Cancelled Account: Access to 8300HD PVR - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 2015-04-10, 04:49 PM

I know that when I unplugged the power and unscrewed the cable from my 8300HD and started it up again without the cable, I got some message about not authorized, but eventually could play my recordings. I did notice that the time was not correct on the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 10:20 PM

OK I cancelled my cable service with Rogers last week. The time on the 8300HD displayed past the date and eventually became four dashes. I had recalled reading here that it was likely possible to view your recordings after cancellation, so I referenced the information in this forum.

I was unable to get anywhere and only saw the unauthorized message ... But I am not entirely sure if someone here was successful in resurrecting their recordings on a deactivated 8300HD?

I own the 8300HD and it has an upgraded 500 GB correct IDE drive filled with programming I would like to view now and in the future and think that Rogers should not have the right to deny people the access to what is their equipment with recordings made during active subscription over many years.

I was not able to reach the Office of the President since they would not transfer my call but I did speak to a Customer Service, Loyalty Program Manager and explained to him my disappointment and disagreemnet with Rogers deactivating my owned PVR and deny me access to my recordings.

To appease the situation, he reactivated my PVR and allowed me six weeks to view my recorded content after which it will be deactivated again. Also, I asked for a call-back from the Office of the President which I was told will take place in three to five days.

I think it is totally improper to deny access to recorded content on customer-owned equipment, sure disconnect the cable that is fine.

Input and views of members is welcome, I will be talking with the Office of the President.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-04-29, 10:50 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although it was possible to utilize the 8300HD as discussed years ago, early in this thread W/O service, I do not believe you can do this any more, as discussed in most recent posts. Also, you must unplug the PVR before they deactivate your service - in that case you may have a few weeks to watch your recordings before the PVR becomes totally inoperable.

The "test" done by @oldyellr , above tested that, but did not test after deactivation or for the long term. Although the PVR is yours, the programming recorded on it is not. The programming is "lent" to you for timeshifting only, while on Rogers, not for archiving. Of course you can sell the PVR to someone else on Rogers.

The 8642 and 9865 simply will not boot without service.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 12:20 AM

Thanks 57, so as you say unplugging before deactivation appears to be the only option that may provide more time to view recorded content? I plan to set a reminder for myself to unplug before it is deactivated again.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 01:15 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Even that (disconnecting the cable, but leaving the PVR plugged in) may not be guaranteed, if you lose power later. The newer PVRs require an active connection to boot. I'm not sure if that applies to the 8300HD now. Post 46 seems to indicate you can boot, but that was a year ago...

As always, it's a good idea to have the PVR on a UPS to preclude short power failures that can cause HDD damage and reboots.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 2016-04-30, 01:32 PM

I always used a UPS.

When Rogers sent the signal to de-authorize it I did manage to get the BOOT message on power up but the end result was four dashes displayed instead of the time and terminal unauthorized on the TV.

I suspect Rogers must have changed something to prevent playback when they de-authorize, it appears that some were able back then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.