Internal HDD Replacement - Rogers 8642 PVR - Read Post 1 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavenowitness View Post
...the Caviar Black drive being used with success ... was a WD1001FALS and the one I am trying is an HD-WD1002FAEX. It seems the difference is a 64mb cache instead of a 32mb cache.
The WD1600AAJS is 8MB cache.

I'm an old ReplayTV user and when we first started upgrading those we found the 16MB drives worked fine but the 32MB ones would not boot.

Obviously not an exact parallel but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the cache is the problem.

Jim
Kitchener, ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I noticed the Caviar Black drive being used with success before was an HD-WD1001fals and the one I am trying is an HD-WD1002FAEX. It seems the difference is a 64mb cache instead of a 32mb cache.

I can't see how this is messing up the machine but I suppose I will keep trying.

Any advice would be appreciated as I would really like this to work
The specs on the WD site state that the interface on the WD1001FALS is 3 Gb/s and the WD1002FALS is 6 Gb/s. This difference would likely be the cause of the problem rather than the larger buffer. There does not seem to be any options or utilities to downgrade the drive.
post #18 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 11:16 AM
Rookie

Must have cable connected!!

After a long frustrating day of trying to make my Caviar Black 1 TB drive come to life at my work ( hooked up to a tv but no cable feed ) I decided to try it at home before completely giving up just in case the box was needing a new firmware update to be flashed from the cable provider to recognize the drive.

BINGO

After hooking the box to my cable feed and connecting the new HDD, we have success. It formatted the drive in a few minutes and the time popped up fairly quickly.

A quick search through the firmware shows I now have 999GB of space available.

I love success!!!

- Thanks for all your help Jim, I wish I'd thought to ask about it being hooked to the cable line in advance but I couldn't fathom the relevance.

LeaveNoWitness

post #19 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 01:11 PM

Quote:
After ... trying to make my Caviar Black 1 TB drive ... work ... BINGO
Glad to hear it worked out.

Just so we're clear, your WD Black is the WD1002FAEX. Correct?

Jim
Kitchener, ON
post #20 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 05:08 PM
Rookie

WD HD-WD1002FAEX - 1TB 64Mb cache 7200rpm 6GB/s SATA III

You are bang on Jim,

For the record I haven't tried recording yet as I didn't feel like calling rogers at 11pm lastnight to activate the box but at least you can actually see the HDD being properly recognized in the firmware now.

It's funny,

My local PC shop doesn't carry the 1001FALS anymore. only the 1002FAEX.

I will post back again when I have filled the drive successfully

Leavenowitness
post #21 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-25, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Glad it turned out to be a simple solution.
I do believe the higher cache model is overkill though, so unless your local computer store doesn't sell the lower cache model you shouldn't need to buy the WD1002FAEX. At current this drive appears to cost about 10% more than the WD1001FALS.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #22 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 05:13 PM

LTJ, I would assume that by now you have reached the capacity of the 1TB drive.
Can you confirm that everything worked well ?

(I think you had posted previously about a different pvr where the recordings got corrupted as you approached full capacity.)

Thanks.
post #23 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 09:04 AM
Rookie

question about capacity

Hi fellows,

I have been reading your posts regarding the internal hdd install.

I see you have added 1tb drives and have been able to format and 'fill' them with data.

I recently bought the 500gb version of the 8642(hd3) and I am having issues with the % remaining on the receiver.

Have any of you that have gone to the 1tb drives actually added up the # of hrs of content on the drive to see if you are actually using the entire drive???

The reason I ask is because as I said I have the 500gb version but the firmware thinks its a 160gb.

The reason I know(think) this is the case is because:

1) the drive shows up on page27 as 499gb
2) 1 hr of HD content recorded uses 5% of space....s.b. 1.6%
3) 1 hr of HD content on the 160gb hdd would be exactly 5%

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanx.
post #24 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloman View Post
Have any of you that have gone to the 1tb drives actually added up the # of hrs of content on the drive to see if you are actually using the entire drive???
I presently have 25.5 hrs of HD using 17% of my 1TB drive. That's 0.67% per hour which, according you the math in your post, should be just about right.

Jim
Kitchener, ON
post #25 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemankent View Post
LTJ, I would assume that by now you have reached the capacity of the 1TB drive. Can you confirm that everything worked well?
I filled it to 850 GB (which I was never able to do reliably with the 8300 using a SATA adapter & TB drive) and it worked flawlessly. At that point I declared victory and put it into service.

Jim
Kitchener, ON
post #26 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Poloman - Jim's hard drive usage percentages are consistent with mine.

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC
post #27 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Doh...

Thanx for the follow-up guys.

Did either of you have to wait for an update or was the capacity automatically correct?

I have a 'ticket' with Rogers but they have not responded with a solution

post #28 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-29, 10:57 PM

I changed the drive from the stock 160GB to 1TB before I plugged the unit in. I then connected it, waited until it booted then checked the drive size. Page 28 said 999 GB.

Didn't need to do anything special at all.

Jim
Kitchener, ON
post #29 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 12:31 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Poloman, have you performed a cold reboot (or 2) of the PVR to see if the firmware then reads the size correctly?

57 FAQ - Tips For SA (Cisco) STBs. (also Pace)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #30 of 195 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing as 57 - cold reboot to check if the PVR then reported the space correctly. The thing I don't like about that 'fix' is that this is supposed to be a store bought 500GB drive. We've generally only needed that reboot fix to get a PVR to recognize a change in drive, or adding an additional external hard drive to an existing PVR. Straight out of the box no one should need to be rebooting the PVR over and over... but we'll see what he reports when he posts next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.