Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-04-27, 11:22 AM

Dual tuner - PIP?

Will the "inevitable" support for dual tuner in the 6412 have any effect on a TV's ability to support PIP? I haven't taken any time to investigate my 2+ year old Sammy, but the menu stated that it wouldn't do PIP with a component source.

If that is in fact the case, I'm wondering if the 6412 can provide a PIP even if your TV doesn't natively support it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-04-27, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter
Did you try using the 00 in front of the 995 on the macro code maybe this will help because different cabe systems use different coding systems and without knowing where you are from it could be different than the one posted by biglyle. Where I'am from here in Regina we don't use th "00" but I know other systems do. And thanks big lyle for that 30 sec. skip macro it works great here on Access cable in Regina. Patiently (well not really) waiting for the dual tuner activation since Nov. 8th/04 when I got my 6412,oh and more HD sports as well.
I ended up adding the 00 in front of the 995, didn't watch the blinking lights, and ended up setting the remote to control a cable box code of 0099!!! This is why a little knowledge can be dangerous. It took me awhile to figure out what I did. I should have known from setting up the macro that the first two zeroes were not necessary.
post #108 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-04-30, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon_fodder
Will the "inevitable" support for dual tuner in the 6412 have any effect on a TV's ability to support PIP? I haven't taken any time to investigate my 2+ year old Sammy, but the menu stated that it wouldn't do PIP with a component source.

If that is in fact the case, I'm wondering if the 6412 can provide a PIP even if your TV doesn't natively support it.
On my Sammy DLP HLN4265 the PIP does work for component inputs as the main window. So, if watching through Component (or XVGA OR DVI) I hit the PIP button I can then get the other inputs in the sub Window (and the swap says unavailable). On the other hand, if I am viewing a Composite source (VCR) then the Component sources are not available for the sub window. I'm not sure why this is, but that's how it works for me.

As for your original question, there is no mention of PIP in any of the 6412 documentation, but that doesn't mean that it won't be a new feature of a firmware upgrade in the future.

post #109 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-01, 12:14 PM

Viewing Recorded Programs while They are Recording

Not sure if I said that correctly but let me explain as this regularly happens to me and it's a bit of a pain.

If I'm recording a show from 9:00-10:00, and I jump in and start watching the partially recorded show at 9:30; at 10:00 (I've only watched 0:30 of the one hour show) a message appears on screen saying "the program is finished recording". That's fine. It's 10:00, the live broadcast is over.

But what I find annoying is that the 6412 shuts off at this point. As I'm watching the recorded portion (1/2 hour behind the live) I can not continue watching. I've got to turn the 6412 back on, then go to "My Recordings", pick the show I've partially watched, FF4 to the point at which the 6412 cut me off and then resume watching.

Is there any way in which I can just keep watching the show after the live broadcast has concluded? I've tried pressing a variety of different buttons on the remote, I've sat there and done nothing.... every time the 6412 shuts down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
post #110 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-01, 01:46 PM

What you should have done at 9:30 is rewound the receiver to the beginning of the program and watched it from the beginning. While you're doing that the machine is still recording the second half of the program. When the program is finished, the receiver should not shut off. If it does, then you will have to follow the procedure you outlined in your post. The simplest thing to do is record the entire program and then watch it from the beginning. Alternatively, turn the receiver on at the beginning of the program, but don't record. You can rewind to the beginning and watch the program, and the receiver will still store the balance of the program in its memory - which is erased once you switch channels or shut off the receiver. Confusing, isn't it?
post #111 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-01, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangoid
But what I find annoying is that the 6412 shuts off at this point.
We have different guide software on our 6412's on Shaw but I think they both behave the same in this aspect.

The problem is that your 6412 was Off when the scheduled time came, so it turned itself On to start recording and will always turn itself back Off at the end of the scheduled recording(s). In other words, it wakes up to record and goes back to sleep when it is done, and doesn't pay any attention to the fact you may be watching something.

The only way to avoid this is to always leave the 6412 turned On. It will start the scheduled recordings as usual but then it will leave itself On when they are done.

Mike / technut
post #112 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-02, 11:36 AM

Angry Cogeco Oakville

on saturday at 9:00 my tmn hd was all jitery during that HBO film(title escapes me now... president with polio). It looked like my pvr was on ff1. the sound was normal though. and it happened on tmn hd during deadwood sunday night. it was only happening on this hd channel. Is this a tmn/cogeco problem or is it my box?
post #113 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-02, 12:17 PM

I noticed some picture and sound jitters on the weekend too. It seemed to be contained to TMN. Enough to be noticeable but not so annoying as to call in.
post #114 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-02, 01:56 PM

A good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by technut
We have different guide software on our 6412's on Shaw but I think they both behave the same in this aspect.

The problem is that your 6412 was Off when the scheduled time came, so it turned itself On to start recording and will always turn itself back Off at the end of the scheduled recording(s). In other words, it wakes up to record and goes back to sleep when it is done, and doesn't pay any attention to the fact you may be watching something.

The only way to avoid this is to always leave the 6412 turned On. It will start the scheduled recordings as usual but then it will leave itself On when they are done.
This brings up a good point, is anyone else leaving their 6412 on all of the time. I am used to Tivo which stays on at all times, do theyrecomend this for the 6412??
post #115 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-02, 03:41 PM

Mine stays on all the time unless a family member inadvertently shuts it off. I find it handy that this method also gives the benefit of being able to rewind the channel that it was left on if it turns out to be interesting when the TV is flipped back on.
post #116 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-03, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterug
What you should have done at 9:30 is rewound the receiver to the beginning of the program and watched it from the beginning. While you're doing that the machine is still recording the second half of the program. When the program is finished, the receiver should not shut off.
That is not my experience... the 6412 is a dumb box. If it was off prior to record start it will return to that state upon recording completion no matter what the user has done, rewind, watch another recording, start present recording from the beginning.
I think this is ONLY because Cogeco has the second tuner turned off... if it were enabled we would have been using that 2nd tuner and it should not shut off.

Of course we will have to wait till Cogeco decides to turn it on...
I think they need to upgrade the head end equipment to carry the extra bandwidth first!! As of today they are still refusing to spend the money while they charge me full $$ for a broken HD service!!

Sony KD-34XS955 SL-4BT Antenna Marantz SR4400 Paradigm Spkrs Tosh SD-5970 HDMI
post #117 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-03, 01:56 PM

6412 Sound Drops - long

My sound drop problem saga revisited and updated!!
NOTE... I get sound drops when I use the digital sound out of my 6412 both SPDIF and optical outputs. Analog RCA output does not seem to give any sound drops.... though to be fair I have not used that source for any length of time. Why would I when my TV viewing is setup for HDTV and superior sound.

Cogeco has previously said that the sound drop was a problem of Yamaha equipment interaction with Motorola... I can now say that the problem also exists with Technics and Marantz receivers... which leads me to conclude that the problem is source (head end) or the Motorola unit and nothing to do with the connected amplifier equipment.
Why do companies always want to blame the other guy for problems??? I guess that is easier than taking the time to really find the cause, everyone is just too busy doing the everyday stuff to step aside and look at a problem with any in depth analysis. Oh, for the good old days when companies had the resources and/or the inclination to really get to the bottom of the problem. <Rant off>

Some of my recent testing makes me ask this question:
Since Cogeco has deployed the 6412 in single tuner mode.. would the sound drop problem go away with dual tuner setup??? I think it may well be solved by taking that step... see further below.

Having purchased a Marantz Receiver in the hope that my sound problems with my Technics receiver might go away... I can report that they have not. Though now that I have a higher grade receiver I can see more clearly what is wrong with my cable service audio!

The buzz I got with digital sound out from the 6412 and my Technics Receiver on channels 6/56/71/97/128 has gone away because my Marantz recognises the digital sound to be centre channel only!!
My Technics was trying to make that one sound source Dolby Stereo. The analog sound is recognised as 2 channel stereo by the Marantz.. that is the sound feed from the originator channel. I understand that Cogeco converts the analog sound feed to digital and sends it in addition to the original analog.. so for those above channels have they made an error?
No other channel that I can find exhibits that single centre channel encoded digital sound. NOTE Ch #906 shows 2 ch stereo even via the SPDIF output.. I understand that to be the audio source untouched by Cogeco.

Sound drops are still a problem and luckily today while the tech was here he could hear them... previously all I could do was show PVR recordings of them. Having changed the 6412 to a new unit I now am finding that the recorded program does not exhibit the sound drop on playback.
Could the single tuner setup be causing the sound drops??... since the live sound exhibits the drop (with PVR active or not) but the recorded sound on the PVR does not exhibit the sound drop!!
I think that is very likely the case... and am suggesting here that dual tuner setup (the way Motorola has designed the 6412 to work) may solve the sound drop problem.

I believe I am finding the sound drops to be more frequent on the digital channels (Nat Geo, BBCCA, Animal Planet) vs the HD channels... no scientific facts just an impression. Are they compressed more than the HD channels??

An aside... I have been unable to get VOD on my HD box for the last while but could do so on my regular DD box. The tech could not understand why that was the case on looking at the diag: readings... HD box gave 217 error while all the readings suggested the box was communicating well 2 way. A couple of refreshes from the head end solved this today with no visible reason for it... the tech was surprised and could see no reason why it would just auto fix after some time not related to any change/action.

So the saga goes on.....
Is it all due to high compression of the Cogeco feed and lack of equipment power at the head end to deliver the service correctly????
That is my conclusion/fear... and I am still paying full pop for this *broken* digital TV service.

Customer support and the techs are all trying their best but it seems that middle management decisions may well be the root cause of all these problems. Are they hiding the truth from the higher ups in the company too??

It must be really tough for the techs to work with a system that they know is broken and unable to deliver the QOS while being unable to let the customer know that. They have to come out over and over and make nice to the customer, while knowing in their heart the problem has not been solved.
I have been dealing with these problems since getting the 6412 in December. I think 3 tickets for these very same problems have been opened and closed since that time..... while the status quo remains that my service is broken.

Bell were just at my building yesterday saying they had upgraded the phone service in my neighbourhood and were now able to offer superior DSL services. If only they could supply HDTV service via the phone line...

post #118 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-03, 02:45 PM

I used to have the same problem with the drop outs, for reasons unknown I no longer get them. i honestly can't recall the last time I had a drop out. I still use my Yammy 1400 with the 6412, so nothing at all has changed on my end, and as far as I know nothing has changed locally on Cogeco's end either.
Hopefully this problem gets fixed for you, as I personally know how annoying it can be.
post #119 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-03, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglyle
I used to have the same problem with the drop outs, for reasons unknown I no longer get them. i honestly can't recall the last time I had a drop out. I still use my Yammy 1400 with the 6412, so nothing at all has changed on my end, and as far as I know nothing has changed locally on Cogeco's end either.
Hopefully this problem gets fixed for you, as I personally know how annoying it can be.
I wonder if Cogeco did some upgrades in your area?

I would appreciate if anyone who still gets sound drops could check and see if this happens for them too...

Soon after the sound drop, rewind PVR to before the drop and see if it is present in the PVR cache re-play.
I am finding that it is not there.... now this is new for me and my latest PVR.
I used to be able to replay the taped program on my original 6412 and hear the drops... that does not seem to be the case for me now.

post #120 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-05-04, 02:22 AM

I used to get occassional sound drops 3-4 months ago when I first got the PVR setup. I always assumed it was a problem of the buffer to the harddisk or something like that. The drops usually occurred when I was recording a show in the background while watching another previously recorded show. Another scenario was when I was watching the beginning of a show that was presently being recorded. In both instances the hard drive was being accessed in 2 ways at the same time and I assumed the audio drops were related to the buffer being unable to keep up with my demand on the system resources. I always found that when I watched a show (either live or prerecorded) without the PVR recording anything else that I had no problems at all. I also found that the drops were more prevelant when it was recording HD content and I assumed this was becauseit was saving more data per second.

After all this the drops seem to have stopped in the past 2 months and I have no explanation for it. I know how frustrating audio drops can be!

PeMiL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.