Videotron: SA Explorer 8300HD with external HDD Discussion and Issues - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Update 27-10-2010

Hi guys,

I just changed my "300" enclosure for the "NST-360SU" one and it seems to solved a BIG half of the problem. I can finally record 2 channels while watching the 3-rd! My internal one was full while recording those. The only issue I still have is that when I turn off the SA8300HD+ that will trigger the stand-by for my eHDD and it seems is still not able to wake it up when schedule for recording.
Is anybody having a fix for this waking-up problem? I did 2-3 cold reboots but nothing good in the end.

Many thanks,

K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 02:04 PM

Quote:
is still not able to wake it up when schedule for recording
I guess you will have to leave your PVR on. It will draw about 15W extra than in stand-by.

Silly question but you don't have the eHDD plugged into the switched outlet on the back of the PVR do you?
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 03:25 PM
Rookie

I was thinking to keep the SA powered on but I didn't know if this will work so now that I now, I'll try it tonight. And NO, the eHDD is plugged in a APC bar where I have all other electronics like: tunner, SA, TV, etc. So you don't know any other trick except keeping the SA on ?

Thanks,

K.

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 06:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
And that may not work if the auto power saver kicks in at around 1:10AM (as with Rogers)... Just as an FYI, Rogers just got the new firmware. We're keeping our fingers crossed, but you may wish to visit that thread from time to time.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 10:28 AM
Rookie

That's right! I've tried it last night, I left the PVR on but in the morning both iHDD and eHDD were parked. Is anybody here that was able to find a solution to this issue?
Thanks again!

K.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 11:30 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
hmm, and that after you got the Vantec 360. If you changed any of the settings on the drive (jumpers, toggles, etc), perhaps put them back to the original settings. I've got 2 PVRs and 2 eHDD and we just got the new firmware on Rogers, but mine both seem to be working OK - sleeping and waking as necessary - fingers crossed.

When you're doing a reboot are you doing a cold reboot? Turn PVR off, unplug, wait a few seconds, replug, wait a few minutes - message should come up regarding the eHDD when you turn it on again.

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Exactly! I have the NST-360SU-BK, WD1001FALS & SA8300HD+...only thing that stayed the same is the eHDD which is jumper on pins 5 & 6. I'll try to remove the jumper but I have a feeling the results is going to be the same...
And yes, I did a cold reboot as follow: turn off the SA, unplug the SA, waited 2 min., plug it back, turn on the SA and I did see the message telling the eHDD works with my DVR. I even tried the cold reboot with the SATA cable not being connected to the eHDD. When the SA was new rebooted and the eHDD at full speed I connected back the SATA cable into the eHDD. I've got the same message, "eHDD working with this DVR" - however when the internal disk goes to sleep the external ones just follows and never wakes up by itself...

Last edited by 57; 2010-10-28 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Langauge.
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-11-23, 05:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamatz View Post
Hi guys,

I just changed my "300" enclosure for the "NST-360SU" one and it seems to solved a BIG half of the problem. I can finally record 2 channels while watching the 3-rd! My internal one was full while recording those. The only issue I still have is that when I turn off the SA8300HD+ that will trigger the stand-by for my eHDD and it seems is still not able to wake it up when schedule for recording.
Is anybody having a fix for this waking-up problem? I did 2-3 cold reboots but nothing good in the end.

Many thanks,

K.
I have a Vantec CX 300 enclosure as well and have the wake up issue with the new firmware as well. I was going to replace it with the 360 but I guess there's no point. I'm using it with a western digital 500gb Blue. The only way to get the drive recognized again is to cycle the power on the enclosure.
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 07:58 PM
Rookie

external HDD for explorer 8300hd+

i bought an external HDD (Fantom GF2000EU 2TB eSATA)... After connecting to my 8300hd+ and booting up my PVR, the system says that the external hard drive works with the system (which normally means that it was properly formatted)... but if I check my available recording space, it is the same as before. I tried reformatting the HDD, no change. I tried hard rebooting the PVR 3 times.. no luck. Does anyone have any ideas why the PVR says that the drive works with my system, but it doesn't add to my recording space? Is it the HDD that is not compatible? Too big? Why would the PVR say that the drive works, if it wasn't compatible

Last edited by 57; 2011-03-03 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 11:52 PM

Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. There's also a similar, but not identical thread in the Rogers forum regarding eHDDs with SA PVRs. I believe that the maximum capacity allowed by the firmware is 1.5 TB and that only specific drives and enclosures work. It got even more specific with Rogers after their most recent firmware update.

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-04-03, 07:15 PM
Rookie

iirc I've read that 1Tbyte was the limit.

As for the sleep thing, I've experienced the same issues with the Vantec, even if there was not suppose to be any issue with it.
What I did is connect directly to the drive (SATA to eSATA) WITHOUT the control board that came with it. Wakes up properly now.
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 07:46 AM
Rookie

Videotron replaced 8300+, now external HD won't work

I`ve had a LOOOOONG series of problems with Videotron over the last year, related to multiple attempts where Videotron tried to upgrade the OS on our box, most times without notice, and a few times with notice, and every time it would freeze our box, and we'd have to fight with them for hours or days for them to fix it, which was generally a downgrade back to the old sara..

so after many fights with Videotron, and some supposed limit to have the new OS in place broadly by July first, the decided to replace the box (I could rant about this process for days, and still could go on...)

SO, they bring be a refurbed 8300+ and throw in a 1 yr warranty on the box.

it comes pre-upgraded, and we are told both by support and the tech installing it that if the external HD worked before, it'll work now...

So the OS sees the drive, says it`s formatted...but the recording space doesn't reflect the external disk....all the external drive does is flash over and over again...recordings don't make it to the external drive...

The external enclosure is a Vantec Nexstar 3 and the disk in the enclosure is a WD black 1 TB.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-07-01, 09:56 AM

Your post was moved into this existing thread. You're right, it should work. Try formatting the eHDD on a computer and then do a reinstall on the PVR. Did you do a second reboot after the "format" in the PVR? If not, do that first as per the installation instructions. Please see the links in post 2 of this thread to the similar Rogers thread with instructions, etc. Make sure all your connections are good.

I assume you know that all your recorded programmes are "gone" since the index was on the iHDD of the previous PVR.

I'm not sure if the discussions in the following firmware thread are any use since your unit worked before:

Sara 1.92.10.1 - New Firmware. Please read post 1 for unresponsive STBs.

post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 10:26 PM
Rookie

So the story goes that we have an 8300+ that was replaced by videotron with another 8300+, and since then, my external disk will be detected by the PVR, it prompts me to format the disk (which it completes succesfully), the available space changes, but as soon as the PVR goes to sleep/spins down, the light on ther enclosure goes into a blinking cycle and the disk isn't seen anymore by the PVR.

Ok, so as recommended, I took the disk out of the enclosure and put it in a PC.

The hard disk is a western digital BLACK series model WD1002FAEX w 64 MB of onboard cache, with the jumpers on the disc at the default.

I ran the WD datalife tools, doing a short test (passed), a long test (passed) and wrote zeros all over the disc (completed successfully). So I know the disk is fine, and there are no remnants of the old PVR on the disk.

So I unplug my PVR, plug in and power up the external disk, plug in the PVR, it detects it, formats it, space changes....and 20-30 minutes later the PVR spins down (we were watching a DVD, so the PVR wasn`t in use).....again the external disk vanishes and the light on the external box goes into a crazy flashing/pulsing cycle...
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 11:41 PM

If I recall correctly, the late 2010 firmware upgrade on Rogers caused some enclosure/drive combinations to have the "flashing light" issue. I believe the people who had that problem were able to resolve it with the Thermaltake enclosure discussed many times in recent pages of the Rogers eHDD thread (instead of the Vantec enclosure).

SA8300HD - External SATA Drive Works, Please Read Post 1 and Post 1 Links

I didn't think that Videotron customers had encountered that issue though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.