Videotron to launch Comcast's Xfinity X1 IPTV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Videotron to launch Comcast's Xfinity X1 IPTV

Videotron announces partnership with Comcast to launch innovative IPTV solution
Quote:
Videotron today announced an agreement with multinational media and technology company, Comcast. The strategic partnership is aimed at developing and delivering an IPTV service based on Comcast's award-winning Xfinity X1 platform that will support a peerless customer experience for Videotron customers.

"We are very pleased with our decision to choose this state-of-the-art platform," said Manon Brouillette, President and CEO of Videotron. "Combined with the power of Videotron's network and its rich array of content, it will enable us to continue offering our customers the best possible experience and will strengthen our technology leadership."

"Xfinity X1 continues to be a game-changer, allowing millions of people to search and navigate live TV, on demand movies and shows, web video, apps and more in a simple, fast and intuitive way," said Tony Werner, President of Technology and Product for Comcast Cable. "The platform has changed the experience of watching video and our partnership with Videotron will extend X1's reach to even more users."

The announcement follows through on Videotron's commitment to meeting consumers' needs with top-grade products and features, reinforcing its number one position in customer satisfaction on the market.
Shaw Cable has launched the Comcast product as "BlueSky TV" and Rogers is preparing to launch it soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 12:41 PM
Veteran

That means that Canada's 3 largest cable companies with about 60% of the market (according to 2009 figures) will be using Comcast technology.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 04:04 PM

And that marks the end of the Cisco/Technicolor experiments in Canada. Rogers dumped them. Videotron dumped them. Cox in the US dumped them. They've all gone with Comcast X1.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Cisco/Technicolor experiments
An I can tell you that I feel like the victim of a very expensive experiment, not only with recent cable equipment but also with satellite equipment. In the past 15 or so years I've had HD and PVR equipment from Canadian BDUs it's been one disaster after another, first from Shaw, then Bell, then Rogers. It seems like no sooner do they get one generation of device working reasonably well than it becomes obsolete (or they make it obsolete) and replace it with something else that takes years to get working right. I've seen several firmware updates that either bricked my equipment of made it almost unusable and then had to wait up to a year for them to fix it.

Don't know if Comcast X1 will be any better but I certainly hope so. In any event, I'm not about to spend another $1000+ on broken boxes that don't work correctly from day one and stay that way after "feature enhancements." In any market segment other than the TV industry, equipment that is so out of date and unreliable would be laughed out of the marketplace and face class action lawsuits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.