Rogers Navigatr Firmware/Guide - Please read post 1 And Links There. - Page 82 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 387Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1216 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-08, 11:05 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbox3.0user View Post
Are programs stored on the harddrive or somewhere else (ie if I replaced the hard drive would my recording be gone as well?)
Recorded programmes are on the hard drive. Yes, you would lose the recording if you replaced the drive or performed a Factory Reset, or exchanged the PVR.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1217 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-08, 08:43 PM
Veteran

Just had the guide lock up while using it. This is the second time since the latest update. Once is an anomaly, twice is a bug. There has always been a bug in the guide that stopped it from displaying properly. It seemed to go away with the previous update. Now it is back and has just become much worse, resulting in a complete lack of response in the guide. The work around is to press Exit and reenter the guide. Does Rogers know what regression testing is? It sure doesn't seem like it.
post #1218 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-09, 12:15 AM

My NB3 suddenly lost all “Favourites”.

Robbers 4250HD, 8300HD [500GB], 8642HD, 9865HD

post #1219 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 01:28 AM

Quote:
we shouldn't need to go through the timer and recordings lists to weed out duplicates. Other PVRs do that automatically.
I think even my old TiVo Series 2 (SD) DVRs had 3 options for recording a series: New, New & Repeats, All. Rogers Navigatr seems to offer only New and All, with nothing equivalent to New & Repeats (which records one instance of every episode). I guess the logic just isn't there (and way too many episodes just describe the series, even on day of broadcast).

Another pet peeve (which may have been discussed) is that the Rogers PVR won't record the same channel on 2 tuners at the same time. Because the recording clock is out of sync with broadcasts, I default to ending recordings 5 minutes late. With 8 (?) tuners that's no big deal, but if consecutive recordings are on the same channel, it doesn't record the overlap on both, and there's a brief gap between them. It's very frustrating, and I have to remember to watch recordings in order of broadcast (or not delete a recording if it starts with the end of something else).

I'm definitely going to look to Bell first when I move in a year or so, even though I hate Bell as a company more than I dislike Rogers.

=aw
post #1220 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 07:03 AM
Veteran

The time issue may be more due to the broacasters. If you compare the PVR clock to NTP, you'll find it's quite accurate. Some channels are worse than others. For example, the Smithsonian can be really bad, but WNED & TCM are always right on. For sequential recordings on the same channel, I see if the channel has more than one number. By using different channel numbers, the problem is avoided. Back when I had the 8300, I'd often use the west coast channels, if there were more than 2 shows I wanted at the same time here.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #1221 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 06:42 PM
Veteran

The problem with timer times is not so much the clock but the way timers start and stop. They often start late and stop early, especially if there is more than one timer in the same time slot.

The consecutive timer problem is easily solved. Channels and shows appear at multiple places in the guide and at different times. Just use a different channel and time. Don't expect to always get the 5 minute extension with consecutive shows, even if the shows are on different channels. The NextBox won't use all 8 tuners in that situation.

The problem with duplicate shows is an easy one to solve but Rogers doesn't seem to have even tried. Bell (AKA Echostar/Dish) receivers have not recorded duplicate recordings for about 10 years. Even shareware HTPC software does it correctly. Every show has a unique ID that can be used to prevent duplicate recordings. That's very easy to check.
post #1222 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-16, 03:18 PM

The Smithsonian had/has this terrible habit of starting and ending shows at odd times. I think it was because they took the ads out leaving an odd length. Now, even worse, when they have ads in some shows the breaks are not all the same length so one ends up having to fast reverse some odd time.
I hope the guy who invented the idea of ads in tv programs is in one the lowest levels of the Dantean Hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #1223 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-16, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebber View Post
I think even my old TiVo Series 2 (SD) DVRs had 3 options for recording a series: New, New & Repeats, All. Rogers Navigatr seems to offer only New and All, with nothing equivalent to New & Repeats (which records one instance of every episode). I guess the logic just isn't there (and way too many episodes just describe the series, even on day of broadcast).
It doesn't help thet Rogers can't always be relied upon to tag shows as "new" correctly.
post #1224 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-16, 11:46 PM
Veteran

Rogers NextBox can't be counted on to record anything correctly, tagged as new or not. I've had several series that just stopped recording. Another one stopped recording on Sunday. The timer must be deleted and recreated, resulting in disjointed groups for the same series. The missing episode is not being repeated and is not available on VOD either. Several series recordings on Sunday did not show up in the scheduled timers list and were not marked in the guide. I set manual single timers just in case. They ended up recording twice.

The problem with new programs being tagged incorrectly is usually due to the station, not Rogers. Showcase series on TMN are never marked as new. They haven't been for years. I've notified TMN and Rogers but they can't be bothered doing anything about it. It's no wonder Rogers is losing customers. They charge premium prices and supply so called premium channels but can't be bothered delivering the shows reliably. The shows that don't record properly on customer PVRs are often missing from Rogers VOD service as well. Then they complain about people pirating shows. Some of them are not pirating shows, they are just getting what they paid Rogers for that Rogers didn't deliver.
post #1225 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-17, 10:56 PM

I've noticed another thing. One of my 2 PVRs is clearly faster than the other, when browsing through Navigatr's guide. The faster one is the older type of 9865 (slightly bigger box). I guess that different hardware is the answer.
post #1226 of 1226 (permalink) Old 2018-05-19, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Bugs, bugs, bugs, ...

Found another odd situation. The recordings list on the two PVRs are not synchronized. Some recordings show up on one box but not the other and visa versa. Not sure if this is due to corruption after the v6.6 upgrade disaster or is a bug in the new firmware. Either way, it should not be happening. Rebooting doesn't seem to help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in