Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

View recorded programs w/o service

40K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
I'm changing service providers this week but we have a bunch of shows recorded we still want to watch, but won't have time to before our new service is installed.

Is it possible to access the recorded programs on the STB without having service?

#2 ·
I assume you're talking about a PVR. The Shaw PVR needs to be connected to activated cable to boot, so as soon as the power goes out to the PVR, you won't be able to reboot the PVR unless connected to activated cable. If you are able to prevent the PVR from powering down, then you can watch the programmes for as long as it's powered up.

This question has been asked many times.

#3 ·
A few other tips:
  • Be careful when you're reconfiguring your entertainment centre that you or the installer don't unplug the Shaw PVR.
  • Shaw can deactivate your PVR, so you should disconnect the coax cable the day before the termination date. Then it won't receive the deactivation code.
  • A UPS will take care of short power outages.

#9 ·
They will hunt me down. The cable was cut off Monday. Sunday I removed the cable and the PVR operated as per normal. Put cable back in. Big mistake. Monday it's cut off and all programs on the PVR automatically go to the ending. So I rewind it a bit (2 minutes accelerated time) and then press 'start from the beginning' button. Program goes to the beginning and can be watched. If I stop the movie and turn off the PVR the movie will not return to the time I stopped it so it has to be rewound again. I am happy because there is one movie recorded that cannot be physically obtained by any means. The rest I don't care about. I own't pay for them though because I already have them. Am I breaking the law? Probably. I bet when the power goes off the recordings will be gone.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Access to recorded shows on PVR after cancelling services?

i just switched over to Optik from Shaw on the weekend and noticed that my PVR is now "disabled" and i am unable to go to the List Menu(Recorded shows) or PVR menu

is this something that they normally do and has anyone here gotten them to re-enable it so that i can access my recorded shows? i have a lot of them that i haven't watched and would still like to

i outirght own the pvr (6416) and media expander and never got a cent of subsidy from shaw for the past 4 years +

i'm waiting for a call-back from them right now but would like to hear other people's experiences

TIA

#12 ·
I 'lost' everything as well. I stopped our cable service but had disconnected the cable cord to the PVR and everything was working OK; even the clock worked. Now almost 3 weeks later, the clock shows 12:00 and I can't access any of my recorded programs--very disappointing. Nothing in our house showed that there had been a power outage. Is there any way to get back my access? Has it been erased? Thanks for any help.

#13 ·
As discussed many times in the forums a PVR will only work while connected to an active Shaw signal. This is not something that shaw does but rather how the device is designed to comply with potential copyright laws and such.

#16 ·
All I have to say is crap , after reading this post . I work in the oil fields and wanted to load up the PVR and then take it with me when Im gone for the month ( I have a 30 ft. trailer I live in there ) . I specifically asked at Futureshop , the guy unplugged the cable and played a recorded show , right in front of me . So you guys are saying it will playback un-cabled until the power is cut ? Wow that sucks , for me :(

XJ

#17 ·
Since you are probably making twice the regular wage most people are, you could probably spring for a larger UPS, at about $180, that would keep the box alive while you are on your way back to camp and can plug it in again. It should work for about 30 days so you could watch your shows.

#18 ·
LOL . It wasn't about money , its about space , when I travel to the site , there is barely enough room for clothes in the pickup , I have to be there for about 35 days with no laundry . We used to be on satellite here until we moved and I could always bring that box along and it worked fine , viewing the recordings. We had to go Shaw because of the trees here . I'm disappointed to be honest , after the Futureshop demo I thought all was cool . Oh well , thanks for listening.

XJ

#19 ·
Sounds like you need a bigger pickup too!;)

The UPS I was thinking of is about the size of two PVRs together, like one on top of the other. It could fit under your legs as long as you aren't the driver. I recall the days of 'ride sharing' out to camp when I was building logging roads in the bush so I know what you are dealing with. Sorry there isn't better news.

#20 ·
Ya , I have to take the company pickup to the site and its usually me and someone else and stuff is pouring over the sides already . So you have a link to that UPS ? If I would have known that pulling the power rendered that 3400 useless I would have started cutting down trees for Bell . On the plus side , the HD picture is fairly decent , wonder how their compression compares to others ( Bell , S-Direct etc.. ) ?

Your from Calgary ? I usually work +/- 200 KM in and around Provost AB. All horizontal drilling .

XJ

#21 ·
You can just put 'UPS' in the search box of FS or BB, or any other retailer of your choosing, and get the one with the biggest capacity, usually '1500' or similar.

There are threads here that discuss comparisons of the different services so check them out.

Yes, I'm in Calgary.

#22 ·
Cancelling service and PVR Question

I am planning to cancel my Shaw service this month. I have some recordings on my PVR that according to this forum will be deactivated on the cancellation date. Thus, I have purchased an uninterrputed power supply and plan on disconnecting my coxial cable the day before the cancellation date. My question is:

If I forget and my PVR box gets "zapped" by Shaw, can I take it to a neighbour's place with Shaw service and reactivate the PVR box before bring it back to my home to view the prerecorded shows?

If the above method does not work, what are my alternatives?

Thanks.

#24 ·
Actually, you could get it 'activated' at your neighbour's and then take it back to your place but it would require that you 'release' it from your account and have your neighbour 'add' it to his/her account. You would of course need to use the UPS to move it back to your house to watch the recordings you have on it. As far as Shaw is concerned, once it is on your neighbour's account, they own it and they would have to 'release' it from their account before you or anyone else could activate it somewhere else.

I'd suggest you set yourself a reminder either on your computer or your cel phone daytimer so you don't forget to disconnect the cable the day before, as you have suggested you are planning.

#25 ·
I am just another one who has cancelled Shaw service and cannot access the contents on my PVRs.

I have 2 questions:
-. If I subscribe to Shaw again under a new account, will I be able to view the previously recorded movies, concerts, and hockey games? If not I guess it is better for me to sell my Motorola 3400 and Pace 758D with expander now.
-. Does Shaw have the right to lock up the contents on the PVRs? The PVRs were legally purchased units under my name. The contents were also acquired legally by paying a hefty monthly fee. Why do I have to pay a subscription to access my own stuff?

Any inputs and insights appreciated.

#26 ·
1. Yes you'll have access to your recordings if you resubscribe.

2. Because they can and do. Some providers like IPTV require a connection each time you wish to watch a programme - something to do with digital rights. Their PVRs won't even work without an internet connection - if it goes down, even when you're subscribed, no rights to watch recordings...

This thread should not go further into the second topic since that's the subject of another thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.