5.1 DD Sounds as if it's in mono - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 57

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-22, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

5.1 DD Sounds as if it's in mono

I notice this terrible sound while viewing these channels:

CBC (both CBC and Newsworld), PBS Austin City Limits ( seems most other programming is ok), Hockey Night in Canada on CBC play by play but it's fine when they go to Coaches Corner or other studio takes. TSN Leafs hockey and Sports Net Leafshockey. Also fine during commercials or studio interviews.

All other channels are fine.

If I go into settings and enable discriptive video or change audio output to other instead of Dolby Digital it sounds better but I don't get 5.1 sound.

What is going on? I'm using a next box 3.0 but it does the same b. S on the next box 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-22, 11:40 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The channels you mention often send what I call "improperly encoded DD5.1" when the original programme was DD2.0. See Note 1 of the following FAQ:

FAQ - What's Available in DD5.1

The audio comes out the LF & RF speakers (basically stereo) instead of correct surround sound on programming that was originally DD2.0 on CBC, CBC affiliates and some PBS channels/programming. When the original programming is DD5.1, then there are no issues.

Welcome to the forum. Here's another useful link:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum
drhart905 likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-23, 10:42 AM
Veteran

57 is correct. The problem is with the program source or the broadcaster. The Nextbox is working fine. The same thing can happen with programming that was recorded in mono or low quality stereo, such as B&W movies, even if the audio is properly encoded.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-19, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the responses folks. Getting frustrated without a solution as some channels like CBC News Network can barely be heard. TSN is not as bad but still not good. Worse than mono. It's odd that when I put described video on it sounds perfectly normal. My buddy with basically the same setup has none of these issues. Any other thoughts?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-24, 06:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Run a speaker test (or setup) on the AVR to make sure you hear all the speakers and that they're balanced in terms of volume. Also make sure you've got the AVR on the correct surround sound mode.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes both of those check out fine. I never had this problem with Directv.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 12:11 AM

In your NB3.0, go into Settings - Audio - Audio Output. Make sure it's set to DD, not Other. Also check that you have Described Video disabled. - Edit - Looks like you already tried that in post 1. Are you connected directly to the AVR or are you going "through" a TV. If the latter, try a direct connection from the NB2/3 to the AVR. Have you rebooted the NextBoxes? (unplug, wait a few seconds, replug. Make sure you don't have any recordings at the time.) Have you tried the same input on the AVR as your DirecTV?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I notice this terrible sound while viewing these channels:
Can you describe this? Is it a screeching noise or something similar? Can you tell us which device is being used to listen? (TV or A/V make and model and how they are connected.)

If it is a screeching noise, I've run into this situation in a couple of situations. One is where the equipment is incapable of decoding the audio stream properly. That's usually when an incompatible format is being used but it's possible that the receiving device could get tripped up by a non-standard, otherwise compatible format. The other situation was with a bad or improperly configured digital audio cable cable.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-05-20, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I didn't have my main speakers hooked up properly. I had to run another speaker wire from the bi/amp input on the receiver to the bottom connectors on the speaker. Thank you to my good friend for helping me figure it out. Imagine only having your tweeters running on your mains. Not a pretty picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.