Videotron New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 11:21 AM

All this Ajout éventuel should have been done long time ago. For a company that has a stranglehold on the Quebec Market this is ridiculous. If it weren't for Fibe there would not be a Ajout éventuel .

They probably could have had all these HD channels already. I know that Videotron will have to transition many of their analog customers to digital but that is not going to happen anytime soon. I beleive they over 400 000 connections to transition many in hotels. And there is no date as to when this will happen.

This will be a painful, slow and costly transition and we all know how much Quebecor likes to spend money.

These HD channels that they are planning to add were never a priority because they target the french speaking Quebecers as they are the majority/bigger market which makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-06, 11:37 AM

I have read that Videotron is transitioning from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 broadcast compression for their HD signal.
This will free up existing bandwidth and allow many more HD channels to be added to their network.

However, while Mpeg4 is the HD standard used by Bell and other providers it does require Videotron customers to have access to the illico 2.0 NG terminals to receive these channels.

At this time I am not sure how Videotron will deal with a mix of Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 signals and irate customers not being able to get the new HD channels if they do not have the new NG terminals. Promotions such as $0 rentals and/or low purchase prices may be in the horizon for all legacy customers.

As far as timing, some of the chatter out there suggests early 2014 but nothing will surprise me if some of these new HD channels start to broadcast earlier.

I have a mix of new NG and legacy non-NG terminals at home so I may not be able to watch Mpeg4 HD in all my TVs.
post #78 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-10, 10:11 AM

From what I know legacy customers with Videotron have the ability to obtain free terminals/PVR's at $0. About a month ago I was talking with one of their reps on the phone about a technical issue with my HD PVR - it's one of the old ones and I own it. He told me that if I chose, they would give me a new model for $0. I think the caveat was that it would be classified as a rental and only be free for 2 years, then charges would apply. I declined. They would need to re-jig their offerings so that the terminals for legacy customers are free of any eventual charges, with only the obligation to return the terminal if the service is discontinued.

post #79 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-10, 01:43 PM

If someone owns a legacy PVR, (the older models), Videotron should replace it for free like Bell did. But Videotron will never do this.

So the next best thing is $0 rental fee for as long as you have service with them; REGARDLESS if you have 1 or 2 or 3 services.

That would be the right thing to do IMHO.
post #80 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 07:30 PM
post #81 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the Gazette link superham.

It appears that all the new HD channels will start broadcasting 4 December.

See also this link

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...207/story.html
post #82 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-16, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post
Thanks for the Gazette link superham.

It appears that all the new HD channels will start broadcasting 4 December.

See also this link

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...207/story.html
Yes in MP4 which means hardware issues for long time subscribers like me. I have 2 HD receivers that won't handle the new channels.

Phil
post #83 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-16, 04:37 PM

I guess finally enough Anglo's left Videotron, it finally hit them in their pocketbook hard enough to fix the lack of English content.
post #84 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-16, 10:43 PM

Thumbs down

I'm in Quebec City they are going to hear from me,either i get a big discount or i'm cutting the cord .They've had years to modernize their system but were not in a hurry because they had a monopoly and just pocketed the money for themselves.
post #85 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 12:29 PM

Reading the Gazette article, the VP of Videotron, Isabelle Dessureault, mentions the difficulty of negotiating carriage rights with “powerful broadcasters”. She mentions demands for minimum penetration guarantees and variable rates as examples of difficulties Videotron faces due to their a-la-carte philosophy and mainly francophone clientele not particularly interested in anglophone channels.

This is probably true for American Broadcasters (AMC comes to mind) but I am not sure how this logic applies to the Canadian ones such as Bell Media or Shaw.

While both Bell and Shaw are direct cable TV competitors to Videotron they do make available most of their channels in SD but for some reason have only negotiated a sub-set to be broadcast in HD.

For example HD channels from Bell Media include TSN, TSN2, RDS, RDS2, Discovery, Space, Bravo etc. while Comedy, CTV News Channel BNN, MTV, E! and others are currently excluded.

Since bandwidth is longer an issue with illico 2 and Mpeg4 why not go the extra mile and negotiate an all-inclusive HD deal with Bell and Shaw as opposed to continue the current tactic of only a few at a time.
post #86 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 12:39 PM
Rookie

I have illico 1 on my 8642. Do I need to upgrade to 2.0?in order to view the mpeg-4 HD channels?
post #87 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT. View Post
I have illico 1 on my 8642. Do I need to upgrade to 2.0?in order to view the mpeg-4 HD channels?
Yes your Cisco terminal should be upgraded to illico 2.0 to view Mpeg 4 broadcasts.

Not sure where you live but this service is limited for now to certain areas and not the entire Videotron grid.

See also this reference guide from Videotron.
post #88 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the information. I contact Videotron and they will update my 8642 starting nov 21st. I hope it is successful. I bought it the other day and have concerns.
I reside in Sainte- Constant area, hopefully it will all be available here, but if not I will just wait. Nothing new..
post #89 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Thank you for those gazette links. I have a question, when they say the channels will be available in Montreal do they mean just Montreal island or the greater Montreal area including Laval and the south shore?
post #90 of 161 (permalink) Old 2013-11-18, 08:08 PM

Proggy; if you have been with Videotron for a while; you can negociate a cost reduction, if the channel selection /availability is not to your liking.

I re-evaluate Bell/Videotron 3 service costs in January every year, and Bell has always been 30% more, in part because internet speeds are locked at 50dl/50ul in Quebec City. I'm very happy with my 8dl/2ul, low latency V connection, so I don't need 50dl/50ul.

Also, when negociating TV packages with Videotron, I tell them that the correct comparison is between Bell's 15 and Videotron's 20 à la carte selections, since Bell includes the American networks in their base package.

If you use enough pursuasive arguments, you will ultimately get a price reduction.

MrT: if you have 3 services, the 8642 should be free (actually, free rental for two years; then give it back, if they don't give to you for free); I have an SA8300 and last year they gave me the 8642 for a second TV. No charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.