Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1

842K views 2K replies 219 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Edit by 57: A summary of items discussed in this thread is in the link below:

Cisco 9865 (NextBox 3.0) Summary List - The Good, The Bad and The Huh? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Other useful Links in the following Post:

New 8 tuner PVR... NextBox 3.0 Discussions (Cisco 9865) - Read Post 1 - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

If your 9865 is part of a WHPVR setup, please use the following thread since many issues are caused by WHPVR and are distinct from stand-alone 9865s:

Whole Home PVR in Ontario Discussions (NextBox 2.0/3.0) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Purchasing or Renting a 9865 Discussions:

Rogers HDPVR Shopping Discussions Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Upgrading the iHDD:

Upgrade iHDD on 9865 (NextBox 3.0)? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

I've started a thread specifically for the switching to PCM issue. Please use that thread for any switching to PCM discussions. Thanks. This issue appears to have been resolved with the latest firmware.

NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Switching to PCM Issue - Resolved. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Looks like there will be a new 8 tuner rogers PVR available in the next couple of months.

I was at a BBQ over the weekend and someone who works for Rogers let this info slip.

Hopefully this next version will have an updated GUI with some additional features... NextBox 3.0???

See less See more
#6 ·
One thing that made me laugh about the tester email is the inconsistency of the use of the term NextBox and NetBox.

Good grief... If they can't pay attention to the simple details of an email communication campaign, how are they ever going to QA their software?

#7 ·
I am hoping one of the new features is being able to Pause/rewind live tv from set top boxes other than the PVR. Right now I have two PVR's and 1 set top box and could use a second set top box as well.

So I am excited to try it out, hope this email is legit. Never heard of this "Testing Portal" before though?

#8 ·
They're likely deploying the same Cisco gateway that cox is deploying in the US. The gateway is supposed to be able to convert the QAM signal into IP in real time and shuttle them to IP only devices. If they flip the 4642s into IP only mode, they should be able to pause and rewind live TV. But at the same time, each home would be limited to 8 live streams.

Also the fact that they list recording up to 8 shows and storing up to 240 hours of programming as the only Nextbox 3.0 exclusives leads me to believe that it will run the exact same interface as the current NextBox 2.0.

EDIT: It looks like Ciscos new 9800 series only supports 6 tuners, so perhaps Rogers is gearing up to dump them for another vendor or they've got Cisco to make a custom model for them.

#12 ·
Should be possible. All the new gateway devices has QAM to IP transcoders that are designed to bring programming to any IP enabled device. Whether that will actually be possible with Rogers is another story, but I'm pretty certain whatever hardware they roll out will be capable of doing it.

@Hooter, if they are in fact using Cisco, they don't have any four tuner DVRs on the market right now.

#10 ·
"Also the fact that they list recording up to 8 shows and storing up to 240 hours of programming as the only Nextbox 3.0 exclusives leads me to believe that it will run the exact same interface as the current NextBox 2.0."

I do know for a fact that it will be a Cisco receiver.

#11 ·
I wonder if in fact it will be a PVR with 8 tuners or whether it will in fact have 4 tuners, not 8. The wording of the email suggests that you can record "up to" 8 shows at the same time. My guess is that you might require 2 PVR boxes, with each box allowing you to record up to 4 shows each!

#16 ·
If it is the Multiscreen 9800 that is going to be a game changer for Rogers. Thus whole line from Cisco is loaded with features. The ability to work on managed and unmanaged devices is long overdue. Stream live tv to your pc/tablet/phone from your pvr!

Just hope the interface is better!

#22 ·
Ive been hoping for this improvement. Lets see if it gets out to the public for 2014.
I expect it to work as follows:

Gateway to be installed either in a hardware/media closet OR at the main TV room.
connections as follows: Cable in (Coax), Ethernet cat6 (10/100/1000), HDMI (if plugged into a TV).

Receivers as follows: Apple TV, Xbox One, smart TV, media box (various manufacturers) etc.

Im excited and speculating using my own home setup.

Gateway in closet (docsis 3 modem, home phone hardware, 10/100/1000 switch, cat6 wiring, 802.11ac wireless router)
TV in family room connected to 8300HD (may replace it with Apple TV). **wired ethernet
TV in master bedroom connected to 8642 (may replace it with Apple TV). **wired ethernet
TV in Childrens Area connected to 4250HD (may replace it with Xbox One). **wired ethernet (existing wii, xbox360)
Future Apple iTV in the basement (speculation). **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Ipods x2 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Iphones x2 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g
Ipad x1 **wireless 802.11ac/n/g

#28 ·
Funny, I recieved an email from Rogers this morning asking if we wanted to be part of the testing of NextBox 3.0. Took me to a Rogers site to simply accept Rogers offer, asked for no information.
How do you get to be a beta tester? The drive in my 8300HD has failed and I could use a new PVR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.