Explorer 8300HD -- displays "Er.63", then stuck in counting loop - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-19, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Explorer 8300HD -- displays "Er.63", then stuck in counting loop

Hopefully someone here has some ideas about this problem...

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR. It's 160 GB hardisk has failed and so it gives the error message on the LED display "Er.51", followed by La.##, Fr.## and then goes into a endless loop counting upwards from around "h060" to "h900", then back again.

I just found the tools to open it and swapped in a Western Digital 250 GB, but now it displays "Er.63" and does the very same thing with the counting upwards loop! I left it running for up to an hour, no change. During this period it's locked out, you can't use the remote or front panel buttons.

Tried an 80 GB WD hardisk, same result.

Yes, I have it jumpered to to "CS" (cable select).

Anyone familiar with this problem and know how to solve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-20, 12:00 AM

Er.51 can usually be resolved by unplugging it and back in again. Quicker the better it worked for me in the past. The Er.63 I am not familiar with. Just make sure the cables are well seated and if you have an extra PATA cable swap it out and retry.

Firmware changes may have rendered my advice useless but it is worth a try.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-20, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

When you say unplugging it quickly, do you mean cycle the power for the 8300HD box itself? (or the power cable for the hardisk?)

I should mention it's NOT plugged into Videotron if that makes a difference. I had another Explorer STB even refuse to boot up without Videotron's "blessing" via an active cable TV connection.

Does the hardisk need special formatting or partitioning? I formatted it with NTFS under Windows XP, maybe the STB likes FAT32 better?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-20, 07:07 PM

I mean the main power. My theory is the hard drive fails to spin up fast enough to be recognized. It always seems to be ready the second try.

If the unit is not connected to cable it must have a working drive to access the content offline. And it must have come from that machine. If it is a new drive it must be connected to the cable line. The formatting is not important. Only the partitions are. By removing all partitions the unit must reload the software and prepare the drive for recording. Oh and the machine must be authorized. If they have been de-authorized then call Videotron.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like that would be the problem. The replacement hardrive did NOT come from an Illico box, it's just a standard off-the-shelf PC hardrive I formatted on a Windows-based computer and then stuck in the 8300HD (without a Videotron cable hook up).

I called Videotron a few weeks ago and they said the MAC ID on this 8300HD was free to register if I wanted to, I just had to call them back (prior to that it was registered to another owner and locked).

Problem is I don't want to pay to have it registered and then find out it doesn't work. :P

I'll try hooking it up to an active cable line and see if causes the firmware to kick in and partition the drive properly.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 02:27 PM

Worst case is you activate it then find out it does not work with another drive. Call back and tell them the unit does not work and have it deactivated. The most you would have to pay is $2 -$3 for the extra terminal fee for a month. They might even do it for free.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Update...

I took it over to a friend's house with Videotron cable service and plugged it in. Interestingly this time the front panel started counting downwards (rather than up!) in hexadecimal. Once it finished the message "BOOT" appeared and up on screen a message about not being authorized for service. Apparently it partitioned and set up the drive!

Unfortunately once I brought it back home, while it's in better shape than before, I'm still not certain it's working. Here's what happens now...

-"BOOT" appears on LED panel
-Cisco logo appears on TV screen and stays there for several LONG minutes
-Message on TV screen: "Advanced services are temporarily unavailable"

Pressing the SETTINGS buttons on the remote or just about any other function does nothing. However INFO tells me "Advanced services are still not available". Pressing LIST says "Not authorized"

Can I assume that once the box is registered and activated all the other functions will work? That it will be able to record and playback video? I would assume so but just wondering if any of this is normal once the hardisk is set up by the box isn't activated.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 08:12 AM

Sounds like you are good to go. Once it is powered up and connected to your cable line press and hold SELECT until the envelope icon appears on the front display. Press INFO. PAGE+ will advance the screen info. You can browse the pages there to see info about the hard drive, tuner etc. Since it is unauthorized much of the information will be blank. Google the diagnostic screens to get a detailed explanation of what each line means.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-02-02, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Hey Guys
Admittedly replying to an old thread. I replaced the hard drive in an 8300 320GB and now it endlessly counts h numbers. Putting the old hard drive 160GB back in does the same. Of course Rogers was no help. Got a few replies that had things to look at but no luck. Was going to try the cable shop in Scarborough but they do not service them anymore. If it was my newer drive, I would have thought the old one would have worked when I put it back in but no luck.
Any thoughts out there or am I committed now to replacing it with a newer box? From what I have read some like the 8642 better than the 3.0?
Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2017-08-18, 12:42 PM

I have the same issue what fixed it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.