Rogers 8642 & 9865 HD PVR External SATA Drive discussion - See Post 1 First - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 214 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 09:39 PM
Rookie

Thanks alebowgm, I guess the esata drive will be left on at all times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 214 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 11:32 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Quote:
I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording
The PVR doesn't come "on" to record, so what you're attempting will not work. As mentioned many times in this forum, the eHDD needs to be on 24/7 in order to be used.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #93 of 214 (permalink) Old 2011-12-20, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Okay, I found a Vantec enclosure that will work with my 8642. I had a 160 gb 7200 rpm Samsung drive inside the enclosure as a test drive. The pvr found the drive, formatted it, and said my free space was 52%. Before attaching the enclosure, the drive was almost full.

I'm not sure but does the 8642 support advanced format (4k) drives?
post #94 of 214 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Iomega 34508 eSATA DVR 1TB Expander Drive

Has anybody tested this with the 8642 model?

Thanx in advance

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-29 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #95 of 214 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 05:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Based on the web searches I did, it seems that it should be compatible. I searched this thread for "iomega" and only found one previous post asking the same question...

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #96 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Smile Thanx

That's good to know because they are on sale at Amazon.ca for $105 ca including free shipping.

Thanx for the prompt reply.

Great forum I have learned a lot.

Best Regards, Fred
post #97 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 11:47 AM

I am using the 1TB expander from IOMEGA on my 8642 and it works great! No problems at all.
post #98 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 10:27 PM
Rookie

Seagate 1TB as an extender?

I have an extra Seagate ST31000333AS (7200 rpm) and a Mcally external case (fanless)... and tried to connect it as an extender.

The FIRST try, it asked the usual "do you want to format..." and then the "this device will work... " message a little later. The "percentage used" appeared to be consistent with the added drive being "in service".

However, whenever I changed channels, the screen would "freeze" momentarily. When I tried to actually RECORD something, the screen would "freeze" momentarily and then free up... but there would be no red "record" light showing on the PVR and there would be no indication of a recording in the list. (In retrospect, I suspect the freeze on channel-change was a byproduct of the PVR trying to start its new "temporary" recording of the new channel.)

Unfortunately, I did not think to go through the info screens to see what they had to say at the time.

I shut everything down and pulled the power on it all, removed the drive and rebooted the PVR. It has worked fine without the external drive for a week.

Today, I pulled the power on everything and tried the drive again. I get the same "do you want to format " message, but nothing else. When I go through the info screens, pages 29 and 30 show that the PVR recognizes the correct models and serial number for both the internal and external drives, (showing both as "non removable"). Page 29 shows the partition info of the internal drive, but on page 30, the partitions of the EXTERNAL drive are shown as "not available".

ON PAGE 14, there is a SOFTWARE ANOMALIES warning. The text appears to run past the screen width, but the gist seems to be:
"[SATA Forma] (sic), could not partition drive, status = 0xFFFFB8F6..." and some more similar.
It has the date and time of this "software anomaly" which is consistent with today's PVR boot-up time.

QUESTION 1. It is obvious that the external disc is being treated differently on THIS boot up than it was a week ago. Any ideas why, and can anything be done to reset that?

QUESTION 2. Has anybody been successful with a Seagate drive?

post #99 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 11:52 PM

When I did a web search for this drive I noticed lots of references to how "green" it is. Any drive connected to the PVR needs to be up 24/7, per the link in post 1 of this thread to the 8300, so any "green" drives that spin down, etc are not compatible.

Sometimes people can change the HDD settings by connecting to a computer, but I'll leave further comments on that subject to others more competent than I. In the 8300 thread we have found that the black WD drives have been most compatible while the Seagates have been problematical, although some people did get some to work.

I searched this thread for "seagate*" and found one positive post... Good Luck.

post #100 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 07:23 PM
Rookie

I bought the on sale at Amazon.ca for $105 ca including free shipping.
Hooked it up today nice & easy, have a couple of things recording tonight just to check it out.
With luck will make the wife happy!!
post #101 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 04:37 PM
Rookie

After deciding that the Seagate is not going to work, I powered everything off, removed the drive, booted the PVR several times, with and without the cable attached.
Even had the box re-authorized.

Checking the info pages shows only the internal drive.

So now I power everything off and stick a WD 1001FALS 1TB drive into the eSATA port. It asks whether I want to format it, but there is no real activity on the external drive and the net results are the same as for the Seagate:
Page 14 complains about software anomalies "cannot partition drive...", and pages 37 or whatever shows the drive as recognized, but the partition data as "not available".

There is a distinct difference NOW, from the time before I stuck the Seagate in FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME..... That FIRST time, I did get:
...activity on the drive
...the "this device will work " message (even though it didn't)
...and a more-or-less appropriate "percent used" number after the so-called "format".

In spite of numerous cold boots without ANY drive, the PVR does not appear to be in that same "pre-drive" state that it was before I started all this.

Except for that first time, and "first" boot with a drive attached seems to recognize the drive, asks if you want to format, but never actually does anything.

Is there any "3-finger-salute" that will initialize this PVR, other than the "pull the power" bit????? ... to get the PVR back to that pre-external-drive state???

post #102 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 07:55 PM
Rookie

I have to declare DEFEAT!

I have rebooted the box n times with and without the drive attached and the result is always the same. Power pull, or the "pause-pagedown-stop" method.

With the drive attached, it asks me if I want to format... Press A and nothing happens. Ever.

And page 14 continues to show "cannot partition..." etc.

I cannot get it into the state in which it was before I started.... when it DID try to do something with the drive... just that once.

post #103 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. These PVRs are not as forgiving as computers and only certain drives and enclosures are accepted. As mentioned in post 1 of these threads, we recommend certain drives and enclosures. If you go outside those recommendations you are experimenting and setting yourself up for possible failure.

post #104 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Yes....

But I still don't understand why the PVR does not go back to its original state before I first tried an external drive....

... back where it at least TRIED to format the drive.

I can accept that my combo may not work.... but since it TRIED to format it once, I would have hoped that it would "TRY" again.

post #105 of 214 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 10:04 AM
Rookie

I am using the 1TB expander from IOMEGA on my 8642 and it works great! No problems at all. We have recorded many things now & it works great, records when we want it to & the playback is also great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.