New SARA Firmware 1.93.16.1 for SA8300HD Discussions - Summary in Post 1. - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 170 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 11:42 PM
PFD

Um....has there been an update lately that now makes all the On Demand menus look like old Commodore 64 graphics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 170 (permalink) Old 2015-05-14, 01:40 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although I haven't been monitoring it closely, the 8300HD in my office behind me when I'm on the forum has been spinning down "properly" for a while. Who knows how long this will last. Last week this unit had what I would call extreme HSUD - spinning up and down every few seconds. I could not access any recordings. I rebooted it and HSUD stopped and I could access recordings.

I just checked and the 8300HD in my Home Theatre is not currently spun down.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #168 of 170 (permalink) Old 2015-12-12, 02:33 PM
PFD

My five year old 8300 has bit the dust. It's been HSUDing for a while now but yesterday all of a sudden it shut down and had a hard time rebooting. The hard drive would try to click in place but it couldn't, so I'd keep hearing loud clicking as it tried to boot up. It wouldn't boot up at all and eventually it stopped trying. I turned it on and it came on but the HD wouldn't operate, so it works fine as an STB but can't access Hard DRive. Today, I turned on the Blu Ray and the "hand shake" tried to spin the Hard Drives on the box back up so the whole box powered down and went through the unsuccesful boot cycle. Again finally it started to operate fine, just without the HD. Lost a bunch of recordings. Time for a new box. I guess the Nextbox 3

post #169 of 170 (permalink) Old 2015-12-12, 02:59 PM

With all the problems I've been reading about the Nextbox 3, especially where the new Navigatr UI has been deployed, I would look for a replacement hard drive first. I have one ready in case mine ever fails. There's a thread here on that and the type of drives that will work. Certainly don't buy a NB3 before trying a rental to see if you're happy. While the multiple recording ability is nice, it's missing some of the useful features you're accustomed to on the 8300.
post #170 of 170 (permalink) Old 2015-12-13, 07:00 AM

Or take to Kijiji and look for another 8300. Even if it lasts you a year, you still save money (and aggravation) over getting a Nextbox 3.

"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.