Internal hard drive upgrade for Cisco 8642 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-12-07, 04:52 PM
Rookie

After a bit of further research, the WD AV-GP series seems to be the proper choice for this application. It comes with a 3 year warranty, not 2 like the green or blue series (I was wrong above..will edit), or 5yr like the Black, but it's quiet and designed for 24/7 use.

If would likely buy the AV-GP model WD10EURX if I were to it over again. the drive seems to have a slower sustained transfer rate than the Seagate (110MB/s vs 120MB/s), so I might even consider the 2TB model (WD20EURX) even if I didn't get the full 2TB available to the PVR filesystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Upgrade with WD AV-GP WD10EURX

I have just upgraded our (Rogers) Cisco 8642 from 160GB to 1TB using a new WD10EURX hard drive.

The upgrade procedure went flawlessly (be patient as it formats, downloads, and initiates) and the PVR works fine with the new 1TB disk.

The new hard drive runs fairly cool and the head movement is quieter than the original 160GB drive. I am still a bit disappointed though with the overall noise of the new drive. The spin noise is a bit distracting, especially in our relatively small TV room.

I think I will try a WD Red drive, specifically the WD10EFRX. This is supposed to be a very quiet drive and one user (WilkBoy) has had success using this particular drive (see Internal HDD Replacement - Rogers 8642 PVR - Read Post 1)

I will post my further upgrade experiences in the thread at the above URL.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-12-31, 07:15 PM
Rookie

Smile Cisco Explorer 8842 Hard Drive Replacement

Thanks for everyone's help.

I just replaced the Seagate 320 Gb hard drive with a Western Digital 320 Gb Hard Drive. After opening the case by removing the 3 tamperproof Torx crews, I undid the 2 cables going to the hard drive. Removed the 4 screws holding the existing hard drive from the frame and replaced it with the Western Digital Drive and 4 screws. Plugged the cables back into the drive and circuit board and replaced the cover with the 3 Torx screws.

When plugging back into your tv, I recommend plugging the power cable LAST, after you have connected the HDMI cable, coaxial input and any others. Once you connect the power cable the PVR goes through it's boot up sequence and counts down. BE PATIENT and listen carefully to hear whether the hard drive is spinning and clicking (like it is working going through a boot sequence). If it seems to have stopped press the Power button and be patient again. I think I pushed the power button once before the time was displayed and once after it sounded like the drive had stopped booting up. Overall it took less than 10 min to be up and running. Overall the whole changeover took approximately 45 minutes from disassembly to successfully watching tv again.

Good luck, but be patient and listen carefully to the drive,!! Thanks

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-02-12, 08:31 PM
Bell Employee

In general with Videotron, if it is not supported from the first, the feature has little chances to be adopted later. For example, a current issue is that you cannot program the remote with the new RCA LCD TVs. Doesn't work and probably will never be fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.