can no longer change theme on 864HD PVR box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

can no longer change theme on 864HD PVR box

My box was working fine up until last week. Not sure if they did a update but now i cannot get out of the classic theme. I have tried resetting the box and also tried factory default settings.

I can change all the other options in the same menu but it will not even give me a option to change from classic to modern theme. I tried doing it from my phone.. same issue. On my phone i can select modern theme but it never takes it.

any ideas on what else i can do before i bite the bullet and sit on hold with Rogers while they tell me it must be the box and that you need to take it for service again ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 08:41 PM

All 3 of our boxes lost the 'modern theme' ability a couple of weeks ago. It's annoying but we have been too busy to deal with Rogers phone support people, so once and I while I thread surf to see if it is a wide spread issue (yet).

It has not come and gone for us. Just gone. No reset, no clue what is going on. All 3 same day.

Rj
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 09:54 PM

HOW/WHY? no one really knows yet.

But with the latest update.. there is only ONE theme.

Weither this is a bug, or not.. no one really knows yet.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
All STBs with RTN firmware are affected. I seem to recall mention somewhere that Rogers will be standardized and Modern is gone.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-r...ml#post2544426

Here it is, see post 5:

Modern guide missing? - Rogers Community

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-10, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Maybe that should be, "Rogers will be sub-standardized." This is the worst HD guide I have ever seen. Five channels and 2 hours of programming is pitiful and counter-productive for HD. It looks like Bell or Shaw's SD guide from 10 years ago.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-16, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Something else I have just noticed is my unsubscribed channels no longer have a black background in the IPG. I've noticed now they have the same grey patterned background as the subscribed channels. I don't like this and I hope it's just a glitch.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 08:47 AM
Veteran

Mine are a darker grey.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 04:35 PM

I can clearly tell the difference between subscribed and unsubscribed channels on my tv...nothing has changed for me.....perhaps it has something to do with your tv's brightness and contrast settings?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 04:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Agreed, there is a noticeable difference in the typeface and background. Grey type, black background for unsubscribed vs. white type and grey background for subscribed.

If they still look the same, perhaps the firmware is not loaded properly and a reboot will fix it. As mentioned in the post above, if they look the same after a reboot, the brightness (black level) and contrast (white level) settings on the TV are perhaps not set properly. I suspect black crush (too low a brightness setting). Here's the FAQ on TV optimization:

FAQ - What You Need To Do To Your New HDTV

Edit - the "black" in the guide is not a true black, more like a very dark grey. It's not as black as the black in CP24's black box for example. I often use the CP24 black box to check for black levels. I adjust the black level up so that the black box is a bit grey, then bring the black level down until the box is black and doesn't get any blacker with the next click of the black level control.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 05:42 PM
Veteran

It is back to the black background as of today. But for the last several days everything was showing the grey background except for 2 channels... 756 and 940 stayed black.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2015-07-21, 11:57 AM
Veteran

It could possibly have been caused by a bad guide update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.