Disabling the Power Save feature on the 8300HD stb - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Disabling the Power Save feature on the 8300HD stb

I have been trying in vain (4 days of discussions with tech supp) to get Videotron to disable (or allow me to disable) the Power Save mode on my 8300HD stb.

The standard responses are:

A) Our customers like this feature.
B) No one has ever complained about it.

Am I the only Videotron customer/8300HD owner who would prefer to disable it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-24, 05:39 PM

Good luck getting anything from Videotron.
Their arrogance will lead to their demise.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-25, 06:49 AM
Veteran

I purchased my first SA DVR in April 2004 and contrary to zamboni, I have never found Videotron CSR's arrogant.

MisterEd, are you referring to the fact that even powered ON, the HDD will stop during the night?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-27, 09:04 PM

There's no possibility of desactivate that function since it's the Os itself. So, it gotta to be everyone or none.

That function is made to help the harddrive live longer and it will only stop at 3 specific time during the night.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-29, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

To answer M Fabien, the 8300HD attempts to enter sleep mode several times between 1-5 am. I find this really annoying since I watch a number of programs between midnite and 4 am. If I miss the 5 minute warning (during a snack break, or if I get distracted for a few minutes), the unit will enter power-save mode. When this happens, the hard drive powers down, and the video buffer gets flushed. Occasionally, during power-save mode, the unit even changes to another channel by itself! Then when I return and wake up the PVR, I cannot rewind and watch what I missed.

To respond to SyStEm, I know the intent is to help the harddrive live longer, but the unit already had a hardware power-save button. It's called the ON/OFF switch. The decision to enable or disable this function should be my choice. I own the unit, so if the hard drive needs replacing, it will come out of my pocket.

When I first purchased the unit two years ago, power-save mode did not exist. Then one day, Videotron pushed new firmware into my unit with the power-save feature (along with a general settings option to enable or disable this mode). Several months later, they updated the firmware again, and removed the enable/disable option.

I discussed this problem with customer service at Scientific Atlanta, and was politely advised that SciAtl does not provide customized firmware to Videotron or any other service providers. It is up to Videotron to build the firmware either in-house, or via third party developer. Thus Videotron has complete control of the hardware/software, and can choose to enable/disable hardware ports or add/remove features (desirable or otherwise) at any time. And since the STB addresses are maintained in a database at Videotron, they could probably upload specific featuresets as a value-added service.

But what really bugs me is that I wasted so much time (8 hours over 4 days) trying to find the right person at Videotron who could address this issue.

And in the end, I was politely told to go away.

So please, if the power-save feature bugs you, post it here.

Last edited by MisterEd; 2007-07-29 at 02:49 AM. Reason: clarification
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-29, 07:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
To answer M Fabien, the 8300HD attempts to enter sleep mode several times between 1-5 am. I find this really annoying since I watch a number of programs between midnite and 4 am. If I miss the 5 minute warning (during a snack break, or if I get distracted for a few minutes), the unit will enter power-save mode. When this happens, the hard drive powers down, and the video buffer gets flushed. Occasionally, during power-save mode, the unit even changes to another channel by itself! Then when I return and wake up the PVR, I cannot rewind and watch what I missed.
This will not entirely satisfy you but if I were you, I would record each program that I view between those hours, even if I view them "Live". First it calls for an activity which the DVR cannot ignore then if and when the DVR stops operations, you can power up the unit, rewind and playback the recording from the place left off.

Or you can from time to time press the "Pause" button which forces reaction from the buffer and again this will tell the unit that there is activity.

Hope this helps.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-07-31, 12:39 AM

Just for the record, maybe 80% of people doesn't know that a illico box have a power button.
If Videotron were to give the option to enable or disable that option, maybe the PVR will broke more frequently. Under warranty, it will cost a lot to replace.

I know there's 3 specific time that the PVR will close but I don't remember the exact hour.

PS.: You own the box, but if you want it to work on the network of Videotron, it need to have the OS that Videotron support. It's about the same thing on internet. You need to have the protocol TCP/IP to get on Internet, you cannot really choose another one or modify something in it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-08-02, 04:36 PM

1h15, 3h15 and 5h15 am when the PVR goes into sleep mode.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-08-03, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyStEm[666] View Post
Just for the record, maybe 80% of people doesn't know that a illico box have a power button.
You're joking I hope.

Ca veut dire q'une tonne de monde n'est 'pas des 100 watts'!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-08-05, 06:23 PM

Nope, it's just that those people doesn't understand electronic.

It's for that that tecnical support always begin with "stupid" question because we never know if the person that call know how things work or not.

I've spoke with a lot of people that doesn't know the difference between the left or right button on the mouse, that doesn't know what Windows stand for, doesn't know that a yellow cable will go in a yellow connection, doesn't know that an illico box need electricity to work, that think if they have a black screen, it's always the same problem, Vidéotron, that is in trouble... etc...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2007-08-06, 05:58 AM
Veteran

You could start the conversation by asking the client if he's (she's) a Digital Home Canada member...

In the affirmative, there would be no need for the stupid questions to qualify the client.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-03-24, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post

To respond to SyStEm, I know the intent is to help the harddrive live longer, but the unit already had a hardware power-save button. It's called the ON/OFF switch. The decision to enable or disable this function should be my choice. I own the unit, so if the hard drive needs replacing, it will come out of my pocket.

When I first purchased the unit two years ago, power-save mode did not exist. Then one day, Videotron pushed new firmware into my unit with the power-save feature (along with a general settings option to enable or disable this mode). Several months later, they updated the firmware again, and removed the enable/disable option.

I discussed this problem with customer service at Scientific Atlanta, and was politely advised that SciAtl does not provide customized firmware to Videotron or any other service providers. It is up to Videotron to build the firmware either in-house, or via third party developer. Thus Videotron has complete control of the hardware/software, and can choose to enable/disable hardware ports or add/remove features (desirable or otherwise) at any time. And since the STB addresses are maintained in a database at Videotron, they could probably upload specific featuresets as a value-added service.

But what really bugs me is that I wasted so much time (8 hours over 4 days) trying to find the right person at Videotron who could address this issue.

And in the end, I was politely told to go away.

So please, if the power-save feature bugs you, post it here.
Ditto! Should be my choice. Called Suddenlink who was clueless and NOT helpful. Shame on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.