Cogeco TiVo service - Page 25 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #361 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 12:48 PM

I'm having the Cogeco TIVO service installed today in my home. How do I go about setting it up so that my Asus Router is the one used for assigning IP addresses for connected devices etc instead of the Cogeco Router? I'm hoping it's possible? I believe it would be required to put the Cogeco Router in bridge mode but not sure if this would negatively impact the Tivo service in any way.

Also, should I have the technician connect everything via MoCA or Ethernet? I have wired ethernet throughout my house, wondering if there are pros/cons of MoCa over Ethernet etc?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 08:14 AM

My older Pace PVR has packed up and I have a new Tivo Arris DCX900 getting delivered.installed this week. I am completely unfamiliar with the Arris unit. I am told that the unit requires wifi capability to operate yet in the specs I can see no mention of wifi (only an RJ45 Ethernet connection,which I don't have at my TV). Thanks

LG-42PC5D,Antennas Direct DB8,CM0068C Preamp,CM9512A Rotor,CM 9537 Remote Control ,Tii - Gas Surge Arrestor
post #363 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 08:34 AM

While I still have the older TiVo T6 DVR unit, I don't think wifi is actually required to use either unit. I think they are trying to say that you need internet through them WITH their supplied wifi router.

OT a bit but I notice they no longer show a "regular" DVR on their website under Receivers. They show the new TiVo box, the TiVo mini and a basic HD receiver. Does this mean TiVo units are the ONLY DVRs they offer now? I can't downgrade to a Pace 2-tuner unit if I decide to go with another internet/phone provider? I hope not.

Cogeco - Basic + Mix 30 + Timeshifting, TiVo & 3 Minis, UltraFibre 120, Select Phone, Xbox360, Wii, iPad2 & LG G4

post #364 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 09:52 AM

I originally was intending to simply drive to my local Cogeco store and do a swap of my Pace PVR with a new one. They told me on the phone that they no longer hand out these models anymore and the only PVR they have is the Tivo model I mentioned. I then said ,OK, I will pick up one of them. They then replied that they have to send a technician out to do it because it cannot be installed by me. I asked them why and they said something about having to set up the wifi connection to the Tivo from my existing Cogeco modem.

LG-42PC5D,Antennas Direct DB8,CM0068C Preamp,CM9512A Rotor,CM 9537 Remote Control ,Tii - Gas Surge Arrestor
post #365 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 11:55 AM
Rookie

DCX900

I have the DCX900 tivo box its 4k also,they hook it up by moca connection.Only can be done with technician coming to your house to activate it ,he has to go into special settings to do all that.Hope that helps
post #366 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 12:39 PM

Thanks Mike. What is Moca ?

post #367 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 01:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
post #368 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-04, 01:48 PM

So, if this MoCA is used on the box (which it gets via the plugged in coax cable) does it also need or obtain a wifi signal from the Cogeco modem ? Thanks

post #369 of 369 (permalink) Old 2018-02-07, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehaggis View Post
I originally was intending to simply drive to my local Cogeco store and do a swap of my Pace PVR with a new one. They told me on the phone that they no longer hand out these models anymore and the only PVR they have is the Tivo model I mentioned. I then said ,OK, I will pick up one of them. They then replied that they have to send a technician out to do it because it cannot be installed by me. I asked them why and they said something about having to set up the wifi connection to the Tivo from my existing Cogeco modem.

We have a PVR which occasionally gives us trouble and on a recent trip to Pen Centre store to get a non working second TV HD box replaced I enquired about getting my older PVR switched. Was told I had to go through a service call and if it was faulty it would be replaced. They are obviously trying to get people switched to the TIVO system. It does seem that when needed they will replace the PVR for you.

I would switch but we winter in Florida and I use several cameras to monitor our house plus a Honeywell internet thermostat. I have read that it might be difficult to run my cameras through Cogecos router so am resisting a switch

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.