Cancelled Account: Access to 8300HD PVR - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is what happened in the clearest explanation I can give.

Wednesday, April 22nd:
-Called Rogers and cancelled my service
-Set the deactivation date for Friday, May 29th, just over 5 weeks notice

Friday, May 29th:
-Service was deactivated; this was Rogers shutting off access to the cable at their HQ office
-Cable went offline sometime between 6:00am to 2:00pm, the terminal was plugged in during this time (i.e. receiving power and connected to the coax)
-The basic cable signal could still be accessed by hooking the coax from the wall directly into the TV (basic cable has to be turned off by a Rogers technician who comes out and completely disables the signal)

Powered on, mid afternoon Friday:
-When I powered up the TV the “not authorized” message was already displayed, I did not power on the terminal this was the TV only
-Unplugged the power and coax from the terminal and let sit for 5 minutes
-Plugged only the power back into the terminal and got:

1. Clock display: - |¯| |_| -
2. Clock display: boot for 8 seconds
3. TV: PowerTV logo for 2 seconds
4. Clock display and TV go blank for 4 seconds
5. White flash across TV screen horizontally in the middle (resembled a broken up think line)
6. TV and Clock display blank for 2 seconds
7. Clock display: ----
8. TV: Displaying video signal from terminal
Attention
Your EXPLORER settop is
NOT AUTHORIZED for use.
Please call (866)894-9962

-Called Rogers and played phone tag for over and hour and a half with the end result, them telling me I have to re-subscribe

Saturday, May 30th:
-Terminal had been sitting without a connection to the coax and power for about 24 hours
-Tried plugging the power back in and got the same thing as detailed above

Rest of the weekend:
-Plugging power back into the terminal at random times, always the same result

Monday, June 1st:
-Decided to extract the HDD and attempt to break the encryption
-HDD and its encryption are currently being analyzed
-Terminal now resides in a pile on the edge of my computer work desk with the case and HDD bracket off

I don’t know how I can give more detail than that. So with having the terminal plugged into both the power and the coax when Rogers deactivated the service there must have been a lockout code sent over the line to disable the terminal.

Reasons that I have come up after reading a ton of info in relation to this (theories only at the moment):
1. The terminal has Rogers logo as such they don’t want you to be able to use it with any other cable service
2. There is some fine print somewhere that says the terminal can be locked out when the service is deactivated, either to prevent use with another service or they have a contract that says recorded content on the PVR/DVR can not be accessible after service is deactivated
3. Rogers is playing the re-subscribe game to try and get customers to a) come back or b) stay with Rogers by saying that if you want access to the terminal (the one with their logo) you must be a subscriber with active service

Last edited by Universe; 2009-06-02 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added cross link/minor spelling fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 01:00 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Thank you for the detailed description. Sorry it won't work for you now. It is possible that when they deactivate your account that something is written to the HDD which displays the messages you see, as well as the "lockout". (Edit - The message can be useful to anyone in order to reactivate the PVR, although "locking" the PVR seems unncessary)

I don't recall encountering this situation on this forum before, at least not after the PVRs were allowed to boot without a cable connection. A few years back, the PVRs would not boot if you were not connected to cable, that's why I rechecked this afternoon to make sure mine would - it did.

FYI, the PVRs will not work on any other service provider - see the following thread on that topic.

"Outside" SA/Cisco STBs work on Rogers (or Videotron)? (No!) See Post 1

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 09:11 AM

This is the message you get when you first plug in your STB. I suspect the Rogers placed the unit in that state. I recall being able to listen to Galaxy channels on mine before it was activated.

You didn't mention it, but you did press LIST right?

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 09:42 AM
Veteran

The detailed message indicates that service was to be discontinued on May 29. Did you specify a time?

In other words, should you have been able to use it until 2359hrs on May 29?

Unless you can hack it, that may be your only leverage - they discontinued the service early, and owe you a few hours. Pretty thin, but maybe.....?
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-02, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, pressed ‘List’ on the remote as well as on the terminal. Various combinations from pressing at the Attention message to continually pressing it during power-up were all tried; no access to the PVR/DVR list was given.

For specific deactivation time I received two different responses from Rogers agents,
1) Customer Service agent at time of cancellation: service would remain online until 11:59pm (2359hrs)
2) Customer Service agent confirming cancellation/deactivation (a week before the deactivation date): same as above
3) Customer Service agent as well as a supervisor after calling in after 2:00pm: service was slated to be deactivated today (Friday, May 29th) there is no specific time, it could be deactivated anytime between 6:00am (0600hrs) to 11:59pm (2359hrs) and can not be turned back on after deactivated (unless you re-subscribe), the information you were given about the service staying active until midnight is wrong and we can not do anything about it
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-03, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
3) Customer Service agent as well as a supervisor after calling in after 2:00pm: service was slated to be deactivated today (Friday, May 29th) there is no specific time, it could be deactivated anytime between 6:00am (0600hrs) to 11:59pm (2359hrs) and can not be turned back on after deactivated (unless you re-subscribe), the information you were given about the service staying active until midnight is wrong and we can not do anything about it
Like I said, it is pretty thin, but that almost consitutes a breach of contract in my non-legal mind. I have no real knowledge, so I may be wrong. This really sucks.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-03, 01:52 PM

There is no method we can use to reactivate for "A couple hours" - minimum is a day or so.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rRep View Post
There is no method we can use to reactivate for "A couple hours" - minimum is a day or so.
Rogers Inc owes this guy a day of viewing. If you won't accomodate him properly, you should provide DVDs of the shows he captured but has been denied the right to watch.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 01:43 AM

If we weren't able to accomodate his request, the appropriate action is to give a credit for 1 days service.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-06-09, 01:04 PM
GEB
Rookie

If you're "done" with Rogers, are you interested in selling your unit. I'm in the market, provided I could activate it and somehow satisfy your recovery process for you.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Figured out 8300 pvr-watching recordings after cancellation

Just button mashing, but figured it out.

I do not know if all steps are needed, but this sequence worked:

Unplug cable
unplug dvr and reset, power on again
press and hold select button until envelope appears on display of unit
press and hold list button for a few seconds

it should say 'this unit is now authorized to play back recordings when disconnected.

hope that helps.

Edit, the above tip may or may not work - only a test will confirm.

Last edited by 57; 2012-05-16 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Edit
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-10, 10:07 AM

Thanks Scotty. That is good information. I will see about adding it to the tips and tricks thread.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 01:52 PM

Thanks again. I just activated the playback functions on my deactivated PVR. I had to try the combo mentioned a few times but it does work. Just before I cancelled my account I filled up the 1GB drive. That should tide me over for a few months until summer is here.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 02:54 AM
Veteran

If this works, its 100% worth adding a sticky or having it added to some of the FAQ sections on the site...

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750

Last edited by 57; 2011-03-01 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 09:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Added to SA FAQ.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.