Videotron "improving" by removing MuchRetro! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-08, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Videotron "improving" by removing MuchRetro!

Gotta love the marketing spin on the e-mail I just received from videotron:

Quote:
With the aim of improving our service and offering you the best entertainment experience on the market, we have reviewed our channel selection and decided to remove the following from our line-up: MuchRetro (channel 120). This change will take effect starting August 15, 2016.
Gawd how I loathe marketing people and their slimy manipulation of language! How is removing a channel improving their service!? The least they could do is just be honest. I read recently that MuchRetro was one of four specialty channels sold to Stingray Digital Group here in Montreal. It's strange that Videotron is removing the channel since it was a Bell-owned channel! Perhaps Stringray wanted to increase the fee they charge Videotron or maybe they're ending the channel. However, removing a channel certainly doesn't mean it's an "improvement" unless they either 1. drop the package price or 2. replace it with something better!

Too bad. I used to enjoyed the occasional fix of retro videos. I guess I could always watch Youtube.

Just one more reason to ditch cable TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-08, 10:30 AM
Sim
Rookie

I totally agree with you, I've contacted Videotron to complain and they told me the channel isn't popular enough...
I've just filed a complaint.
Maybe if enough people complain about this, they will reconsider.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 07:45 AM

Yes.

I received that email.

It's MuchRetro, MuchLoud, Juicebox, and Book Television.

I wonder how many more improvements are on their way.

Phil

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 08:16 AM
Veteran

Not to stir the pot but why are there no french channels being dropped> I can't imagine that there are no un-popular french channels are there?

It seems odd that all of sudden these channels(excluding Book TV) where recently sold to Stingray, that all of sudden there being dropped? If they where so un-popular why are they being dropped now and not a year ago?

I mean give Stringray a chance to see what they'll do with the channels(assuming they get approval from the CRTC)if they change them or keep them the way they are presently. If nothings done with them, then Videotron can drop them if they change, at least give Stingray and what ever the channels change into a chance to see what there like? Who knows they may become popular?

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 10:37 AM
Veteran

Remember that Shaw is family controlled and their management decisions sometimes don't make sense. Shaw is one of the tightest run BDUs in Canada. They tend to make decisions based on cutting expenses and increasing personal profit over providing what customers want. I sometimes think they make decisions based on motives other than pure business. Their channel selection, such as dropping these channels, may reflect this. In any event, the Rogers/Shaw/Bell trio seem intent in forcing small Canadian and US broadcasters out of the Canadian market.
Wheelman likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Question

I would include Videtron in that as well since the owner(majority) also oowns many channels as well.

It's fun being weird It's fun being weird It's fun being weird You should try it sometime. The Detour
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 11:03 AM

I heard about Videotron dropping those channels before Bell sold the music channels to Stingray, so the two events are not related. The ratings on those music channels are so bad, even Bell didn't carry them when they owned them.

My guess is that the Videotron/Bell contract is up for renewal and Videotron couldn't justify locking themselves into carrying those channels for the length of the contract, which would be several years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 01:29 PM
Veteran

Under those circumstances, I've got to wonder why Stingray would even buy them. The Much franchise has certainly gone downhill since they were launched. With the rise of video streaming and YouTube, music TV channels have lost their appeal. Book also went downhill years ago and I didn't even there was a channel called Juicebox. Maybe Stingray should just take a tax write off and shut them down.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 03:20 PM
Veteran

Juicebox is a music video channel devoted to kids featuring parent-approved videos from today's biggest stars, 24-7
Juicebox - A Music Video Channel Devoted To Kids

I hope Juicebox doesn't get shutdown. It is my favourite new channels for me on Tbaytel when I switched from Shaw.

Maybe Stingray will rebrand them to be video versions of their music channels.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Question

Wasn't Juicebox renamed/rebraqnded from another Much music channel from when it launched? Don't recall the name off hand?For some reason I think it was called Much something or Much More Retro? I;m sure it was called something either then Juicebox and hand Much in the name?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Juicebox was PunchMuch before.

Much More Retro is now Much Retro.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 04:49 PM
Veteran

It was MTV2, then PunchMuch, then Juicebox. It was owned by Craig Media, CHUM and Bell. The change in ownership each time was by acquisition of the parent company.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-07-09, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Question

Thanks.

With all this renaming rebranding and names being used over and over for different channels it starting to be hard to remember which channel is which now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.