Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco TiVo service

Tags
tivo
183K views 380 replies 85 participants last post by  cableredneck 
#1 · (Edited)
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENTS AND OTHER

During the third quarter of fiscal 2014, the Corporation's subsidiary, Cogeco Cable Canada, recognized an impairment of $32.2 million of property, plant and equipment, capitalized wages and borrowing costs related to an Internet Protocol Television ("IPTV") solution project on which its Canadian cable services segment had worked. As a result of the unexpected performance issues encountered with the platform, it had to be abandoned by Cogeco Cable Canada. Subsequently, in order to enhance its competitiveness, Cogeco Cable Canada has concluded a partnership with TiVo Inc. ("TiVo"), a global leader in next-generation television services that enable viewers to consume content across all screens in and out-of-the home to be launched at Cogeco Cable Canada by mid-fiscal 2015. The TiVo solution was successfully launched in the first half of fiscal 2014 at the Corporation's Atlantic Broadband subsidiary with great customer acceptance.
Source: Quarterly Report PDF

"Mid-fiscal 2015" means Cogeco should start rollouts before March 2015, if everything does on schedule. Since they've done this in their U.S. subsidiary, the timeline is probably realistic.

TiVo guide PDFs

#5 · (Edited)
I would be very interested in a working whole home dvr system if the rates are somewhat equivalent to the system that they have now.I'm glad to see that they have finally given up on their existing system and are getting an off the shelf system from an existing top notch company but am afraid the cost may drive pricing beyond my reach.If a
anyone gets any more info I would love to hear it as it is not often you can get excited about Cogeco bringing in the latest tech.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cogeco-cable-to-bring-tivo-to-quebec-ontario-1.2703228
http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/cogeco-drops-iptv-project-goes-tivo/375822

#6 ·
You have to be kidding me! I have been lamenting the sorry state of DVR's in Canada since I last had a TiVo. What timing I just asked Cogeco to cancel all my services. Recording Formula 1 and seeing a NASCAR race, then recording the Tour de France and seeing a rodeo was the last straw. I even told their rep that TiVo uses an overscan flag to record a show when it is actually on not by time. OK, I was very frustrated and do realize that I was wasting my time.

Living in Burlington, do I go with Bell or lick my wounds and stick with Cogeco and hope that this time(they did announce a letter of agreement with Tivo in the early 2000's) they really will do it and do it right?

#66 ·
So I have hung on since my July post to my Cogeco services only to find out that I am not qualified to get Tivo as I only have one tv. I do have an iPhone and an iPad as well as an iMac. I guess they don't count as tv's but they are streaming devices! Cogeco strikes again.

#7 · (Edited)
Cogeco said they will gradually roll out TiVo in Canada, so it may take a while.

Atlantic Broadband announced their TiVo plan in June 2013 and Cogeco reported on their conference call that it is 95% complete.

I heard that Dejardins analyst Maher Yaghi said in his research report that the TiVo system was better than Cogeco's existing system but not as good as Fibe, but I haven't seen the report myself, so I don't know if there were any more details.

#9 ·
I was in the local store yesterday and asked the rep about Tivo.I was told that at a staff gathering that morning they had been informed to expect a Dec 2014 roll out in my area.This was the first they had heard about Tivo and were excited about a new tech to provide to customers.

#14 ·
I have just rescinded my Cogeco cancellation. All because of the hope that Tivo will be the answer to the guide and program shifting that plagues Cogeco. Time will tell if this is the right decision as I had to agree to a 12 month commitment. Now hopefully Cogeco will integrate Tivo and all of it's features successfully.

#22 ·
The MPEG-4 shift in Augusta follows other technology decisions made by cable operators that have impacted TiVo. The use of switched digital video by operators such as Time Warner Cable, for example, require that TiVo boxes with CableCARDs to also be paired with separate Tuning Adapters to ensure that they can access channels in an MSO’s switched tier. But that kluge may be fleeting, as TiVo has recently developed an “embedded” way of supporting cable SDV without a Tuning Adapter that relies on updated client software and some additional work at the cable operator's headend. TiVo originally developed that for BlueRidge Communications, and plans to do the same for Cogeco of Canada.
- See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/te...st-s-mpeg-4-shift/383450#sthash.C699dXcl.dpuf

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/tivo-braces-comcast-s-mpeg-4-shift/383450

#24 ·
Cogeco TiVo Announcement

Apparently Cogeco is about to announce something to do with TiVo. Probably TiVo licensed pvr/tuners.
Does anyone have additional information?
This could be fantastic for Cogeco because their present software/hardware is extremely out of date and obsolete compared to Bell TV/Fiber and especially US cable providers.
I hope that Cogeco has invested significant resources ($) to upgrade or even surpass their competition.

#26 ·
The announcement was made this morning. TIVO arrives as of Monday. I already called, but they dont have the system ready yet to even book install appointments. Was told to call back Monday. Gave them feedback that if they're making a huge media announcement, they may want to have people trained already. Nobody knew what was going on over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.