  • HDMI Out Yes
  • Mini-HDMI No
  • DVI No
  • Component No
  • Composite No
  • S-Video No
  • Coaxial (out) Yes
  • RCA Audio No
  • S/PDIF (Coaxial) No
  • S/PDIF (Optical) No
  • IR Tether No
  • USB No
  • HDMI In No
  • Ethernet No
  • eSATA No
  • HD Compatible Yes
  • Tuner Type Digital
  • No. of Tuners n/a
  • Internal HDD No
  • PVR Expandable No
  • MPEG-4 Yes
  • 1080p Capable Yes
  • 3D Capable Yes
  • VOD Capable Yes
  • Manufacturer n/a
  • Width 13.5 cm / 5.31 in
  • Depth 8.7 cm / 3.43 in
  • Height 3.2 cm / 1.25 in

XR11 Remote - also known as BlueSky Remote

The XR11 is a remote with voice control which is included with the BlueSky Box and Portal
Features
  • Voice key and microphone
  • Backlight- all keys, amber colour
  • Accelerometer - keys are illuminated for 3 seconds when remote is picked up. Lighting fades up and down
  • Buttons are laser cut
  • Tactile "D" key for accessibility
  • Colour - light grey
  • Aim Anywhere

Remote Shortcut Keys
Button + Feature
  • A - Help menu
  • B - Video on Demand
  • B - Enable video preview in full screen guide
  • C - Sports App (scores, teams, and other detailed info)
  • D - Delete selected recording
  • D - Clear history

Programming the Remote details can be read here: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9879

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Starting October 15, 2019, Shaw renamed BlueSky TV to BlueCurve TV.

See less See more
#6 ·
So I spoke with a Shaw Rep at the Calgary Home Reno Show today and was advised that other than the voice activated remote and new user interface, nothing really. You do not own your own equipment and must pay a rental fee and the tV Package they are offering is the highest cost and most channel inclusive because it doesn't make sense to use the voice remote to search for a program with lesser packages. So I answered my own question. Blue-sky is not superior to my current set-up.

#8 ·
@newfbc although this equipment is not 4K capable that doesn't mean that "BlueSky" won't be. In my opinion it's not like there is a lot of 4K content out there right now and gaining more attention than 4K is HDR, and again imo you can bet they are being looked at.

#9 ·
Hi Shaw Champ this system looks like it's light years ahead of the Gateway. What has interested me on the Xfinity platform has been the anywhere DVR. I know Shaw has not included it on the launch of Bluesky, but I would go for it if I knew this feature was coming. Was it not included by design or it just a matter of negotiating with content providers?? Over the past year it has been frustrating to not have worthwhile content to download on Freerange and this seems to be a continuation of the same strategy. Another question is can you tell me the amount of time there is with the skip feature which it looks like on the Xfinity system is activated with the up or down arrow button. Apparently on Xfinty it comes with a default of 5 minutes but there is a code that can be entered to make it 30 seconds. Is it the same with Bluesky? Thanks

#17 ·
@pjpete thanks for the questions!
Anywhere DVR feature is something that as you say isn't there with the launch of BlueSky TV. It is something being looked at and unfortunately is something I can't confirm if it is coming or even a timeline. You see the content rights that come with that feature for implementation in Canada require working through. That's all I can say on that for now.

The default for the skip forward/back is 5 minutes using the page up/down keys. You can actually re-program the remote pretty easy - for example to forward skip 30 seconds press EXIT-EXIT-EXIT 0030 then Shaw button. This will give you a 30 second skip (skip backward in this mode should be 15 seconds). "0030" can be changed to "0500" back to the 5 minutes. I haven't tested with other times but I assume you can personalize it how you want which is new and good!

When FFW or REW you can engage up to 4 speeds (faster each press) in each direction with the 5th press being called "Lightening Mode" (you see a lightening strike icon on screen". With the lightning mode feature, this speed allows you to traverse content in under 12 seconds - regardless of the program's length.

Hope this helps, thanks for the questions :)

#12 ·
If Shaw is considering HDR, a important question is: does this thing support HDCP 2.2? My understanding is that if you get content from "official channels", and want 4K and 10-bit color (HDR), content owners won't give it to you unless your system supports HDCP 2.2.

Does the BlueSky gear support HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2?

#18 ·
Thanks Shaw Champ. Hopefully the content rights can be figured out. You would think if it can be worked out in the States a similar model could be followed in Canada. Even if it meant just certain networks could be included that would be better than not having it at all. Now that Netflix and Amazon are offering the feature of downloading I think it would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of this major feature of the Xfinity system. Thanks again for the information.

#19 ·
I got some answers today in so much as you can link as many as 3 main boxes together for a total of 18 tuners and only 1.5TB of combined storage, as previously mentioned. You can have a maximum of 9 Portals if you have 3 main units for a total of 12 TVs supported.

One reason they aren't supporting external storage is that they are still hoping to offer some form of Cloud DVR storage. Given that they will likely charge for this, I can't see it being very popular.

There are 2 new portals in the works that will have wifi connectability, apparently. No idea when these might be out but it is 'in the works'.

Also, Netflix was mentioned but I don't know exactly how that will play into things. Maybe a replacement for the loss of Shomi. Not sure this relates directly to the BlueSky equipment or not but perhaps it will only be available on this platform.

I'm still not interested and I also heard the pricing should get better in the months to come so anyone sitting on the fence, I'd hang tight until Shaw sweetens the pot. They did that with Gateway so I'd hold tough and wait for a better deal.

#20 ·
^ just to clarify at this point in time we are saying that 3 main boxes will give you 12 HD streams/tuners. There is the potential/overhead for more, for sure, and the viability of that is being explored.

#22 ·
That is correct. The BlueSky system uses a different billing system. Basically your account gets migrated over, and the existing boxes aren't compatible with the new system.

That said, I upgraded to Bluesky TV, so if there's any questions feel free to ask. Note I just have the PVR (no portal)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Nope. Even my father just has the PVR and one portal. You're just not paying any less right now if you only get the PVR.

Another thing to note is that you aren't tied to Bluesky TV for the two year contract. If you don't end up liking it, you are free to go back to your old boxes as long as you stay on at least Internet 30 and Personal TV for the two years. Obviously you can't do that on Bluesky right now, but this should help alleviate concerns for people who aren't sure whether the Bluesky system is for them.

(When signing up, the CSR will play an automated recording which explains this. I also verified with them afterwards that this is the case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 · (Edited)
Shaw BlueSky TV Hardware Information

Here's the actual quote from the 2-year Value Plan Agreement (and yes, the above was confirmed by Shaw on their forums)

"Thank-you for signing up for Shaw’s 2-year ValuePlan for Internet and BlueSky TV For a term of 24 months Shaw will provide you with a BlueSky TV box at a monthly rental fee of $15 per month plus applicable taxes. BlueSky TV portals allow for connection of additional televisions and are available at a monthly rental fee of $5 per month plus applicable taxes for each portal. While a service level of Premier TV and Internet 150 is maintained, Shaw will waive the monthly rental fees for up to one BlueSky TV box and one BlueSky TV portal. A minimum service level of Personal TV and Internet 30 (or equivalent services) is required to be maintained for the 24 month term. Television and Internet are provided as the base services under this agreement. Any additional add-ons, plans, channels, rental equipment or other services may be changed at the customer’s discretion and will be charged in addition to the monthly fees for the base services. Details on these services can be found at shaw.ca.

Early Cancellation

If you cancel or suspend your Shaw services or you change your subscription for Shaw services below the minimum service level, you will be immediately charged an early cancellation fee calculated based on $20 per month plus applicable taxes for every month (or partial month) remaining under the term of this agreement. All other charges relating to the Shaw services then due and owing will remain due upon the cancellation of this agreement.
Note that right now you can't switch to a lower plan and opt to rent the PVR and portal at the moment (at least from all their promotions about Bluesky; though I'm double-checking with Shaw).

Edit: confirmed.

#31 ·
I'm not sure if I have interpreted your question correctly, however, when a service provider negotiates rights from the rights holder, there are separate negotiations/fees/restrictions for the many means of programme delivery:

SD
HD
VOD
Streaming
etc.

That's why some programming may be available only in SD, or not available to stream, or only streams with commercials, etc. Sometimes a programme may air in reruns on a "channel" for years, whereas it may only be available for weeks to stream... I hope that helps.

#32 ·
I was thinking only about the recording of programs to various destinations. The programs have already been delivered. But I guess the difference is in how you access them "anywhere" via streaming. I've never had a interest in doing that. And I guess I couldn't do that on the gateway PVR. Thanks for the answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.