Working with Cogeco and Tivo HD
Thank you jackastor!!!! (and of course the others who contributed to this thread)
I had an old Series2 that I gave up when I moved to HD. Got the Pace box from Cogeco and *hated* it (seeing as I was used to a TiVo)
I read this thread and decided it was worth trying. Picked up a TiVo HD and a Motorola M-Stream cable card on eBay and I now have all my digital channels, including HD.
I will note that for mine I did the following things:
1. Activated my TiVo with the TiVo service before inserting the cable card -- so it could get all the guide data first.
2. After I had the guide data, I wrote down the numbers from the card (sn and ua) and popped the card in my TiVo
3. Called Cogeco, told them I had a box to activate. Didn't mention TiVo or Cablecards. I did say it was a DCT2000 and that the guy I bought it from said it had to be activated as a 1 way device. When I gave him the serial number he thought it was wrong, but I just told him that was the number for "s/n" on it, and he went ahead and tried it with no more problems.
4. When he activated it he said my box should shut off and once that happened I should leave it for 30 minutes then turn it on. My TiVo never shut off, or did anything that indicated that it was doing anything (it was just on the card 'status' screen). At this point I ended the call (I was called away in real life and had to go).
When I came back to the TiVo about an hour later, I tried the channels and they all worked except for HD!! I don't know if it would have immediately worked -- or if waiting did the trick, I never thought to actually look -- I had assumed I would see something on the status screen
5. For my HD channels, I only had 2 -- all of the rest of the HD channels were just blank screens -- no messages, no picture, no nothing. I called Cogeco and he tried to reactivate the box for HD. Again, he thought the SN was very strange, but had no problems trying. When he couldn't get it to activate, he looked into the DCT2000 and found it was a SD only box. I just told him that mine wasn't because it had a HDMI port on it. This really confused him, but he tried again anyway. When that didn't work he offered to send a tech out to help. Obviously I didn't want this (I certainly wouldn't waste Cogeco's time having a tech call for something that they don't support) so I told him I'd call back
With my normal cable box, when channels don't work I get a 'not authorized' message. The TiVo just showed me literally nothing but a blank screen... I figured it was worth a shot...
I changed the channel to one of the problem HD stations, called Cogeco and asked them to authorize my HD channels on my new receiver. She looked and said that I only had 1 HD receiver on my account (the Cogeco PVR box). I said something like 'yeah, your records show the other one as SD, but it is HD for sure since it has a HDMI port' -- she seemed to accept that and 30 seconds later my HD channels appeared on screen!
Everyone at Cogeco was very helpful for me -- they asked a few questions but were willing to at least give it a try.
On the off chance that anyone from Cogeco corporate reads this... take this as a PLUS to your business. The Pace PVR box & iGuide was crap, and offered no reason to stay with Cogeco. Now that I've got my TiVo working (with the help of your friendly, English speaking staff) you've got a paying monthly customer for many more decades. That little effort went a long way in making me happy!