SA8300HD - External SATA Drive Works, Please Read Post 1 and Post 1 Links - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouflon
If there is any interest, post here, we'll figure out how many are needed, and I'll get on it. Hugh has OK'd this.
I'm in! I'll keep an eye on the thread, but PM me if I'm not responding quickly enough when you need cash or are going to order or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burden
Anyone try moving the hard drive from one system to another ... (ie take the hard drive over to someone else who has the 8300 ?)
That doesn't look like it's going to work. As per a previous post it looks like the information on the drive is encrypted and tied to that machine via the serial number. Also, the information on the recorded program list looks to be stored on the main drive so you'd have no recorded list on someone elses machine.
post #48 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorais
That doesn't look like it's going to work. As per a previous post it looks like the information on the drive is encrypted and tied to that machine via the serial number. Also, the information on the recorded program list looks to be stored on the main drive so you'd have no recorded list on someone elses machine.
You also run the risk of having the drive automatically reformat so that you lose any programming on the drive.

post #49 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 11:07 AM
Veteran

I can get that Sonnet cable from Ingram through work and would be happy to supply to others, but my price would be the same and mouflon did all the leg work on this. Also, I know what it's like running your own business!

Thanks for confirming that it's the correct cable though!
post #50 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 01:08 PM

Will the multi room version of the 8300 support external drives in the same way?

It appears from the pdf from SA that it is based pretty exactly on the 8300, so I would assume it would - but I don't want to go through the whole process of setting this up if it doesn't work on the multi room - because as soon as it's available, I want/need one!

Any thoughts?

Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD, Denon AVR-3808CI, Samsung BD-C5500, TiVo Premier, Energy C-5, CC-1, CR1-1, s10.2, Harmony 890
post #51 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 02:10 PM

For MR the spec requires a 7200rpm SATA II drive.
post #52 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:00 PM

From the 8300HD Connection Guide:

Quote:
Guidelines for Using the External SATA Hard Disk Drive
The external SATA hard disk drive requires continuous power. If the SATA drive loses power while
the 8300HD is plugged in, the 8300HD may stop current recordings or not provide enough space
for future recordings. Follow these guidelines for using the SATA drive:
• Do not plug in the power cord for the SATA drive to a switched outlet or to the AC outlet on the
8300HD.

• Do not turn off, disconnect, or unplug the SATA drive while the 8300HD is plugged in.

Recommendations for the SATA Drive
Contact your cable service provider for a list of approved external SATA hard disk drives. At a
minimum, your SATA drive should have these capabilities:
• External SATA Connector - SATA II: Cable and Connector, Revision 1.0 (www.sata-io.org for more
information)
• Drive Speed: 7200 RPM (5400 RPM without Multi-room); 133 MB/sec
• Capacity: Only one SATA drive can be connected to the 8300HD. The 8300HD will not support
a separate port multiplier.
• SATA Drive Power: The SATA drive should power on when plugged in and should not be
controlled by a switch.

Disconnecting the External SATA Hard Disk Drive
Complete the following steps to disconnect the SATA drive safely.
1. Make sure that the 8300HD is powered off.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the 8300HD and wait for at least 10 seconds.
3. Disconnect the power cord and data cable from the external SATA drive.
If you improperly disconnect your SATA drive, you will receive an error message, and you will be
required to restart the 8300HD upon reconnecting.

How the SATA Drive Works with Your 8300HD
Recordings are balanced between the internal hard drive on the 8300HD and the external SATA
drive as follows:
• A recording is not split between an internal and external hard drive.
• The 8300HD automatically stores complete programs using the following space available logic:
- If the external SATA drive has more space available, the SATA drive stores the next recording.
- If the internal hard drive on the 8300HD has more space available, the internal hard drive
stores the next recording.
So it looks like any 133MBps SATA drive will work in the 8300HD, but a 7200rpm drive will be needed for MRV, and not necessarily an SATA II drive. This indicates to me that the eSATA (or SATA II) is a connector specification only, and not the interface spec.

Unforutnately, there is nothing in the program listing to indicate which drive a particular show is recorded on. This would make it a pain to change drives (for instance to upgrade to a bigger drive), as the only way I can see to do this would be to disconnect the external drive and attempt to play back recorded shows. Any that won't play back are on the external drive. You would then have to reconnect the external drive, delete the recordings on it, then disconnect the external drive again, upgrade the drive, then reconnect and allow the new drive to format.

That all said, I'm going to place an order for a dozen cables tomorrow, and allocate them on a first come, first served basis. So far that is 3 for burdon and 1 for Polaris75. I can easily order more if required. I'll deal with payment when they arrive - either cheques or PayPal should be fine. Please note that I'm not out to make a profit on this deal, I'm just trying to make it easier for the group to get them wihout having to order from the States and have to pay exchange and brokerage fees. The $27 is pretty much my cost plus a bit extra to pay for some padded envelopes and shipping from the distributer to me.

Unexpect the Expected

Last edited by mouflon; 2005-04-24 at 05:02 PM.
post #53 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:18 PM

Quote:
indicates to me that the eSATA (or SATA II)
The way I understand it SATA I spec did not include external connectors. When SATA II spec was finalized they added external connectors (esata). They differ slightly in socket depth as well as being shielded.
post #54 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:23 PM

other order options

I've never ordered from these before but these canadian sites seems to carry the cables. Not sure if they're in stock or not.

http://www.computerconcepts.ca/shop/..._________.html
First one listed I think.
http://www.acertive.ca/vendor_m_dept...11&dist_flag=1

Last edited by mmorais; 2005-04-24 at 05:26 PM.
post #55 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The way I understand it SATA I spec did not include external connectors. When SATA II spec was finalized they added external connectors (esata). They differ slightly in socket depth as well as being shielded.
What I meant was the 8300HD spec for the eSATA connector, not the SATA specs in general.

Unexpect the Expected
post #56 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorais
I've never ordered from these before but these canadian sites seems to carry the cables. Not sure if they're in stock or not.

http://www.computerconcepts.ca/shop/..._________.html
First one listed I think.
http://www.acertive.ca/vendor_m_dept...11&dist_flag=1

Careful - the description sounds right, but the part number is for SATA I to SATA I (which will NOT work).

So... should I order cables in, or is everyone going to go looking on their own? Makes no difference to me, other than I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cables in two weeks that no one wants.

Unexpect the Expected
post #57 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouflon
What I meant was the 8300HD spec for the eSATA connector, not the SATA specs in general.
Oh I see. You are saying it is an eSATA connector but it could be a SATA I bus on the 8300. Yeah that makes sense. Since SA only call for 133MBps, 300MBps is overkill.
post #58 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 05:59 PM

Mouflon:

I have a few questions:

Are you using an external Sata II drive or an external Sata I drive?

Which end of the Sata I to Sata II cable plugs into the 8300?

I am just wondering, because if the 8300 requires a Sata II connection on its end, could we not use a Sata II to Sata II cable connected to a Sata II drive?

Thanks for all your tests and work on this. I will be interested in a cable myself, but I want to make sure I know everything I will need to buy first.

Thanks,
Allan
post #59 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanweinman
Mouflon:

I have a few questions:

Are you using an external Sata II drive or an external Sata I drive?

Which end of the Sata I to Sata II cable plugs into the 8300?

I am just wondering, because if the 8300 requires a Sata II connection on its end, could we not use a Sata II to Sata II cable connected to a Sata II drive?

Thanks for all your tests and work on this. I will be interested in a cable myself, but I want to make sure I know everything I will need to buy first.

Thanks,
Allan
As I stated in post #36:
Quote:
SATA II to SATA I cable.
(SATA I to SATA I standard cable that comes with the external enclosure does NOT work - I tried.)
Standard SATA I external drive enclosure.
WD SATA I 160GB hard drive.
You could use an SATA II to SATA II cable with an external SATA II enclosure and drive, but that would be overkill.

Unexpect the Expected
post #60 of 3064 (permalink) Old 2005-04-24, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Oh I see. You are saying it is an eSATA connector but it could be a SATA I bus on the 8300. Yeah that makes sense. Since SA only call for 133MBps, 300MBps is overkill.
Exactly...

Unexpect the Expected

Tags
1tb , 8300 , 8300hd , extender , external hard drive , external hd , iomega , pvr playback freezes , sa8300hd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.