Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily.
1. When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings
. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may
also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings. Series scheduled recordings
will be "inside" tiles near the top of the list if one of the series has already been recorded - you'll need to scroll up to the "scheduled" tab. Even if you record the same programme, you'll see different tiles for that programme if you did one with a series recording, one with a single recording (one tile for each single recording) or if you scheduled the same programme for different channels.
2. When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound
). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “Info-More”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3. Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings
” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though. I believe this issue only affects the 8642s (NB2) - perhaps you can trade yours for a 9865 (NB3) - advise Rogers of this and other issues with the 8642 and you may get the exchange for free. Should now be fixed with firmware 6.0.1.0110 - see post 29 below.
4. Don't press the FAV
button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This
" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace
Web interface (or the RAPTV App
, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App
) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list, or the bottom of the Guide. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan
. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles/Guide in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.
9. Courtesy of
, if you use a Harmony or similar programmable remote
, you should tell the remote that you have a 9865 (NB3), otherwise you may run into a "Settings/Menu" issue whereby the incorrect menu comes up on say your 8642 (NB2).
10. If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar
immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW. You may need to enter a 1-2 second "pause" into the macro if the PVR is slow to respond.
11. In one of the Rogers forum CC
threads, there are new instructions on how to turn on/off CC, whether you're in a recording or watching live:
Press "Guide" - "Info" - up arrow twice - you are presented with the option to turn CC on or off. Looks like you can also do language options in that menu if applicable.
12. Gdkitty has developed the following "How To" guide over on the Rogers Forum. Some of the information is copied from my information with my blessing:
Navigatr Guide - How To - Rogers Community
13. Since "single recording" tiles show almost no information regarding the recording, you may wish to set up a "series recording" instead. This tile will show the channel name, date and time when you click the tile. When inside the tile, go to the right side to "delete all scheduled recordings after you've finished watching and deleted the programme you just watched.
14. If you wish to view a series programme that's still recording, click the tile and move to the scheduled tab, rather than the recorded tab. The programme doesn't move to the recorded tab until it's finished recording.
Hope this helps some people. More tips? Please post them below.