Cisco 8642 HD PVR - Intermittent Black screen flicker - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Cisco 8642 HD PVR - Intermittent Black screen flicker

Hello all,

I sometimes get periods of a black screen flicker at random times with this PVR.
The screen just goes black and comes back and will happen every so often sometimes for a while ... until I reboot the box the problem is fixed.

Is this a known issue or is there a fix ?

much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 07:41 PM

I have experienced this on occasion. I have found that resetting the output wizard fixes it.
Set it up and choose a lesser setting like 480p save it then rerun it and save it to 720 or 1080
Always worked for me
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding...
You say output wizard? in which menu is that

What should the setting be to begin with?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 08:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you've got the new IPG, then I believe it's under appearance, but if a reboot fixes it, then you're probably all set for a while.

57 FAQ - Tips For SA (Cisco) STBs. (also Pace)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks...
I can say that it seems to happen once a week lately even after a reboot

Is this a bug with my box cuz it doesn't seem to happen on my bro's box
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 08:23 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Signal, per the FAQ? Set it at 1080i

Poor connection? Things to check FAQ - Things to check first.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-26, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I have a couple of other Sd boxes that do not experience this issue. The setting is indeed at 1080i
Can it possibly be the pvr?

The connection and signal should be Ok cuz all goes back to normal after unplugging as it will not correct by itself
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-29, 10:08 AM

I've been having that problem with the last three boxes although not as often with the box I now have. Talking to their techs on the phone, many have mentioned that the problem is probably with the HDMI cable, output on the PVR or input on the television. They have recommended using composite instead of HDMI which I think shouldn't come to that. I found that changing my HDMI cable usually fixed the problem for a while. Mind you, I'm using HDMI cables from Monoprice and don't mind changing them every so often because they are so cheap which may also be a reason why they may be causing that problem with the PVR. It may be unrelated but my own experience seems to show that the Monoprice cables may be responsible for that problem. Maybe they degrade more rapidly?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-04-18, 05:54 PM

I always thought that this was an HDMI handshaking issue caused by my HDTV, since I have changed PVRs (8300HD, Cisco 8642 HD), changed HDMI cables, switched HDMI inputs, and it still comes back occasionally. But I never changed my HDTV. One thing to add, the Cisco 8642 HD is doing it much less than the 8300HD did...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-11-02, 05:35 AM
Rookie

I know that this thread is old, but I had the same problem too.

Is your TV happens to be a Sharp AQUOS? Because a friend of mine and I have a Sharp AQUOS, old model from 2007-2008-2009ish, before the quattron era (with the silver wave design at the bottom of the tv), and we all had this issue.

When I did upgrade to the 8642HD, the problem was still present, but way less frequent.

Now I still have the same tv, but I use an Onkyo Audio-Video receiver between my PVR and my TV. I no longer have the black screen problem, but sometimes, on very very rare occasion (maybe 3-4 times a year), I lose sound, but this seems to be a receiver problem, since I only have to restart the receiver, not the PVR.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-02-12, 07:54 PM
Bell Employee

Connect HDMI to TV and then optical out to your receiver, and you will never have issues. Do not connect the receiver between the box and TV as it may impede with the bi-directionality required for the VOD!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-05-18, 06:18 PM
Rookie

You are kidding right?

The only thing that goes through the HDMI cable between the TV and the box, is audio and video and the HDCP check.

This topic is about an HDMI handshake problem between some STB and TVs.

Bi-directionality for VOD does not have anything to do with it, and it does not even transit through HDMI cable at all...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.