Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-10, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technut
We have different guide software on our 6412's on Shaw but I think they both behave the same in this aspect.

The problem is that your 6412 was Off when the scheduled time came, so it turned itself On to start recording and will always turn itself back Off at the end of the scheduled recording(s). In other words, it wakes up to record and goes back to sleep when it is done, and doesn't pay any attention to the fact you may be watching something.

The only way to avoid this is to always leave the 6412 turned On. It will start the scheduled recordings as usual but then it will leave itself On when they are done.
That makes sense... I, too, find it very annoying that it behaves that way. If the unit is on recording a program and I go to turn it on (not realising that it is recording) of course once I've turned the TV on I see the menu warning me that it is in the middle of recording a program. A nice feature would be for it to display "Program finished recording. Turn it off?" and if you aren't there, it takes no input as a YES, otherwise it could give you the option of saying, "No" and continue watching the program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 01:31 AM

I would prefer the 6412 and the 6208 to operate like my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder. In the Panasonic recorder the sceduled recording function and the ON/OFF function are separate. Scheduled recordings are not affected by powering the recorder ON or OFF. This makes much better sense than the way the Motorola PVR operates.
post #123 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 10:14 AM

"smart" box?

So I have another small greivence that I am hoping is resolved with the dual tuner software upgrade..... I was recording a show last night that I have had on a reapeating schedule, which has been fine, but last night it was a 2 hour show instead of it's typical hour and I looked in "my schedules" and it showed it there and that it was 2 hours..... however it only recorded the first hour!!!!!
It just seams that they have not even begun to take advantage of the capibilities of this box to make it simple to use and a powerful tool.

I hate to keep comparing it, but have the engineers who are designing this software ever USED a Tivo....... it of course has it's problems but it is definitely a design that was created with the end user in mind, as an example, cogeco has modified the guide to have the two boxes on the left to put in advertising content at the expense of 1/2 hour of visible guide....
I have great hopes for the next software version... I just hope they are justified.

(thanks for listening to my rant.... but I missed the end of "The Amazing Race" and it ticked me off)

post #124 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 10:29 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
That is sad, even my Rogers SA8300HD's IPG picks up these sorts of changes if properly done in the IPG.

If, however, the programme is incorrectly labelled in the IPG or the name of the programme changes for "part 2" of a two-part programme that's normally one part - instead of increasing the time, then the IPG is at fault and not the DVR.

How was the second part of Amazing race labelled, or was it properly labelled as a 2 hour programme?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #125 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 10:51 AM

Dumb Box was "smart box"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjw
So I have another small greivence that I am hoping is resolved with the dual tuner software upgrade..... I was recording a show last night that I have had on a reapeating schedule, which has been fine, but last night it was a 2 hour show instead of it's typical hour and I looked in "my schedules" and it showed it there and that it was 2 hours..... however it only recorded the first hour!!!!!
(thanks for listening to my rant.... but I missed the end of "The Amazing Race"
and it ticked me off)
Were you not able to catch it on the West coast station 3 hrs later??
I hope you are not in one of the underserviced Cogeco areas where you don't get the West coast HD channels. I guess you could have ordered the SD time delay channel right away and then cancelled it the next morning...

Luckily I spotted that failure as the PVR was allowing me to setup another show @ 10:30pm, even when the info window showed that my Schedule was for a 2 hr race... so I deleted prior set recording and re-entered it and so got the full 2 hrs and was then denied the 10:30 record setup as it should be.

I guess this is another example of the dumb box...
1) Does not adjust record settings to match the new TV guide info that it is now displaying.... I understand TiVo does that among other updated adjustments.
2) The 6412 is not aware that one is watching a stored recording and will switch off on completion of a scheduled record session without even remembering your spot in that other replayed program!

Sony KD-34XS955 SL-4BT Antenna Marantz SR4400 Paradigm Spkrs Tosh SD-5970 HDMI
post #126 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
How was the second part of Amazing race labelled, or was it properly labelled as a 2 hour programme?
Looking at my scheduled recording and info it showed 9-11... so I should expect that it would go for 2 hrs.
It was still really only a 9-10 block as I was able to schedule a 10:30 recording without a conflict error. That was my giveaway, so I cancelled schedule and reset the record to get the full 2 hrs.

Sounds like the broken Cogeco PVR/Iguide does not update itself any further than the display info... I guess it's not a TiVo!

Sony KD-34XS955 SL-4BT Antenna Marantz SR4400 Paradigm Spkrs Tosh SD-5970 HDMI
post #127 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 02:53 PM

I've noticed a similar problem. When you have a weekly recording set and the network changes the time of the program, it's not updated in the recording list. When you go to look at the scheduled recording for the changed program you get the information for the substituted program. All of this says to me that they are doing this following:

When you set a program to be recorder, all the PVR software stores in the Date/Time/Channel/Length informaton. When you go to view the scheduled recording it reads this information (Date/Time/Channel) and access the Guide for that time and channel and simply displauys what's on at that time on that channel. It evidently has no knowledge of the content of the program that was scheduled to be recorded. This is just sloppy programming on the part of the "programmers" who wrote the PVR software. Evidently it also didn't get much "real world" testing before it was released. One would hope they do a better job n the next release.
post #128 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 03:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
hmm, that sounds strange and would be "time based recording" (done by BEV DVRs) rather than "name based recording" (Done by Rogers SA DVRs and still better by TiVo).

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #129 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 03:42 PM
Digital Sage

I PVR'd Amazing Race last night like previous weeks. I knew ahead of time if i left my timer as is, it would only record the first hour (since my weekly timer was from 9-10).

Knowing i would have a problem i deleted the existing weekly timer and replaced it with a one time timer. Since the guide had 9-11 for last nights show it recorded as planned.

The show info (start/end times) is for the show and not the timer so i can see why folks would think they were recording for 2 hours and not one. It would be nice if the weekly timer (or daily, etc) had an expiry date (an actual date or the number of weeks, etc). This way the weekly timer would disappear and hopefully you would remember to create a new one.
post #130 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-11, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
hmm, that sounds strange and would be "time based recording" (done by BEV DVRs) rather than "name based recording" (Done by Rogers SA DVRs and still better by TiVo).
Not all that strange .. It certainly explains what's happening. Notice that you don't have the option to record "all instances of this program" - just weekly, daily etc. If it was set to flag the program as recorded rather than the time it could easily adapt to IPG changes.

I'm a software developer and this sounds just like a "Quick and Dirty" hack to get it out quickly. It's the "just get it working and who cares how it looks" method of programming which is usually reserved for shareware offerings. It has evidently not been through a usability assessment. Hopefully the next rev will be a better effort since we'll be stuck with it for years probably.
post #131 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-28, 12:15 PM

Dual Tuner

For the Cogeco insiders-----

Any ETA on the dual tuner being enabled?
post #132 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-28, 12:30 PM
Digital Sage

All along Cogeco has stated this summer. Not sure if that has changed at all. I'm not getting the 6412 until that happens. I have the 6208 now, which i will move to my other HDTV when i get the 6412.
post #133 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-30, 06:21 PM

Dual Tuner

Just called Cogeco---Not till fall
post #134 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-30, 07:32 PM

July/August, not fall, it'd go nuts if we launched it in the fall, since thats the busiest time of the year.
post #135 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-06-06, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

July/August isn't so bad, nothing to watch all summer anyway. I can't wait for the dual tuner though, I watch every Raptors game and so that is 3 prime-time segments a week that I still have to argue over with my wife, despite having the recorder. It is that exact sort of thing that I want the dvr to make go away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.