Eastlink's Maestro Whole Home DVR (was Ultra) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Eastlink's Maestro Whole Home DVR (was Ultra)

Advanced Whole Home DVR with Graphic Rich Guide, Tablet & Smart Phone Integration

Eastlink unveiled its new video entertainment service today - called Ultra Whole Home DVR - for customers seeking the most advanced video entertainment experience in one, easy-to-use platform.

Eastlink's Ultra Whole Home DVR service provides the most intuitive and user-friendly video entertainment experiences. Eastlink customers can now enjoy:

• a modern, graphic-rich digital guide with advanced search capabilities and access to rich Video OnDemand search functionality
• the ability to record up to six programs simultaneously and have them available on every TV in the home
• full DVR functionality including the ability to pause live TV from every TV in the home
• the ability to remotely schedule DVR recordings
• the most DVR storage with 500 GB built-in (over 200 hours of HD content), with the ability to extend through the addition of external storage
• the ability to control your TV with your iPad including set up of remote recordings (coming soon)
• the ability to share content including pictures from your computer to your TV screen
• games on your TV
• Internet connectivity with WiFi to support both in-home wireless networking, iPad application, and media streaming from computer to TV
• Premium Whole Home Support Service
• Lifetime warranty

Ultra Whole Home DVR is currently available to customers in Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, Sackville and St. Margaret's Bay and will be made available to other communities in Nova Scotia and markets across Canada nationally over the coming months.

Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...O_EN_24139.jpg

Source: Press Release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

According to the picture, this service uses the same Arris hardware as the Shaw Gateway system. This system uses a gateway that contains the 6 tuners and hard drive, but is not connected to a TV. A portal is required for each TV and receives it's video feed from the gateway. According to Eastlink's web page the hardware is $35/mth (although they don't specify how many portals are included). Some additional info:

http://www.eastlink.ca/CableDigitalTV/DVR.aspx

Quote:
You can enjoy all the features of the HD/3D Whole Home DVR plus:
  • New, intuitive digital guide with improved design and advanced search features. You can keyword search TV, OnDemand and recorded content to quickly find your favourites
  • Never miss a thing with simultaneous recordings for up to 6 programs
  • Control Live TV & recorded programs – pause, rewind, fast forward and replay on all TV’s connected to your network
  • Store 100's of hours of your favourite programming – up to 300 hours of SD and 200 hours of HD programming. Need more space? You have access to store even more with DVR Expander
  • Internet connectivity with WiFi to support both in-home wireless networking, iPad application, and media streaming from computer to TV
  • Coming Soon: Download our Apple iOS app* to go online and remotely manage your DVR. You can schedule and delete recordings, or change your DVR settings from wherever you are. You can also turn your iPad into a remote control! *Android app to follow
  • Extra fun with access to 12 interactive games
  • Includes Premium Support Service to ensure you get the best from your Ultra Whole Home DVR and manage all your connected devices in your home
  • Lifetime warranty
post #3 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 02:37 PM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
$35/month is sure expensive. I already own my DCX3400, so am paying $5/month for the "whole home DVR" service right now, with no additional rental charges. My other HD (non PVR, DCX700) is included free. I don't think it is worh paying another $30/month for this right now, unless the features are REALLY fancy.

I wonder what Shaw subscribers are paying for their Gateway service?

post #4 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 03:13 PM

Shaw folks don't rent their equipment; they buy it.
http://www.shaw.ca/television/equipment/

$498 for the gateway and 2 portals. You need 1 portal per TV.
$138 for each additional portal.

They have a 3 year rent to own program.
$14/ month for GW + 2 portal, $4/ month for each extra portal.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #5 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 04:04 PM

Shaw's rates are much, much, better than Eastlink's on this one. I think I will pass for now, unless rates are lowered, and hopefully, a purchase option will be offered in the future as well.
post #6 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 08:46 PM

Right now for us we pay $19.95 for a PVR rental. Multiply that by two because my in-laws live with us and have their own box. Plus add a second DCX700 at 5.99 since the first is free with service plus a further $5 a month for Whole Home DVR (the regular version) and $2.95 for wifi. That makes $53.84 a month (Holy geez, now that I see that number ) If it is $35 a month and gives all that it does, I'm in!

My concerns are:

1. How many portals do I get for that price, how much is it for extra boxes and can the "server" be used for one of the TVs?

2. I understand it would replace my wifi modem, great....what about the 3 wired devices plugged into my wifi modem right now? If there is one ethernet port on the back to a switch, I'm OK with running a Cat5e cable to my computer room and getting a gigabit switch. I'm speculating that it has that feature of course.

It probably won't be live here for a quite awhile but I'm sure more info will be around by then.

Cogeco - Basic + Mix 30 + Timeshifting, TiVo & 3 Minis, UltraFibre 120, Select Phone, Xbox360, Wii, iPad2 & LG G4
post #7 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denben73 View Post

2. I understand it would replace my wifi modem, great....what about the 3 wired devices plugged into my wifi modem right now? If there is one ethernet port on the back to a switch, I'm OK with running a Cat5e cable to my computer room and getting a gigabit switch. I'm speculating that it has that feature of course.
as per shaw's site it has "4 x Gigabit Ethernet ports" i would be interested in this also but 35$ is a bit steep might take some convincing for the wife to let me get it. what would be even better would be the uverse receivers that AT&T has in the usa. they run on wireless so no need to run a bunch of cables but that could present its own sets of challenges
post #8 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 11:40 AM

Anyone know of someone who has this yet, or has it themselves?

greenshadow, thanks for that info! I'm really interested right now, but like I said it depends on the number of terminals you get plus the cost of adding extras. I'll need to give their site a look over again, to see if they've added some new info about it.

Cogeco - Basic + Mix 30 + Timeshifting, TiVo & 3 Minis, UltraFibre 120, Select Phone, Xbox360, Wii, iPad2 & LG G4
post #9 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 01:58 PM

If only this wasn't so expensive, especially compared to Shaw's pricing model, I might consider it. However, I own my own PVR right now, so will stay with the whole home PVR for now, costing $5/ month.
post #10 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 06:07 PM

I found out the info I was looking for on their Facebook page when someone asked the question today. You get the "server" and two terminals for $35 a month. Each extra terminal costs $5.95 per month. And you need a box for each TV, the server doesn't attach to a TV. For us, we would save $7 a month. I would think I could put the main box here in my computer room too since all the Ethernet cables come into here too. and it doesn't attach to anything.

Just wondering how big the the main box is. Mind you, it could be a year or two before it comes this way. We know how much they let us know things in advance.

Last edited by denben73; 2013-03-15 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to included the $5 "Whole Home DVR" rental in savings amount.
post #11 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Dimensions

Copied from a Shaw post:

Portals
  • Width: 27.3cm
  • Length: 16.5cm
  • Height: 4.5cm
Gateway:
  • Width: 34.3cm
  • Length: 31.1cm
  • Height: 8.2cm
post #12 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-15, 08:19 PM

Um, thanks. I was just going to look it up later. Appreciated.

post #13 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 04:29 PM

wow that is expensive, i won't expect to see it here anytime soon. Honestly unless it owns up to its "WOW' factors i probably won't have it in my home. I have 4 tv's and by the sounds of it, instead of paying a 1.00 for my extra boxes i would be paying more in the end. Oh eastlink when will you learn that your customers want more for less and not more for more. Maybe someday it will come down in price. I do like the whole idea of the U-verse like AT&T in the great USA it would save me more hassle of more wires. Has anyone updated to the new whole dvr yet, I wonder what games they offer and what the guide and search is like. Hopefully someone will update soon.
post #14 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 07:09 PM

Take a look at the shaw gateway system on their website it uses the same system as eastlink ultra home pvr. However looking at the website eastlink will have dnla and built in wifi activated where as shaw has not activated it yet.
post #15 of 179 (permalink) Old 2013-03-17, 08:51 PM

lol "I found out the info I was looking for on their Facebook page when someone asked the question today." i was the one who asked that but sadly will be going to bell aliant fiberopp next month, i getting a way better deal with them then eastlink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.