Eastlink MOCA extender? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Eastlink MOCA extender?

My father is in a nursing home where they have Eastlink service. I'm trying to get Internet service into his room that currently has no WiFi signal because it's on another floor, far from the main office where the wireless router is.

I called Eastlink to ask them whether I can get a MOCA extender to put in his room, which does have a coax outlet for the TV. Of three people I spoke to at Eastlink, none really seemed clear on the difference between a MOCA extender and the 'regular' wireless extender they offer that simply picks up the existing WiFi signal and repeats it (not a viable solution in this case).

One of the tech support reps did suggest they have a MOCA extender but that it only works with Maestro service. She didn't seem so sure, though, and she was unable to provide me with model numbers of either the MOCA extender or the supposedly-compatible modem. I live hundreds of miles away so I'm not very familiar with Eastlink's offerings and I don't know what Maestro is. From the website it looks like it's just an upgraded tier of TV/DVR service so it's not clear to me how this would affect the availability of MOCA on the system. If it does, then I'll have to ask the facility what kind of service is installed there.

Can anyone give me accurate information about this and tell me exactly what I need to ask Eastlink for, if this is even possible? Or if I can just buy my own MOCA extender somewhere else and connect it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2018-02-10, 12:27 PM

I don't live in Eastlink territory, but maybe I can clarify a few things. It's unlikely that the nursing home uses Maestro since it's a whole-home PVR/DVR designed for single residences. It uses MoCA to transmit a video signal from the PVR to a Set-top Box to allow it to watch recorded programs from the central PVR. Eastlink also offers a Maestro Streamer which allows the PVR content to be viewed over a home WiFi network on tablets an smartphones. I think that's what the rep was talking about. See this post.

Eastlink's Maestro Whole Home DVR (was Ultra)

I don't think most cable companies sell or support MoCA adapters for internet access, so you would have to arrange that with the nursing home, since there could be conflicts with multiple MoCA networks in the same building - see post 49 of this thread for an example:

Shaw BlueSky TV Hardware Information

The nursing home would also have to give you access to their network. I'm not sure if the type of MoCA extender you were thinking about plugs into a RJ45 port on a router.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.