Cisco 9865 (NB3.0, also NB2/8642) Summary List - The Good, The Bad and The Huh? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-06-17, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
It is possible to set the power on channel directly.
You are correct - there's even a "hint - type channel number" at the top of the screen, however, I don't believe this was available until after you do a reboot after the update (which I have now done). I've added an edit to my previous post.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 05:13 PM

The "Hint - type channel numbers" is there on my 9865 at 4.0.1.0109.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It may have always been there, but required a reboot after the initial install or new firmware. I know that I've optimized several units, including my own and you could not type in the channel number right away, which is when people usually want to do this.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

New Firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.0.0.0123. I will summarize, in point form below, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've temporarily closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

Firmware version is found by going to the troubleshooting section of your menu. Settings - ^ - Troubleshooting, Select - > System Info (or "About")

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

- The latest firmware has affected the calculation of the % space used, cutting it (roughly) in half. Apparently the 9865 is now compressing the incoming signal (to MPEG4?), therefore almost doubling the amount that can be stored on the HDD. Older recordings are also compressed. This compression can be monitored under the "media shrink" section of the diagnostics.

57 FAQ - Tips For SA (Cisco) STBs. (also Pace) SA FAQ.

- It now seems to take a short while for the video to "restart" after FF, REW, Skip-back or 3-min SKIP (back or forward). It takes anywhere from almost no time, to a bit over a second. During this "re-synching", the audio will play, but the video will be frozen.

- The switching to PCM issue has been fixed.

- Some people have plugged an ethernet cable into their 9865s. There is no reason to do this and it has caused an issue with the latest firmware (5.0.0.0123). People have seen "Er99" and constant reboots. Unplug the ethernet cable from your 9865. It serves no purpose at this time.

- People had reported issues if they had HDMI-CEC enabled on their other equipment. This issue appears to have been resolved.

-People had reported issues if they utilized the 1080P setting. This issue appears to have been resolved, although there's usually no advantage using 1080P instead of say 1080i.

- You can now delete a single instance of a series recording in the "view by date" list of scheduled recordings. That way you can delete duplicate recordings if desired before they get recorded. We're not sure if this is recent, but it's nice to have nonetheless.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

New firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.1.1.0104. I will summarize, in point form, in the next post, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've temporarily closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

Firmware version is found by going to the troubleshooting section of your menu. Settings - ^ - Troubleshooting, Select - > System Info (or "About")

New firmware usually takes several weeks to roll out to different areas of Ontario. There is no way to predict when you will get it and it could take a month.

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Notes:

Do not try any of the new features of the new firmware until at least 24 hours after you get the new firmware. It seems to take a day or so for the firmware to "settle", much like previous versions, or when you first got the PVR. This is necessary as the PVR gets proper authorization again from the head end.

It's also probably a good idea to do a reboot once you have the new firmware, perhaps as you plan to shut down for the night.

You may not be able to access the PVR via Anyplace (web or app) for the first day or so. It should come back normally after that time.

New Features:

We now have the ability to delete more than one programme at a time using the "A" button. (do not attempt on the first day)

"Stop Recording and Delete" option appears to be available.

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 2015-03-25, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

New firmware is available for the 9865. It is 5.1.1.0105. I will summarize, in point form, in the next post, the differences between this latest firmware and the previous version and any items that have been fixed or deleted... Discussions should be kept to the main 9865 thread. I've closed this thread to preclude discussions here.

New firmware usually takes several weeks to roll out to different areas of Ontario. There is no way to predict when you will get it and it could take a month.

Edit: There don't appear to be any noticeable differences introduced with this firmware version.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-02-02, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Navigatr was rolled out on July 28th to some areas, however, that version contained a huge number of issues as documented in the Navigtr thread here and over on Rogers’ Forum. The latest version of Navigatr (6.0.0.132) (Espial 6.0.8-1.1.90) has addressed some of the major issues, but some issues remain. I believe the issues on the 8642 are similar.

I’ve compiled the following list of known, current Navigatr issues. I’ll keep this thread open for a while and let people add more. Then I’ll add their points to the following summary.

1. Information regarding recorded programmes requires you to click on a tile for series recordings - a pain.
2. Information regarding single recordings, such as channel recorded, length of programme, requires you to start watching the programme – a real pain.
3. Scheduled recordings currently appear at the bottom of your list of “Recordings”, rather than in a separate list like before. Workable, but a bit strange and annoying for anyone with many "recordings", especially when you cannot use the "up" arrow to go to the bottom of the list. If you sort by date, Series scheduled recordings are inside tiles at the top of the list if one of the episodes has already recorded.
4. CC could not be enabled from a recording. You had to switch to live TV, invoke CC and find your recording again, taking a huge number of clicks depending on the location of your recording. See tip 11 in the next post to see how you can now invoke CC, although it would be difficult to design a more convoluted and unintuitive method.
5. PoP – the pictures are significantly smaller than they used to be. The “move” button allows you to go to PiP with various positions for the PiP and eventually back to PoP, however, it would be nice if the PoPs were bigger.
6. Using the FAV button may mess with your settings for favourite channels and all channels. I suggest repeated presses of the “Guide” button, like on RTN to cycle between All and Favourites
7. Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise.
8. Pressing “info” brings up something different when watching a recording than when watching live TV. The experience should be identical, or at least similar. Pressing "info" also stops the playback of your recording and if you press an incorrect button, may bring you back to the beginning of your recording instead of resuming.
9. Some people have reported that nothing happens when they press the "Settings" button. See tip 3 below.
10. If you set reminders, when the reminder comes up one minute before the programme starts you can select "Watch Now" or "Dismiss". With RTN when the programme started, the PVR switched to that Programme automatically if you hadn't pressed "Watch Now". With Navigatr it doesn't switch - I consider this a failing.
11. When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.
12. With some menus (see tips in the post below), you can use the up arrow to wrap around to the bottom of the list (when invoking CC for example), or the left arrow to quickly go to the far right (when using the letter search for example). However, with the list/tiles you cannot. This "wraparound" is inconsistent, annoying and should be corrected for the list, and anything else that doesn't perform that way.
13. Some people cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles, or the bottom of the Guide. This is due to Rogers not placing these in the "safe zone" for broadcast. See the tip on overscan in the tips post below.
14. The "manual recording" option is no longer available. (not to be confused with single recording).
15. The 9865 can sometimes become sluggish, taking significantly more time than usual to respond to remote control button presses. A reboot usually fixes the issue.

Some people have reported problems with the download to their STB not completing - error messages, stuck on countdown, etc. This is almost always a signal issue at your home or in your neighbourhood. Move the STB to a different location in your home as close as possible to the demarcation point – or call Rogers and have them check your signal. The 8642 and 9865s require a good signal to boot. Do not connect the RF-coax cable through any devices like power bars, line conditions, UPS, etc.

Please, list the issue in a concise manner . There are other threads where you may discuss the issues in more detail or discuss Rogers in general. Thanks.

Gdkitty has developed the following list of issues with Navigatr on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:

NAVIGATR: List of issues from Community - Rogers Community

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-02-02, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Tips: Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily.

1. When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings. Series scheduled recordings will be "inside" tiles near the top of the list if one of the series has already been recorded - you'll need to scroll up to the "scheduled" tab. Even if you record the same programme, you'll see different tiles for that programme if you did one with a series recording, one with a single recording (one tile for each single recording) or if you scheduled the same programme for different channels.
2. When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “Info-More”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3. Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though. I believe this issue only affects the 8642s (NB2) - perhaps you can trade yours for a 9865 (NB3) - advise Rogers of this and other issues with the 8642 and you may get the exchange for free. Should now be fixed with firmware 6.0.1.0110 - see post 29 below.
4. Don't press the FAV button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace Web interface (or the RAPTV App, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list, or the bottom of the Guide. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles/Guide in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.
9. Courtesy of @RichardB , if you use a Harmony or similar programmable remote, you should tell the remote that you have a 9865 (NB3), otherwise you may run into a "Settings/Menu" issue whereby the incorrect menu comes up on say your 8642 (NB2).
10. If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW. You may need to enter a 1-2 second "pause" into the macro if the PVR is slow to respond.
11. In one of the Rogers forum CC threads, there are new instructions on how to turn on/off CC, whether you're in a recording or watching live:

Press "Guide" - "Info" - up arrow twice - you are presented with the option to turn CC on or off. Looks like you can also do language options in that menu if applicable.

12. Gdkitty has developed the following "How To" guide over on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:

Navigatr Guide - How To - Rogers Community

13. Since "single recording" tiles show almost no information regarding the recording, you may wish to set up a "series recording" instead. This tile will show the channel name, date and time when you click the tile. When inside the tile, go to the right side to "delete all scheduled recordings after you've finished watching and deleted the programme you just watched.

14. If you wish to view a series programme that's still recording, click the tile and move to the scheduled tab, rather than the recorded tab. The programme doesn't move to the recorded tab until it's finished recording.

Hope this helps some people. More tips? Please post them below.
don820 and Molly222 like this.

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-02-02, 08:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, NB 3.0, 70" Sharp LED, Toshiba 72" DLP RPTV connected to computer
Comments on 57's points:

1) ALL info on a program SHOULD pop up in a box on top of the tiles screen when you highlight a program. This would solve the problem of very little or NO info being displayed for a program.

3) Sched recordings should quickly pop up when you hit the green List button twice - the way it did before. This is obvious. The HUGE problem with the way things are now is that I've got 473 recordings on my PVR. Do you REALLY think I can page down to the bottom of my list to see Sched recordings?

And there is an inefficiency in the way you select viewing Sched recordings - after you hit the red C to filter to show Sched Recordings, you should NOT have to go back up and click on Save filter settings. This is several extra keystrokes. When you've changed the Show All Recordings to Show Sched Recordings - you should be able to simply hit Select to see programs.

6) Agreed that the Guide button is all messed up. Default right now is to show Favorites - but there is ALREADY a Favorite button on the remote. Why have two buttons doing the same thing?

But I'm not sure the Guide button should cycle through a choice of options including Favorites. The default choice should be Subscribed Channels. IF the button cycles through choices, then the second should be Favorites, and third should be All Channels. And how many people want a separate menu choice for PPV or Music? I think far less than 1% of users. We shouldn't have to wade through a menu of choices by hitting the red C button. Hit Guide once to see Subscribed, twice for Faves, 3 for All.

8) There is massive inconsistencies in the way the interface operates from screen to screen. Sometimes when I hit stop while watching a program the control options are on the right of the screen - and sometimes they are in the middle of the screen.

The way you cursor through lists should be consistent. In some cases there is wrap-around. In others there isn't. Especially with a large list of programs - you should be able to go back to the top when you are at the bottom by hitting down - or more importantly - if you are at the top of the list of programs recorded - simply hitting up would take you to the bottom of the list where Sched recordings are shown. (But I wouldn't know. I've never seen the bottom of my list of 473 recordings. )

And when you get to the end of a row of listed programs - hitting the right arrow should take you to the NEXT line.

And who the heck thought the new search keypad with 2 lines of letters was 'better'? It's slower than the old 'portrait' choice of letters. And the search results are now severely limited - just providing ONE choice of when a program plays. This is SIGNIFICANTLY less helpful than the old results which showed ALL times the program would play in the next week. I used this feature OFTEN. It especially allowed me to record some programs in Standard Definition to save disk space. The new search results are severely hobbled. And you STILL can't select your search result to record as a series.

And the inconsistency of SOME menus stopping a program playing - but not others - is irritating. If you're watching a recording - and hit List - the program stops playing - but MANY other menus you enter still have the recording playing behind the menu - AND - more annoying (but a minor bug) - is when you then exit one menu to go to a submenu (or something like that) - the program starts playing again for a split-second - but then stops again when you hit the other menu.

9) I'm one of those who can't see my Settings Menu. I've heard that you MAY need to do a Factory Reset to solve this problem - and people who have reported this problem to Rogers have FALSLY been sent emails saying the problem has been resolved. It hasn't.

But - 57 - I still can't get into my Settings after I hit Menu. The option of selecting Settings is a sub-menu after hitting Menu - but nothing shows up on my Settings screen after trying to approach it from this method.

With the Navigatr download last week - my box got 'stuck' in download for an hour after rebooting several times. Pulling the plug got it to finally reach the working screen. (But maybe that's why I can't see Settings.)
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
7. Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise.
There are several places where the fonts are still too small, because Rogers didn't do a complete job or test when they increased the font sizes. Some examples are the messages that appear when deleting and scheduling programs. Huge white space with tiny letters like "Are you sure you want to stop recording <program name>" or "Are you sure you want to delete this episode of <program name>", or "This program is now recording".
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 10:42 PM

Another bug.
In Settings/System/Front Panel Display
Select "Channel When Tuning".
Now you have the clock on the front panel.
Change a channel, and the channel number displays for what appears to be less than a tenth of a second. Totally useless.
With RTN 5.1 it stayed visible for maybe 2 or 3 seconds at least.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-04-09, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The latest version of Navigatr is 6.0.1.0110 and has been downloaded to many people. It reportedly:

- allows you to see "Settings" on the 8642 (NB2)
- makes the 8642 slightly less sluggish.
- solves the "memory leak" in the 9865 (NB3) so that it no longer becomes sluggish requiring a reboot.
- solves various other issues with recordings?

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 2016-05-10, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

The latest version of Navigatr firmware is 6.0.2.0102. It should be rolled out to most people by now, but if you don't have it yet, you will shortly.

This version should correct the CC issues people were having with particular channels - either no or garbled CC.

This version also fixed the "Catalog Error 835MC" on 9865 On-Demand channels.

Remember that this is a "list" thread only and that Navigatr should be discussed in the Navigatr thread.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.