New Multi-room HD PVR X8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

New Multi-room HD PVR X8

I saw a full page ad in the Montreal Gazette today for a new Videotron Multi-room PVR that is capable of 8 simultaneous recordings. It has a 2 TB hard drive and 4 times more processing power. No mention if its available as of now and I didn't find it on their website. I hope its not another one of these products that won't be available until next year.

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE732U, Pioneer VSX-921K, Videotron x8 PVR, PS3, Wii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 09:31 AM

I had no trouble finding it. The price for the PVR is $399.

http://www.videotron.com/residential...room-hd-pvr-x8

Quote:
NEVER MISS A SHOW AGAIN.

Eight simultaneous recordings
Program up to eight of your favourite shows at the same time. Everyone in the family can watch their favourite show when they want, on any TV in the house.

NO MORE WORRIES OVER STORAGE.

Keep up to 230 hours of HD recordings
Record new shows and still keep the family’s favourite series and films with two terabytes of storage.

GET MORE OF WHAT YOU LOVE, EVEN FASTER.

The processor that’s 4x more powerful
With its new, even more powerful processor, our Multi-room HD PVR X8 lets you browse the illico interface faster than ever. Use the program guide and experience its ultra-fluid navigation. Rent movies and series in just seconds.

WATCH YOUR RECORDINGS ANYWHERE IN THE HOUSE

Multi-Room PVR
With our Multi-Room function, you only need one X8 terminal for everyone in the family to enjoy what they want to watch, on any TV in the house.
You can start watching a recording in the living room and finish it in your bedroom!
Prerequisite: a Custom 5 TV package (basic HD TV service included) or another TV package of equal or higher value.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 10:01 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's a thread on a similar product in the Rogers Forum, just as an FYI:

NextBox 3.0 (Cisco 9865) Discussions - Read Post 1

The Rogers 9865 has a 1 TB HDD, (not 2) and there are probably other subtle differences.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 11:11 AM

I saw also saw the add and had a quick look at the web link Dr. Dave posted above.

The 8 tuners and 1TB of storage are interesting features. I still have an old silver Scientific Atlanta PVR running Illico 1.0 that eventually will need replacing and once this new X8 unit is offered with a better promotion to existing customers (lower price or free rental for a couple of years) I will make the switch and retire the old workhorse.

In the meantime I am still waiting for the ability to connect an external drive to my existing Cisco 8642 PVR running illico 2.0.
I believe that Rogers already offers this capability so not sure why Videotron is not making the required firmware changes to activate the eSATA connector on their existing Cisco and Samsung PVRs allowing for the addition of an external 1TB (or bigger capacity) drive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The 8 tuners and 1TB of storage are interesting features.
Just to prevent future confusion, the Videotron PVR has 2 TB of storage.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-13, 10:59 PM

I received one this week, works great. So far, Extremely fast, almost like going back to old tv when no delay all all, so good for channel surfing.

Got it installed it, did not find cable signal at first, phoned in. They saw it but had to reboot. Then it worked all applications uploaded fine.
Yesterday watching tv. It decided to go into reboot twice. One right after another. But then worked fine again.

It's faster than my samsung Iloilo 2. And light years ahead of scientific Atlanta 1.0. That thing still works, but god is it slow. Never channel surfed as delay was way too long.
When changing channels. The sound is immediately coming in and picture on screen in maybe half a second at most.
Have not tried to record 8 shows at once yet, I think it's 8 sd. Or 4 hd. Seems I read that in the booklet. But not sure anymore.
Recorded a few shows yesterday. And. All worked fine, no issues there.
Been busy so have not really read the whole booklet about it. It has USB. Sata and other ports. But wonder if they are able to be used or not, no idea on that.

2 tb drive. Says. 240. Hours. Hd. Or. 1200 and some odd hours sd
Pretty happy with it, Will be. Charged over a 4 month period at 100 per month onto my Cable bill
Seems to have a lot more channels. Or they have just recently added many many more. Have not compared every channel with the samsung 2.0. So maybe they are comparable in that regard.
It comes with a 3 year guarantee, or you can pay more for up to 5 years. I just kept the free 3 years.
Old scientific Atlanta remote works fine with it also. Has multiple room viewing possibilities. But you need other hardware for that and a tech visit I think.
Compatible with ipad, windows, ect. So it seems. Need to read the book I guess eventually.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-14, 04:51 PM

Videotron has quite a few 'open' channels through to the end of September. On Illico 2.0, there is a small 'wrapped gift' (or open lock...) to the left of the channel number, to indicate that it is a freebie. Keep us posted on your experiments!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 11:21 PM

So the box records well, did 6 hd recordings at once. One problem I am finding is that on recordings there is a dropped frame. Studdering effect. Sometimes very slight, sometimes quite noticable that it is really starting to bug me. They are quite frequent like every minute or two.
I am going to keep the recordings and have a tech come and see them.
May get rid of this box if it keeps up, have 30 days to decide.
And get another samsung 2.0. Which works flawlessly.
Too bad because apart from that I like it.
Maybe a software thing that can be corrected eventually, I hope?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-21, 10:42 PM

You're not the only one. Read on another forum where someone has the same issue.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-07, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I've had the X8 for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it. I had to buy it (full price). I tried to negotiate with Videotron, but no deals.

The interface is much more responsive. The ability to record 8 HD shows, plus the expanded storage space makes it worth the purchase price. Previously I had two PVRs and was battling with conflicts. Now I just record everything on one PVR. I have over 90 shows and still have 80% free space.

I haven't had any problems with glitches or stuttering as others have posted.

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE732U, Pioneer VSX-921K, Videotron x8 PVR, PS3, Wii
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-01-13, 11:13 PM

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active. The X8 definitely seems to have a problem with video glitches (similar to a dropped frame) playing back recordings. Those who think it doesn't maybe just haven't noticed it yet.

Pick something with a scrolling ticker like CNN or many sports channels, and watch the scrolling text carefully.

No problem when watching live.
No problem when watching from the buffer (i.e. live but rewound a few seconds).
Glitches when playing back a recording.

Seems to happen on any channel, randonly once every 10 seconds to a minute. Not always very obvious depending on how much movement there is in the scene, but the scrolling text shows it easily.

Since the box can play back from the buffer with no problem, surely it's a software issue that can be fixed. Hope so anyway.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-02-12, 07:49 PM
Bell Employee

The box is just at the beginning, full of bugs and whatnot, give it a few more years to iron them out. Old PVRs like 8300HD work just as fine as long you don't try VOD. For the moment the X8 is not offered as a rental but you have the option to pay it in 4 equal installments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.