Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Navigatr Firmware/Guide - Please read post 1 And Links There.

226K views 1K replies 125 participants last post by  metalhawk 
#1 ·
Navigatr : https://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/nextbox/9087

Edit by @57: Rogers started rolling out Navigatr to some areas on July 28th. It erased the HDDs on many 8642s and is an abomination of an interface. It's discussed in more detail in this thread and on the Rogers forum. Rogers stopped the rollout to other areas for several months, however, as of late December, the rollout recommenced and "everyone" with 8642, 9865, 4642 NextBoxes has it now (excepting a few people running SARA on their (early) 8642s)

Navigatr is used on 4642, 8642, 8600, 9865, CAV10242, CAV10455 STBs.

Tip: Try pressing buttons like "Info" "Settings" "Guide" "OK/Select" in various modes like when you're watching live or watching recorded programming. You will then see what those buttons do (if anything). You can even try "A" "B" "C" or "D" "Page+" "Page-" ">" "<" "Down", "Up". If something happens that you don't want, you can usually hit "exit" to get out of any situation.

I've created a new summary of issues for the latest Navaigtr, along with some tips - see link below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...-summary-list-good-bad-huh-3.html#post2838305

Gdkitty has developed the following "How To" guide over on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:

Navigatr Guide - How To - Rogers Community

Useful link for those new to Navigatr: Solved: Re: Nextbox 3.0 recording issue - Page 4 - Rogers Community

Summary of Issues (From Rogers' Forum - July 28th Version - For Historical Purposes Only)

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt. However with Rogers past history of launching new things I can only imagine that this new guide will be launched and it will take another year to iron out the bugs! Meanwhile, customers will once again be left in the lurch!

#3 ·
Interesting. Kinda knew this was coming. The getting started guide my friend got a few months ago had this guide in the photo but in a different colour scheme.

Looks nice and hopefully isn't buggy and laggy like RTN. Sadly (or maybe not) I just cancelled by TV subscription so I won't get a chance to check this out. Hopefully the rollout goes smoothly for everyone.

#5 ·
First takes:
[1]It's still a 2 hours window and only 5 channels. - Thumbs way down.
[2]Nothing new here. Its just new graphics on top of almost identical functionality. - Thumbs down and a big yawn.
[3]Is it my imagination or has Rogers stolen the look of Windows 8 for the new graphics theme? - Why bother?

So that's two thumbs down, a big yawn and a why bother. That pretty much sums it up from here. Some day, maybe Rogers will actually introduce something useful like configurable opacity for overlays, better skip options, improving stability, fixing the guide bugs or a configurable guide download time. More than a 5 channel by 2 hour window in the guide, configurable of course, would be a big improvement. But wait, that would mean some real programming on the part of Cisco and Rogers might have to invest some real money into Nextbox development. Better forget about that. Let's face it, all we are going to get out of Cisco/Rogers is a bunch of cosmetic crap to fool the masses into thinking there is anything being done about real issues.

#6 ·
It looks like the onscreen bar for the fast forward and rewind is going to be alot narrower. That's a plus. So annoying that it takes up soo much screen space right now. I'm hoping the new guide will work faster on the Nextbox 2.0. The current guide is very slow to respond sometimes.

#11 ·
While I agree.. it would have been nicer to see a longer than 2 hour window at a time..

That could also run into issues of show name display issues.

With limited width, a lot of names will be severely cut off on the grid view.

#13 ·
The other thing I really, *really* want to see are season and episode data for TV series. Every other PVR I've ever seen or used has this but it's totally missing in Rogers guides. This is essential to make sense of TV series and it's totally missing on Rogers. Why am I forced to look episodes up on Zap2It or TV.com and try to match up shows using vague or confusing guide descriptions? It's even worse when descriptions are missing, which happens way to often with Rogers.

#15 ·
I noticed the channel names are in a very small font. I hope it's bigger in the final product next week. It looks like this video was produced back in early March so hopefully they have fixed up a few things since then.

#19 ·
According to one of the video presentations you can now only record 6 programs at the same time, not 8. Anyone else have comments on this matter.
The video only showed 6 programs that WERE recorded. Doesn't mean they have cut the number of shows that CAN be recorded. They don't really mention the number of shows that can be recorded since the new guide will be the same on the 2.0 and 3.0 but the 2.0 only records 2 shows at once.

#17 ·
@wysiwyg
That would be nice. like my post above, about series images.. I wonder though if stuff like that might add too much overhead? (take longer to load the images)
@GaryE
We will have to see. I wonder if its made smaller.. to fit MORE of the description in? (same reason why I don't think there is more than 2 hours.. would make the boxes too small and be cutting off names a lot)
@sammey
Did I miss a video? I didn't hear anything on the 3 videos about 6 channels.
Though if there is.. am guessing its a mistake, etc? Since this will be rolled out to the NB2 as well.. which can only do 2.

#18 ·
gdkitty, I am talking about the channel names under the channel numbers on the left side of the guide. The size of the font is soo small. There is room to make the channel names bigger. Like take out the dash before and after the names and use a bigger font. But as i said this was an early production video so maybe they have changed it already for the release next week.

#21 · (Edited)
Here comes Trouble with a capital "T"

LIPSTICK ON A PIG

At lease that's what it appears to be.

This must be the "new software" i was told about by second level support a few months ago, when they made the audacious claim that it would "fix everything".

Does anyone know for sure if Navigatr is totally new software to replace RTN, or is it just a new skin?
Interesting that the "Modern HD" Theme was removed from Settings/Appearance several weeks ago, leaving only "Classic".
Maybe this is just an update to the UI Version (currently 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392 - what we've had since RTN was released, at least since I first updated to RTN in May 2012), possibly tied in to an update from RTN Software Version 5.1.1.0105 to a new version.

I see again Rogers is again tempting fate by listing this under Navigatr FAQs:
Will these upcoming changes affect my current TV settings or recordings?
No, your recordings and settings will not be affected.

They had the same thing on their web page when they rolled out RTN to replace SARA, and I lost all my recordings during the update (and three more times with subsequent updates to RTN).

#22 ·
Anyone else have comments on this matter.
What I'd like to see is when you have the PVR configured to add 5 minutes to each show and you record consecutive shows on the same channel, the first recording doesn't stop when the 2nd starts. As it is now,if the first show runs overtime, the end of it appears at the beginning of the next recording, with a few seconds lost.

#24 ·
It's usually possible to find programmes on different channels - timeshift, whatever. If you run into such an instance where it's not possible to find a workaround, and those few seconds really bother you, simply extend the first recording to cover both programmes and you won't miss a thing.

I would think though that instances of a programme going long and having consecutive shows (that are not available on another channel or time) would be pretty rare.

#25 · (Edited)
Does anybody remember when using SARA that while browsing TV listings you could also still use the play/pause/stop commands - so that you could watch a recorded or live show and at the same time browse TV listings.

Rogers eliminated that ability with RTN.

Will they give it back to us with Navigatr?

And will they take away as many features with the new guide as they add? And how many new bugs will we discover?

Why am I such a skeptic? Well, let me list 50 reasons .....

Naw - just kidding. I'm not going to go on another 5,000 word rant. I'm too busy emptying out the recordings on my NB3 and watching the important shows I've been archiving so that when I've gone through all the shows and have an empty PVR I can finally call Rogers up and tell them what they can do with their PVR.

I've just spent the last couple days watching seasons 2 and 3 of The Newsroom.

I've got a bunch of science shows to peruse (stuff that I SHOULD watch, for it's educational value, but it's dry programming that isn't as much fun as the daily fluff and entertainment - it's sort of like the TV version of eating your vegetables. You know you should - but its boring as heck), and then it may be bye bye Rogers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.