Cogeco HD/PVR (6412/6416) problem / question / results thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-11, 03:11 PM

Cool

I completely agree with you James. The 6208 has really changed my viewiing habits. When I go around to friends to watch the football I feel so constrained that I can't rewind a play!

It's one cool machine.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-11, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca
The "issue" you have with the buffer not recording is clearly stated in the instruction manual. If you don't like it, return it.

I stopped posting on this forum because of the constant whining from people who think they should have everything right now. If they activate the second tuner now, you'd complain about the bugs; if they make you wait, you complain about that too. I think you should chill out and be happy you can record HD.
The buffer not recording is not my "issue" I just agreed with some other post that it's mickey mouse. I didn't realize this forum was supposed to be a Cogeco love fest. I pay them upwards of $1000.00 per year and I expect some service for it. Cogeco may have been one of the first to introduce an HD PVR, BUT Rogers and Shaw introduced then later with the dual tuners enabled. The HD channel selection of Cogeco is inferior to almost any other lineups I've seen (especially in my area where we don't get NBC and PBS) and the price is the highest. I like to get a reasonable value for my money, and with a little effort Cogeco could do it. BTW: I have no complaints at all about the service personal. I've always found them to be responsive and polite. The problems is with their technology. It's simply lagging behind the other providers and since they have a monopoly on Cable there's very few other choices out there.

Last edited by QuantumRealityBytes; 2005-03-11 at 04:50 PM.
post #63 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-11, 05:33 PM

Quatumrealitybites,

I gave Cogeco a compliment and you say you "didn't know it was supposed to be a Cogeco lovefest". It's not, and wasn't meant to be. I'm just trying to redress some of the balance of the unhappy people who post.

Like James99 says, you expect bugs when you're an early adopter. I doubt very much that Shaw's hardware is completely bug free. And I still maintain that if you had two tuners, you'd want a third and a bigger harddrive; and when you got three tuners you'd want a free poster or something.

Also, a guy that works for Cogeco told you "it's not as easy as you think" to clear up the software, at which point you hit him with your Commodore 64 comment. If you know something he doesn't know, give him some tips.

Like I say man, no hard feelings, I just think we should be grateful for what we've got when some people in Niagara can't even get HD.

J

post #64 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-11, 07:17 PM

Bottom line is when you buy something you expect it to work. I researched the 6412 before getting it and saw it had a dual tuner. Opened the box to find an cardboard insert saying that this won't be enabled until fall 2005. Then I find out that Shaw has already enabled this. Last month a friend picked up a Rogers SA 8300HD and lo and behold it ALSO has a dual tuner enabled. This has been enabled for US cable customer ever since the 6412 shipped. Don't get me wrong, the HD PVR is nice but it COULD be many times better if only this feature were enabled. I look out and see it enabled in every place where they use this box EXCEPT Cogeco. That's my frustration.
Quote:
Also, a guy that works for Cogeco told you "it's not as easy as you think" to clear up the software, at which point you hit him with your Commodore 64 comment. If you know something he doesn't know, give him some tips.
Why is it so difficult for Cogeco and no one else?
post #65 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-13, 03:05 AM

[QUOTE=

Why is it so difficult for Cogeco and no one else?[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I have to butt in here. BellExpressVu has had their SD PVR 5xxx series disabled since early January and still haven't come up with a software solution to the fiasco. I'm here surveying what Cogeco has to offer and what their subscribers are experiencing since I find the BellExpressVu situation intolerable.
post #66 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-15, 09:35 AM
IHM

Quote:
Why is it so difficult for Cogeco and no one else?
Because few cable companies use the exact software and methods that we do. As a result each guide/update has to be customized and tested on our system. That takes time and sometimes larger cable companies get if done first.

That being said...don't worry, we are working on it.

All opinions expressed are my own.
post #67 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-15, 10:33 AM

As much as I want the dual tuner activated, I would rather see a complete overhaul done the guide itself. If there was one thing I liked about Bell, it was their guide. The cogeco guide seems primitive at best to me, no abilty to remove channels you dont subscribe to, no way to veiw the guide and keep the channel you are watching visible, and a color/design scheme that looks like a commodore 64 menu.
post #68 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-15, 10:42 AM
IHM

Quote:
As much as I want the dual tuner activated, I would rather see a complete overhaul done the guide itself.
I hear you there! As I understand it this will be a much nicer guide (haven't seen it yet)

post #69 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-15, 11:47 AM

Thats great news.
Glad to have you posting here.
post #70 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 09:14 AM

What I would really like to see from Cogeco is the PQ issue from these boxes resolved. Although I love the features of these PVRs I feel like I have stepped back in time. The digital artifacting and the degredation of the signal due to passing through the PVR is almost unbearable. If you look closely, it even degrades HD.
post #71 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 10:46 AM

That's too bad. That's something I was hoping I wouldn't hear. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating", so if the PQ suffers from the PVR processing then what's the point of the exercise ? A badly produced recording is better than no recording at all ? I don't think so.
post #72 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 11:18 AM
Digital Sage

I think PQ issues vary from area to area. I'm very happy with PQ but others are not.
post #73 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 11:28 AM
IHM

Program Quality is in the eye of the beholder to a great deal. While it may be an issue for Dlpnut, you will want to look at it before deciding if it meets *your* expectations.

post #74 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 11:39 AM

How does one go about doing that ? Do they have models on display at their offices in Burlington I can view ? But then, if PQ varies from area to area, then what is displayed in Burlington may not necessarily be the kind of PQ displayed in East Oakville.
post #75 of 708 (permalink) Old 2005-03-16, 12:05 PM
IHM

Quote:
Do they have models on display at their offices in Burlington I can view ?
Yes, they have a 6412 attached to a projection screen (as well as other models)

950 Syscon Rd.
8am-7pm (m-f)
10am-5pm (sat)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.