New SARA Firmware 1.93.14.1 Discussions (SA8300HD) Summary in Post 1 - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot View Post
Deaddy:

Since I don't have an external, I'm unable to test that combination. Just to clarify things, you do actually hear the iHDD cycling with the external disconnected mid-playback? How often does this happen?

I'm only asking these questions, trying to fully understand whats going on. I'm concerned some people reading this and other forums, if their playback pauses for a split second once in a while, are reporting it as a HSUD issue.
While watching recorded programs I don't hear it spin down. What happens is the program I'm watching freezes, then I hear a small click, then I hear the internal HDD spin UP before the program resumes playing, meaning it had spun down mid-program. This behavior was the same whether watching a program off the internal or external, and even while watching on external the click and spin up comes from inside the PVR. I can't say for sure if the external also spins down/up but I have not heard it do so. I couldn't say exactly how often it happens, maybe every 10-15 minutes. When not watching or recording a program, with the PVR turned off, you can hear it stopping and starting by itself as well, not sure how often that occurs. I have been keeping it recording at all times to prevent this. I'm not labeling it as HSUD cause I'm not even sure what that is, I'm just describing what's happening to me, and it started around the same time this firmware was released. I checked my fw version and it is the new one. Hope that gives you some detail you were looking for.

Last edited by Deaddy; 2012-09-23 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 05:14 PM
Veteran

Same experience here. But the freeze is like every 5 minutes or so, sometimes more frequently. Very annoying. I also hear the click and the drive spinning up again. What a mess.
post #168 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 05:50 PM

Today I confirmed that program descriptions on the Scheduled Recordings list disappear.
I schedule programs a few days in advance on a individual basis. I had a number of programs set for today and the rest of the week all of which had originally had descriptions.

For example on CH523 at 4:25 the NFL game Houston @ Denver was set.
Today I noticed that only the title NFL Football was indicated on the Scheduled Recording list.

The IPG however did contain the full description. From the list I edited the recording by changing the save time. The description now appeared. I then performed a re-boot on the PVR.
While the descriptions on the IPG for today were included the description on the Scheduled Recordings list had disappeared again. In fact I found that most of the programs on the scheduled Recordings list had lost their descriptions. The titles had remained.

The disappearance of descriptions did not correspond to lack of description on the IPG throughout the week. Even though the IPG included a program description the Scheduled Recordings list had none.

I confirmed this on my second SA8300HD PVR in the bedroom which has no eHDD attached. After a re-boot program descriptions on the Scheduled Recordings list disappeared.
Programs still recorded and were playable with or without a description.

I also have a non PVR Explorer 4250HD Terminal which needs to constantly reload the program descriptions. I seem to only have program descriptions for 3 days at a time. For instance Sunday Monday and Tuesday. If I load a program description for Wednesday the Tuesday descriptions disappear. If I change to Saturday and load the IPG and the program descriptions the Wednesday descriptions need to be re-loadad

I might guess that Rogers is having some server issues which are affecting the IPG that may be coincidental with the firmware upgrade on the SA8300HD PVR.

IMHO

post #169 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 05:55 PM

I wonder how many customers are in the same boat as this guy and dealing with a company that just does not care!

SA Explorer 8300HD Repair? (HSUD)
post #170 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 06:04 PM
Veteran

I already had that experience back in 2011 on ALL of my 8300 due to Rogers' HSUD.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #171 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
The external drive screen is popping up every time I turn the PVR off and on but there appears to be no impact on recordings.
That appears to be by design. Vanishes quickly if left alone.
post #172 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:41 AM
Veteran

This morning the HSUD is getting worse. It's HSUD-ing even when I watch SD channels. While watching HD channels, there is no HSUD.

Of course as per usual. HSUD run rampant when the 8300 is in standby mode.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #173 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 12:05 PM

I'm wondering where the firmware and IPG information (including program descriptions of recordings and planned recordings) is kept.

If this is within chips, perhaps there is only limited space in which to store new firmware, upgrades, etc. so some is either being pushed out and lost or other areas intended for storage of other info is being pressed into service.

I would really like to get my hands on a technical (service) manual for the 8300 series.

- Bill H.

Rogers SA8300HD Thermaltake ST0005U WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX SA1840 ( x3 )
post #174 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 12:29 PM
Veteran

Is it only on my system or truly most of the program info are no longer available for m$ost of the channels?

post #175 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 01:41 PM

I called tech support today and was told my ticket from the 13th was closed. She told me that Rogers had pushed out a fix for the HSUD issue starting on the 21st, but opened another ticket for me C62258443.

I turned the PVR off to test the fix. HSUD is still present. It did take a week or so for the last firmware change to make it to my area (WoodstocK), so I imagine the fix if it's real will take a few days as well. She said Toronto usually get the updates first.

Has anyone in the Toronto area notice the HSUD issue when the PVR is powered off being fixed?
post #176 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Nope, still HSUD-ing

post #177 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 03:26 PM

I'm in Toronto, thought my PVR was set to record shopping channel til late tonight but I just heard it click and then spin up from the other room, guess I haven't received any fix.
post #178 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 03:26 PM

Same here - not fixed. I just called in on Saturday, though I am not hopeful they will do anything!
post #179 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 05:41 PM

Same here in Mississauga. I had been recording all day while we watched programs from last night. I stopped the recording, did a cold boot and then started watching a recording without a program recording at the same time. Within 3 minutes, heard the internal hard drive power up and the playback paused for 2 seconds.

I'm back to recording an SD channel while I watch recordings.
post #180 of 443 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_davey View Post
Also, they may have started rolling out a new version. This morning while watching a recording I had a thought about the HSUD issue and then thinking further I realized I've watched many hours(20+) of recordings over the last few days with no stutters. .....
As I can't really say when my HSUD issue went away it may also have been after a forced Hard Reboot (hold Power Button in until BOOT appears when connecting the power connector).
Well the above was a waste of time as the HSUD during recorded program playback came back yesterday morning and happened many times over the day. I initially noticed it while watching the F1 race. Near the end of the race they had switched the display from laps remaining to time remaining and started counting down from 12.00. During this 12 minute period it first paused with 10:29 remaining and the second time it paused at 8:29 and then didn't happen again until it was over. Just to verify it wasn't a drive media problem I rewound back to 3-4 minutes before the 12:00 minute countdown started and watched again. The second time through it paused with 10:22 remaining but didn't pause again after that. Now I'm wondering could the problem have something to do with fragmentation or better stated lack of fragmentation. My external is a Western Digital Green drive and could it be filling all buffers available reading non-fragmented areas and spinning down before the next command given.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.