Successfully Connect a PVR 3.0 to a Standard TV? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Archer. On the PVR 2.0, I went into the settings and saw the 480i setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 03:45 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Is there anyway you can check the setting on the NB3?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 03:57 PM

Here are the connections on the TV, as far as I can tell;

So the Yellow/Red/White that run Vertically on the Left are indeed Input 1

Then the Yellow/Red that run Horizontal and the White directly below the Red are the Input 2 ports.

I would say, ignore the Red/White for now, just try the Yellow OUTput on the box to either of the Yellow INputs, see if there is anything there.

Do you have any other device to prove that the Video (Yellow) INputs on the TV actually work, or was the older Rogers box used on this TV.

Hope the image helps.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 04:00 PM

Is there an "S" Video port on the Rogers box? or just a TV OUT port.?
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 04:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the pdf for the 9865/NB3. You should be using the yellow composite output and the two audio outputs below that. You should connect those three cables to input 1 of the TV (the 3 left-most inputs)

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/...L-26440-01.pdf

You need to "tune/switch" the TV to input 1. The 9865 has to be on and tuned to a channel. It must also be authorized and connected to cable - it will not work without authorization and cable connection, although you might be able to "see" an error message or something similar on the TV if the 9865 is not functioning properly or authorized.

Since the composite output only handles 480i, the settings in the 9865 shouldn't matter.

Here's a FAQ on things to check. Try 3 different cables if you have them - they can be any colour as long as you connect the ends properly to the two devices - yellow to yellow, red to red, white to white, of course the red/white are audio cables and need to be connected to audio inputs/outputs. There is no s-video out on the 9865 and there is also no RF-coax out. Make sure the inputs and outputs are clean (no dust) so that there is a good connection and make sure you insert the cables all the way. Sometimes if the TV hasn't utilized an input in a long time, the switch to that input may be "dirty" and not function properly - usually switching it to that input and away from that input may eventually make it work.

FAQ - Things to check first.

Here's an FAQ on Cables & Connections:

FAQ - Cables & Connections

Here's a useful post: HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 07:16 PM
Rookie

I can confirm that the Nextbox3 WILL work with a Standard TV. Out of interest I dug out my old Commodore 64 Color monitor, powered it up and connected a cable from the Composite Video output of my Nextbox3 to the Composite Video input on the monitor and the picture came up fine. This was in parallel with a 1080P picture displaying on my HDTV.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 08:47 PM

Silly question... the OP is changing to the right INPUT as well?

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi fellows and thank you for your help with my problem. Was out this afternoon and will begin reading and following through with all your recommendations as they pertain to my TV and PVR 3.0.
James I'm afraid I don't know what 'NB3' refers to in this instance.
Allan thanks so much for posting the photo of the back of my RCA TV. I tried for a good half hour last night trying to locate a photo of the RCA television.
Will keep you posted with my results.

Thanks,
Oaky
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

My actual setup does include a Toshiba DVD video recorder (model DVR620KC) and the red, white, yellow cables run from the PVR 3.0 into the DVD player and out of there and into my TV. That is how I have the PVR 2.0 connected and it works fine.
I left the connections exactly the same, as previously mentioned, for the PVR 3.0 hook up.
I will follow through with the suggestions now, beginning with Allan, and leaving the red and white disconnected and only using the yellow.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

When I plug the yellow cable in alone on the box and into either input 1 or 2 on the back of the TV, I get no results. I made sure to switch the TV to the proper input as well, depending which input the cable was plugged into on the back of the TV. Actually when I press input on the TV's original remote, it reds 'VID 1' or 'VID 2" on the screen. I'm assuming that means input 1 or 2.

There is no "S" Video port on the back of the Rogers PVR 3.0.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

57 thank you for your post. I tried and ensured everything was connected as you mentioned in your post.
Archer thank you for that info-much appreciated.
gdkitty, not sure what you mean?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay gentlemen.
I removed the red, white and yellow cables from the DVD video recorder and went straight into the TV with them (bypass the recorder altogether) and got both the picture and sound (input 1).
That is great news and a sense of "finally" or "at last".
Thank you to everyone of you who helped me solve this problem I encountered. Sometimes it can be so darn frustrating.

Now can someone tell me why I am able to have the PVR 2.0 work fine while going into the recorder and then into the TV with the composite cables but yet in order to get the PVR 3.0 to work, I have to bypass the recorder? That doesn't make sense unless there's an input 1 or input 2 on the recorder itself, which I hadn't switched to input 1. It's practically a brand new Toshiba DVD recorder. Would that make sense, that there is an input 1 and 2 setting on the recorder that has to be indicated when I'm using input 1 on the TV?
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-16, 11:53 PM
Veteran

Successfully Connect a PVR 3.0 to a Standard TV?

I am guessing the DVD Recorder channel was wrong. My old Samsung R120, it had to be on L1 to get it to work.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for that DSgamby.
Here's an added piece of information pertaining to the PVR 3.0 not working with the composite cables plugged into the recorder. I just went back and ran the 3 cables into DVR recorder again and out of there and back into the TV. Again no picture and sound.
However as soon as I turned on the recorded, both picture and sound obtained.

So why does the PVR 2.0 work with the recorder turned off and the PVR 3.0 only works if the recorder is turned on? Again might there be a setting in the recorder that needs to be on for the PVR 3.0 to work with the recorder not having to be on?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-01-17, 12:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
James I'm afraid I don't know what 'NB3' refers to in this instance.
The PVR model that's currently available is called "Nextbox 3" by Rogers. The previous model was "Nextbox 2". I don't know why you were referring to them as PVR 2.0 and 3.0.
GaryE likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.