Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisco 9865 (NB3.0, also NB2/8642) Summary List - The Good, The Bad and The Huh?

44K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  57 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I’d post a summary of the “good”, the “bad” and the “huh?”, regarding the Cisco 9865 (NextBox 3.0)

The Good:

It has 8 tuners, allowing for up to 8 simultaneous recordings.

It’s fast & responsive. The IPG is faster than any other box and it’s way faster for other functions than the 8642. It’s faster than PVRs running SARA.

It has a 1 TB iHDD. This is twice as much as the latest 8642 and is probably enough for most people, providing over 100 hours of HD recording time.

It has a 3-minute skip (Page+) button. It would probably have been nicer to have 1 minute, but it’s better than nothing.

The “D” button can be used for instant weather.

The recordings can be sorted by date, title, channel or series.

The Bad:

For many people, the unit occasionally switches to 2-channel PCM audio (other) after watching a recording or switching to a recording. This is discussed in the following thread in detail. Depending on your situation, it seems to happen every 6-10 recordings, sometimes more, sometimes less. This mostly affects people who have AVRs and wish proper DD5.1 surround sound. However, it can also affect those people who are connected to a TV in that a 16kHz tone can be heard through the TV's speakers (by young people) and sometimes there is no audio at all through the TV. The only way to get a DD5.1 signal back after the switch is via a reboot. Some people have been rebooting their 9865s every evening before bed. Some people have also reported a 16 kHz tone emanating from their equipment occasionally. Those with good hearing and younger people can hear this. This seems to be resolved per posts 19/20 (2014.08).

NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Switching to PCM Issue - Resolved. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Almost everyone mentions that the unit has audio dropouts when playing recordings. Some people have been able to minimize the dropouts by not using 1080P, rebooting the PVR (say before bed). Switching to “other” in the audio options may also help, but that’s not useful for those with AVRs. Some channels seem to be more susceptible than others. This issue seems to be resolved, although the occasional dropout may still occur.

Some early mornings (Tuesday, Friday), between 1AM-2PM the 9865 can become unresponsive to commands, but you can continue watching your recording. You can either reboot (unplug) or wait until after 2AM at which time the 9865 seems to respond normally again.

New 8 tuner PVR... NextBox 3.0 Discussions (Cisco 9865) - Read Post 1 - Page 90 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

You cannot adjust the time of recording by 1 minute. You must use their default options of 5 minutes or more

When you’re watching a recording that’s still recording, you cannot stop and delete it. You must stop/save, then find the recording, then delete. Silly extra steps! This was fixed in the firmware mentioned in post 22 of this thread.

There is no frame-by-frame advance option.

The Slo-Mo option is not very slow, especially in light of no frame-by-frame option.

The progress bar that comes up when you hit “play” or other functions, takes up 1/3 of the screen and stays on far too long. You can get rid of it by hitting “exit”, but that’s a pain. At least the exit button now gets rid of the progress bar when FF/REW.

If you set the output to 1080P, many people have reported video and audio issues – use 1080i or 720P. This seems to be resolved per posts 19/20 (2014.08), but I see no reason to use 1080P.

Many people have reported HDMI-CEC (Link) issues. Best to turn this feature off in your AVR/TV. This seems to be resolved per posts 19/20 (2014.08).

The recorded list doesn’t remember where you were when you picked your previous recording to watch. It always goes back to the latest recording if you’ve sorted by date (if you exit the list).

The Huh?

The first zoom function is not the correct amount of zoom for 1.78:1 letterboxed SD, nor is the second zoom correct for removing black bars from 2.35:1 letterboxed SD. The function is mostly useless, so you need to use your TV’s zoom if you wish to zoom.

Rogers have stopped supplying their own eHDDs for their PVRs. Although some people have had luck adding an eHDD after appropriate computer formatting, many people have had difficulty. Not a huge issue since 1 TB is probably enough recording space for most people.

The FF/REW speeds are different from the 8300, so if you’ve got both at home, you need to remember the differences. Also, it takes 4 button presses to get to 15X FF speed, a pain.

If you're recording two programmes, when you turn on the 9865 it will go to one of these recordings instead of your preferred channel, even though it has 8 tuners. Resolved - see post 14 (2014.06)

When you first install your new 9865, it can take a day or two for some features to become “active” (like searches or using Anyplace Home Edition).

When you first install your new 9865, it will come up with a black screen when you turn it on until you perform a reboot. After that it will come on with your favourite channel, or whatever option you’ve chosen.

The default output format is 720P. Since most HD channels are 1080i, most people recommend using the 1080i setting, but feel free to experiment.

On the 8300, you used to be able to go to channel 950 to resume watching your last recording. With the 9865 you have to find that recording in your list if you’ve watched live TV.

If you set up a series recording in the 500 series of channels, you may find that after one recording, it’s no longer listed under the 500 series, rather in the channel range 2-99. For example, a series recording on channel 514 becomes a series recording on channel 6. This may have something to do with Auto-HD. This can be disconcerting when viewing the IPG, but once you know about it, you can look for the lower channel or go to the list of series recordings. Setting up recordings using the lower numbers may also help prevent recording issues.

On the 8300, you could set up a reminder once for a programme so that it would remind you every day, etc if desired. With the 9865, you have to set a reminder for each event you wish to be reminded. (for example - nightly news)

If you pause a programme on the 9865, it will only pause for about 30 minutes.

A reboot takes about 5-6 minutes, but those people with WHPVR (Whole Home PVR setups) may find that it takes longer - say 20-30 minutes before the WHPVR system becomes properly active again. Try to reboot when there is no recording taking place, or scheduled for the time it takes to reboot.

FF Speed: The FF speeds are different from the 8300HD with 2X, 4X, 8X, 15X and 60X (on the 9865). This means I have to press the FF button four times to get to 15X speed, which is the one I prefer. On the 8300 you had 4X, 10X, 30X, 120X. I used the 10X to FF through commercials - only two presses, but I do prefer the 15X speed.

There are some other features that the 8300 had that the 9865 doesn’t, but mostly the 9865 is superior to previous Rogers PVRs.
----------------------------------------------------------------
For discussion, please use the 9865 discussion sticky thread.

Edit - please see post 11 for changes with firmware 1.0109

Please see post 14 for changes with firmware 2.0105

Please see post 20 for changes with firmware 5.0.0.0123

Please see post 22 for changes with firmware 5.1.1.0104.

Firmware 5.1.1.0105 was rolled out without any significant feature changes it appears, although some issues may have been resolved.

The Navigatr firmware is discussed in detail in posts 33, 34.

See less See more
#2 ·
My understanding.. at least the explanation I got (if it is true or not, is another story), for the channel 950 thing..
Is that with this IPG.. it doesn't use an actual CHANNEL for playback, like the SARA did.. it does it more like an overlay like a PC does with a video in WMP, etc.

#3 ·
BAD: Unlike most PVRs, there is no 30 second skip forward on the skip button to accompany the 10 second backward skip on the skip back button. In fact, there is no skip forward button at all, for use with devices like a DVD player.

BAD: The record all programs function is unreliable, especially for recording series marathons. Recording a marathon required setting 10, 12 or more timers instead of a single, record all on a single day timer.

BAD: Satellite Whole Home receivers for use with the 9865 are slow and long recordings often fail during viewing. Some programs cannot be viewed at all due to 9865 instability.

BAD: Even though the 9865 has 8 tuners, it often acts like it only has 2 tuners when recording more than 2 shows. That results in shows being cut off at the start or end.

BAD: The hard coded reboot times result in a non-responsive receiver while watching TV and lost, incomplete or incorrectly recording shows.

BAD: Some features like program search often don't work (even after the first two days) and are often overloaded by results for things like Rogers PPV and VOD.

BAD: Managing recordings and timers is made very time consuming by lack of features such as multiple selection for deleting shows or sort options for recurring timers.

BAD: The guide is unmanageable, especially for new subscribers, due to multiple entries for identical channels and unsubscribed channels.

#5 ·
I was hoping that we could use this thread as a repository for items that affect a lot of people or everybody, not as a thread for items that only affect one or two people. For that, we can use the 9865 discussion thread, until it's clear that it affects a lot of people. Rants should go in the rant thread. WHPVR issues should be in the WHPVR thread.

Also, when new firmware (eventually) fixes the issues, we can note that in this thread.

#8 ·
Would that be the 2 out of 5 star rated app that won't let me sign in due to a server error or the web version that's almost impossible to find and fails with a communication error when performing operations using multiple select? Maybe we need a Rogers Anyplace TV thread.

#11 ·
Here's a list of things that are different with the latest firmware 4.0.1.0109 (yes 0109): Version is found by going to the troubleshooting section of your menu. Settings - ^ - Troubleshooting, Select - > System Info (or "About")

The guide now has options for "subscribed channels" and 3 other options as desired.

There are "blanks" when keying in a channel number showing that you need to enter 3 digits.

The old screensaver had the time that moved around the screen. There is no more time shown. If you're on a Radio station (900 channels), the channel is displayed for a few minutes, then goes to screensaver. Getting out of the screen saver still takes a button press, so if you enter channel 7-2-6, you'll get channel 26, but that's the same as before. I always enter the first number twice if I remember to do so.

The menu is slightly different, in that some confirmation screens and the "calendar" that come up when hitting the "B" button, when in the guide, are now black/red instead of black/grey/red. This means it's easy to spot if you have the new firmware.

There appears to be some additional information on some of the confirmation screens - for example when setting a series recording it tells you it may not appear until the next day, etc.

If the TV is on during a reboot, the red progress bar near the end of the reboot is gone. Instead you will see a "% Complete Timer" on the bottom right of the screen.

When you're watching a programme, if you press the info button you now have an additional "audio selection" option on most channels (for described video or SAP). This bothers me a bit because CC used to be the farthest to the right, so to invoke CC I used to go "info - < - select", whereas now I have to press < twice if the audio selection is present - a pain since it's no longer "reflexive". I could go >>>>>>> but that's more of a pain.

The Switching to PCM issue has not been resolved with the latest firmware. Reboot still required after it happens.

It appears that all of the other "Bad/Huh" items listed in post 1 have not been addressed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any other changes to report, please do so below, but please keep them as a list and use the 9865 (or PCM) thread to discuss any issues/comments. Thanks

#14 ·
I received the new firmware today - displayed as 4.0.2.0105 under the settings, troubleshooting, system information section (or about). Firmware is rolled out to various areas at various times, but should be completely rolled out in a few weeks.

People have reported fewer audio dropouts.

One other option has been added - you can go into Settings - PVR Settings - Related Content and Show or Don't Show "related content". I have disabled the setting since it means less work for the unit and I don't find this additional complication useful, but others might find this information useful...

The issue with the 9865 going to one of the recordings (if you're doing two or more) instead of the startup (Power on) channel has been resolved. I tried it with 2 and 3 on-going recordings.

Many of the other "bad/huh" items listed in post 1 have not been addressed.

The firmware also reset my startup (Power-on) channel to channel 1 and I have reset that, but this is uncalled for. My startup channel is CP24, but for people with a startup channel in the 500's it's a pain since you need to scan up to that channel instead of entering it directly. Edit - as noted below, you can enter the channel number directly, however, you may require a reboot first.

The switching to PCM issue has not been resolved.

Since this is a summary thread, please continue to discuss the 9865 in the 9865 thread and the switching to PCM issue in the switching to PCM thread. Thanks.

#18 ·
It may have always been there, but required a reboot after the initial install or new firmware. I know that I've optimized several units, including my own and you could not type in the channel number right away, which is when people usually want to do this.

#19 ·
New Firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.0.0.0123. I will summarize, in point form below, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've temporarily closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

Firmware version is found by going to the troubleshooting section of your menu. Settings - ^ - Troubleshooting, Select - > System Info (or "About")

#20 ·
- The latest firmware has affected the calculation of the % space used, cutting it (roughly) in half. Apparently the 9865 is now compressing the incoming signal (to MPEG4?), therefore almost doubling the amount that can be stored on the HDD. Older recordings are also compressed. This compression can be monitored under the "media shrink" section of the diagnostics.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 SA FAQ.

- It now seems to take a short while for the video to "restart" after FF, REW, Skip-back or 3-min SKIP (back or forward). It takes anywhere from almost no time, to a bit over a second. During this "re-synching", the audio will play, but the video will be frozen.

- The switching to PCM issue has been fixed.

- Some people have plugged an ethernet cable into their 9865s. There is no reason to do this and it has caused an issue with the latest firmware (5.0.0.0123). People have seen "Er99" and constant reboots. Unplug the ethernet cable from your 9865. It serves no purpose at this time.

- People had reported issues if they had HDMI-CEC enabled on their other equipment. This issue appears to have been resolved.

-People had reported issues if they utilized the 1080P setting. This issue appears to have been resolved, although there's usually no advantage using 1080P instead of say 1080i.

- You can now delete a single instance of a series recording in the "view by date" list of scheduled recordings. That way you can delete duplicate recordings if desired before they get recorded. We're not sure if this is recent, but it's nice to have nonetheless.

#21 ·
New firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.1.1.0104. I will summarize, in point form, in the next post, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've temporarily closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

Firmware version is found by going to the troubleshooting section of your menu. Settings - ^ - Troubleshooting, Select - > System Info (or "About")

New firmware usually takes several weeks to roll out to different areas of Ontario. There is no way to predict when you will get it and it could take a month.

#22 ·
Notes:

Do not try any of the new features of the new firmware until at least 24 hours after you get the new firmware. It seems to take a day or so for the firmware to "settle", much like previous versions, or when you first got the PVR. This is necessary as the PVR gets proper authorization again from the head end.

It's also probably a good idea to do a reboot once you have the new firmware, perhaps as you plan to shut down for the night.

You may not be able to access the PVR via Anyplace (web or app) for the first day or so. It should come back normally after that time.

New Features:

We now have the ability to delete more than one programme at a time using the "A" button. (do not attempt on the first day)

"Stop Recording and Delete" option appears to be available.

#23 ·
New firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.1.1.0105. I will summarize, in point form, in the next post, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

New firmware usually takes several weeks to roll out to different areas of Ontario. There is no way to predict when you will get it and it could take a month.

Edit: There don't appear to be any noticeable differences introduced with this firmware version.

#24 ·
Navigatr was rolled out on July 28th to some areas, however, that version contained a huge number of issues as documented in the Navigtr thread here and over on Rogers’ Forum. The latest version of Navigatr (6.0.0.132) (Espial 6.0.8-1.1.90) has addressed some of the major issues, but some issues remain. I believe the issues on the 8642 are similar.

I’ve compiled the following list of known, current Navigatr issues. I’ll keep this thread open for a while and let people add more. Then I’ll add their points to the following summary.

1. Information regarding recorded programmes requires you to click on a tile for series recordings - a pain.
2. Information regarding single recordings, such as channel recorded, length of programme, requires you to start watching the programme – a real pain.
3. Scheduled recordings currently appear at the bottom of your list of “Recordings”, rather than in a separate list like before. Workable, but a bit strange and annoying for anyone with many "recordings", especially when you cannot use the "up" arrow to go to the bottom of the list. If you sort by date, Series scheduled recordings are inside tiles at the top of the list if one of the episodes has already recorded.
4. CC could not be enabled from a recording. You had to switch to live TV, invoke CC and find your recording again, taking a huge number of clicks depending on the location of your recording. See tip 11 in the next post to see how you can now invoke CC, although it would be difficult to design a more convoluted and unintuitive method.
5. PoP – the pictures are significantly smaller than they used to be. The “move” button allows you to go to PiP with various positions for the PiP and eventually back to PoP, however, it would be nice if the PoPs were bigger.
6. Using the FAV button may mess with your settings for favourite channels and all channels. I suggest repeated presses of the “Guide” button, like on RTN to cycle between All and Favourites
7. Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise.
8. Pressing “info” brings up something different when watching a recording than when watching live TV. The experience should be identical, or at least similar. Pressing "info" also stops the playback of your recording and if you press an incorrect button, may bring you back to the beginning of your recording instead of resuming.
9. Some people have reported that nothing happens when they press the "Settings" button. See tip 3 below.
10. If you set reminders, when the reminder comes up one minute before the programme starts you can select "Watch Now" or "Dismiss". With RTN when the programme started, the PVR switched to that Programme automatically if you hadn't pressed "Watch Now". With Navigatr it doesn't switch - I consider this a failing.
11. When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.
12. With some menus (see tips in the post below), you can use the up arrow to wrap around to the bottom of the list (when invoking CC for example), or the left arrow to quickly go to the far right (when using the letter search for example). However, with the list/tiles you cannot. This "wraparound" is inconsistent, annoying and should be corrected for the list, and anything else that doesn't perform that way.
13. Some people cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles, or the bottom of the Guide. This is due to Rogers not placing these in the "safe zone" for broadcast. See the tip on overscan in the tips post below.
14. The "manual recording" option is no longer available. (not to be confused with single recording).
15. The 9865 can sometimes become sluggish, taking significantly more time than usual to respond to remote control button presses. A reboot usually fixes the issue.

Some people have reported problems with the download to their STB not completing - error messages, stuck on countdown, etc. This is almost always a signal issue at your home or in your neighbourhood. Move the STB to a different location in your home as close as possible to the demarcation point – or call Rogers and have them check your signal. The 8642 and 9865s require a good signal to boot. Do not connect the RF-coax cable through any devices like power bars, line conditions, UPS, etc.

Please, list the issue in a concise manner . There are other threads where you may discuss the issues in more detail or discuss Rogers in general. Thanks.

Gdkitty has developed the following list of issues with Navigatr on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:

NAVIGATR: List of issues from Community - Rogers Community

#27 ·
7. Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise.
There are several places where the fonts are still too small, because Rogers didn't do a complete job or test when they increased the font sizes. Some examples are the messages that appear when deleting and scheduling programs. Huge white space with tiny letters like "Are you sure you want to stop recording <program name>" or "Are you sure you want to delete this episode of <program name>", or "This program is now recording".

#25 ·
Tips: Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily.

1. When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings. Series scheduled recordings will be "inside" tiles near the top of the list if one of the series has already been recorded - you'll need to scroll up to the "scheduled" tab. Even if you record the same programme, you'll see different tiles for that programme if you did one with a series recording, one with a single recording (one tile for each single recording) or if you scheduled the same programme for different channels.
2. When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “Info-More”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3. Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though. I believe this issue only affects the 8642s (NB2) - perhaps you can trade yours for a 9865 (NB3) - advise Rogers of this and other issues with the 8642 and you may get the exchange for free. Should now be fixed with firmware 6.0.1.0110 - see post 29 below.
4. Don't press the FAV button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace Web interface (or the RAPTV App, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list, or the bottom of the Guide. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles/Guide in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.
9. Courtesy of @RichardB, if you use a Harmony or similar programmable remote, you should tell the remote that you have a 9865 (NB3), otherwise you may run into a "Settings/Menu" issue whereby the incorrect menu comes up on say your 8642 (NB2).
10. If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW. You may need to enter a 1-2 second "pause" into the macro if the PVR is slow to respond.
11. In one of the Rogers forum CC threads, there are new instructions on how to turn on/off CC, whether you're in a recording or watching live:

Press "Guide" - "Info" - up arrow twice - you are presented with the option to turn CC on or off. Looks like you can also do language options in that menu if applicable.

12. Gdkitty has developed the following "How To" guide over on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:

Navigatr Guide - How To - Rogers Community

13. Since "single recording" tiles show almost no information regarding the recording, you may wish to set up a "series recording" instead. This tile will show the channel name, date and time when you click the tile. When inside the tile, go to the right side to "delete all scheduled recordings after you've finished watching and deleted the programme you just watched.

14. If you wish to view a series programme that's still recording, click the tile and move to the scheduled tab, rather than the recorded tab. The programme doesn't move to the recorded tab until it's finished recording.

Hope this helps some people. More tips? Please post them below.

#26 ·
Comments on 57's points:

1) ALL info on a program SHOULD pop up in a box on top of the tiles screen when you highlight a program. This would solve the problem of very little or NO info being displayed for a program.

3) Sched recordings should quickly pop up when you hit the green List button twice - the way it did before. This is obvious. The HUGE problem with the way things are now is that I've got 473 recordings on my PVR. Do you REALLY think I can page down to the bottom of my list to see Sched recordings?

And there is an inefficiency in the way you select viewing Sched recordings - after you hit the red C to filter to show Sched Recordings, you should NOT have to go back up and click on Save filter settings. This is several extra keystrokes. When you've changed the Show All Recordings to Show Sched Recordings - you should be able to simply hit Select to see programs.

6) Agreed that the Guide button is all messed up. Default right now is to show Favorites - but there is ALREADY a Favorite button on the remote. Why have two buttons doing the same thing?

But I'm not sure the Guide button should cycle through a choice of options including Favorites. The default choice should be Subscribed Channels. IF the button cycles through choices, then the second should be Favorites, and third should be All Channels. And how many people want a separate menu choice for PPV or Music? I think far less than 1% of users. We shouldn't have to wade through a menu of choices by hitting the red C button. Hit Guide once to see Subscribed, twice for Faves, 3 for All.

8) There is massive inconsistencies in the way the interface operates from screen to screen. Sometimes when I hit stop while watching a program the control options are on the right of the screen - and sometimes they are in the middle of the screen.

The way you cursor through lists should be consistent. In some cases there is wrap-around. In others there isn't. Especially with a large list of programs - you should be able to go back to the top when you are at the bottom by hitting down - or more importantly - if you are at the top of the list of programs recorded - simply hitting up would take you to the bottom of the list where Sched recordings are shown. (But I wouldn't know. I've never seen the bottom of my list of 473 recordings. :) )

And when you get to the end of a row of listed programs - hitting the right arrow should take you to the NEXT line.

And who the heck thought the new search keypad with 2 lines of letters was 'better'? It's slower than the old 'portrait' choice of letters. And the search results are now severely limited - just providing ONE choice of when a program plays. This is SIGNIFICANTLY less helpful than the old results which showed ALL times the program would play in the next week. I used this feature OFTEN. It especially allowed me to record some programs in Standard Definition to save disk space. The new search results are severely hobbled. And you STILL can't select your search result to record as a series.

And the inconsistency of SOME menus stopping a program playing - but not others - is irritating. If you're watching a recording - and hit List - the program stops playing - but MANY other menus you enter still have the recording playing behind the menu - AND - more annoying (but a minor bug) - is when you then exit one menu to go to a submenu (or something like that) - the program starts playing again for a split-second - but then stops again when you hit the other menu.

9) I'm one of those who can't see my Settings Menu. I've heard that you MAY need to do a Factory Reset to solve this problem - and people who have reported this problem to Rogers have FALSLY been sent emails saying the problem has been resolved. It hasn't.

But - 57 - I still can't get into my Settings after I hit Menu. The option of selecting Settings is a sub-menu after hitting Menu - but nothing shows up on my Settings screen after trying to approach it from this method.

With the Navigatr download last week - my box got 'stuck' in download for an hour after rebooting several times. Pulling the plug got it to finally reach the working screen. (But maybe that's why I can't see Settings.)

#28 ·
Another bug.
In Settings/System/Front Panel Display
Select "Channel When Tuning".
Now you have the clock on the front panel.
Change a channel, and the channel number displays for what appears to be less than a tenth of a second. Totally useless.
With RTN 5.1 it stayed visible for maybe 2 or 3 seconds at least.

#29 ·
The latest version of Navigatr is 6.0.1.0110 and has been downloaded to many people. It reportedly:

- allows you to see "Settings" on the 8642 (NB2)
- makes the 8642 slightly less sluggish.
- solves the "memory leak" in the 9865 (NB3) so that it no longer becomes sluggish requiring a reboot.
- solves various other issues with recordings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.