Videotron: SA Explorer 8300HD with external HDD Discussion and Issues - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-01, 03:51 PM
Member #1

Simple answer. No. You'll need to get the 8300HD if you want the PVR, although you can add an external drive to that for additional storage. (lots of threads around here discussing if you need more info)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 10:00 AM
Rookie

SA Explorer 8300HD with external HDD

Hi all,

I presently have a Videotron SA Explorer 8300HD with the 320Gb internal disk. I wanted to add an external hard disk using the e-sata port on the back. I was told that the Fantom GF2000EU G-Force External Hard Drive - eSATA, USB 2.0, 2TB, 32MB Cache was a fantastic, stable HDD unit.

Can someone tell me if it's compatible with my explorer 8300HD? I will be buying on the internet and I don't feel like returning it if it's not compatible.

Please I need help with this question!!!! Does anyone know if there's a maximum capacity external HD (ex. MAX 500Gb) or will the 2Tb external hard disk work on my machine?

Thanks for your help!!!

Jean-François Levesque
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 10:45 AM
Member #1

see all the responses in this thread and the links posted. It should answer all your questions. Please search before posting.

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
see all the responses in this thread and the links posted. It should answer all your questions. Please search before posting.
I'm sorry but I searched this forum and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Any ideas?????

J-F
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 01:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
As per post 2 of this thread, check out the following thread in the Rogers forum, which uses the same equipment. Read post 1 of the thread carefully and thoroughly.

SA8300HD - External SATA Drive Works, Please Read Post 1 and Post 1 Links

I don't believe anyone has a 2TB eHDD operational yet (that we know). As per post 1, the largest has been 1.5GB, however, 1GB should provide more than enough room for time-shifting needs. The 1GB WD Black Series is "recommended".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Unhappy WD1001FALS with NST-300SU-BK on Videotron

Hi everybody,
I have a SA8300HD+ with Videotron and recently I connected an external HDD WD1001FALS with NST-300SU-BK enclosure. The external drive was recognized by the SA, it have been formated (it' been very quick though, less than 1 minute!!) and it does show that I have 16% used memory comparing to 75% when the eHDD was not attached. So far it seems like all OK for the eHDD: recognized, formatted, 16% used when is connected vs 75% when is not connected.
The problem I have is that even though is showing that is recording a channel, I am not able to actually see that recording in the end. I was tring to "stop and save the recording" while recording and it seems like it just dissapeared. Or, while recording I cannot play it from the begining...
Do you guys have any ideea what's wrong in here?
Another weird thing, I putted to record 2 minutes one show and stopped it and save. Then I was able to see it in the list but it couldn'tbe played...

Please help 'cause i'm going crazy here...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kamatz.
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 12:52 PM

I do know that the 8300HD+ had some unique properties other than the larger internal drive. Configurations that work on an 8300HD seem to be problematic with the 'plus' version.

Did you perform a 2nd cold reboot? I have heard of instances where the drive is not recognized after the 2nd boot. In one case jumpering pins 5-6 helped. It can't hurt to re-seat the power and eSATA cables either.

That drive and enclosure is normally a solid duo.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks Jake for your quick reply! I really apreciate it!
I'm not an expert here so I guess a cold reboot means to shut-off SA and unplug the power cable. If so, I did that 3, 4 time so far. I was thinking to change the enclosure for the model 360 since I have the 300 model. I've seen most of he people use NST-360SU-BK. You think that might be a problem or is just the "+" version of the SA that might caise the problem?
It doesn't seems like the drive is not recognized because is telling me that it is and it shows that I have only 16% used space ones is connected. If I disconect the drive (external one) it shows 75% used...so it must be something else here I guess???
Is anybody using WD1001FALS with NST-300SU-BK on Videotron with 8300HD+ and working fine there?

Thanks a lot again!

Kamataz
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 02:10 PM

Oops. I missed the fact you are using the 300 and not the 360. I do believe the 300 was used with success. Best to review all the threads. Search for POSTS with "NST-300SU*" in them. There are 22 posts not including these.

But my tip about jumpering the drive is still worthwhile. I assume you put the unit together so adding a jumper is like turning on a switch. The only problem is you may need to ask a computer store for a jumper.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Hi Jake,
I do have a jumper from another HDD, but what actually happends if I'll jumper the 5-th and the 6-th? I'll do the search for the "300" and see what's there.
Thanks,
Kamatz.
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 04:47 PM

The purpose of the jumper is to limit the drive to a lower speed that matches the PVR SATA speeds (which is 1.5Gbps). Sometimes the enclosures can do this for you. For example my PC can only handle 1.5Gbps speeds. I have two enclosures. One works with a jumper-free SATA drive and the other does not. I should note that my older NST-360SU-BK works without a jumper but my Cavalry enclosure does not. The Cavalry is newer too.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 05:42 AM
Rookie

Yes,
It seems like is working, I mean I can record 2 channels while watching a 3-rd recorded one. There is one problem though:
When I turn off the PVR, after about 2 min Illico is shutting down the internal drive and then it seems to send that message to the enclosure via eSATA cable and puts my eHDD in kind of stand-by mode (I mean the blue led is flickering). That's cool so far in a sense that doesn't worn the eHDD BUT, if I want to record again, the eHDD stays in stand by mode and I cannot record, unless I manually turn-off and then back on the eHDD.
Any idea how to wake-up the eHDD automatically when scheduled for a recording?

Thanks,

Kamatz.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 06:05 AM
Rookie

UPDATE:
I am very dissapointed! Right now the internal drive of my PVR is full and I am not able to record on the eHDD even though when connected it shows me 23% used space. It seems like when I was recording 2 channels and watching a 3-rd recorded one, everything hapend on the last 10-15 % left on the internal HDD.
This is very wird since the eHDD seems to be recognized and yet not able to record on it...
Do you think this is a enlosure related issue?
Do you think it's worth ordering the NST-360SU-BK instead of my actual NST-300SU-BK?

Thanks again!

K.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 08:56 AM

If the drive is defective or configured with power-management then another enclosure may not help. One last thing you could do is download HDDSCAN and disable any on-disk power management.

Since you have a WD drive the options will be slightly different than what is shown here. Best to change one thing at a time and test the enclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hddscan.jpg (29.1 KB, 46 views)
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Jake,

The drive does not seems to be defective. I hooked it on my laptop and is been seen, then I formatted in Vista just to see if is not defective...then I connected it again to my SA 8300HD+, reformatted by SA, I saw 20% used instead of 100% (internal HDD full) then I recorded one show 16 min ago but that recording does not show anywhere...I don't know where is recorded...I had the "Record' text in red on my SA and at the and doesn't appear in my list of recordings...
Do you think the drive is defective? Is there any other test that can tell me if a drive is defective? I just want to make sure the drive is or not OK.

Thanks,

k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.