Videotron Rant Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Videotron Rant Thread

I am glad I found this discussion forum. I have been a Videotron customer for 5 years. Now that I have my HDTV it is getting more and more frustrating to subscribe to Videotron. I have no issue with their product or service qualities. My problem is their lack of choice, particularly on HD. Unfortunately for me, I have nowhere to go. Living in an apartment, sattelite dish is out of the question. Also, the building is not served by other cable companies.

I really hate to see TV discussion fora discussing a number of shows to which I do not have access. Also, to say that Videotron focuses more to its market demographics does not make enough sense since the total HD channels it carries is actually less than that of Cogeco, that serves the Estrie. Also, Cogeco carries more English channels even though demographically there is more Anglophones in Montreal, in percentage or in total number.

Specifically, this is what I miss being with Videotron:

CW, or its shows in HD.
AMC
The Score HD for US college football
Timeshifting (US or Canada) in HD
Showcase HD

Specifically to CW, some of its shows are carried by /A\ or Sun TV. Alas, we do not get /A\ at all nor Sun TV in HD.

Well, that is my rantings. Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 01:39 PM

You didn't mention your current location, but look out for Bell's FibeTV which seems like a good alternative and carries almost the same channel lineup as on satellite. AFAIK it's available in Anjou area and slowly spreading. Infos here: http://fibetv.bell.ca
post #3 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I live at McGill Ghetto. I read that Bell Fibe was only available at Anjou. Guess it will be a while before it gets here. In the meantime, guess I just have to suck it up.

post #4 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Another Videotron Program guide rant

Why can't Videotron get it's program guide right? Ever since I signed up to Videotron, the same thing happens over & over again. The program guide shows one thing, the internet shows another. The internet is right, Videotron is wrong.
For the last few weeks, I have been recording Click (a great little tech show) on BBC Canada, but what's being recorded is not Click. Four times a week it is the WRONG show. The latest error is Fri 9/24 at 3:30 PM on 130 BBC Canada. The menu says Click, but it is Middle East Business Report. The internet is accurate, but Videotron guide is wrong.
Other English channels have the same problem but the French ones seem to be right. It seems they don't give a dam about the English listings.

Another thing..., the search function is totally useless! Browse by title gives a few titles at the beginning of the alphabet then repeats. For example, browse by F shows "A faire au Japon" to "Favourite Places", then starts again!!! What a piece of CRAP!!! Why should I have to go to 900 to get info? I have no idea if the 900 guide is any better. Probably not.

Help me get away from this hell.

Where is the competition??? Monopolys suck....

.....Thanks for giving us a forum to vent our frustrations.
post #5 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Videotron cuts recordings short

Why do some programs get cut short? The last minute or so of several recordings are missing consistently. It seems to be the same programs. They start on time, just at the opening credits, but cut off before the final credits, even before the final punch line.

Oh how I hate Videotrama!!!
post #6 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 12:43 PM

Videotron Rant Thread

I totally agree with all of you...
Videotron is missing alot of English channels... esp. in HD... They don't care about the english users. They want all the french HD ones... and no more space for the English one...

Also the guide and all the OS is so over-dated.... Videotron is working on Illico 2.0 for yrs now... with Samsung technologies and Cisco. Testing are started in Laval... but when this will be launch ?? My guess, in the next few weeks and months... But will it change the crapy choice of channels ? NOPE... it will change the guide, the options and the MPEG-4 recording.

@Hercules130. I just signed up with Fibe TV. Right now it'S more availbale than just Anjou.... i'm near the stadium... So go check it out Customer service at Bell is bad (but at least Fibe TV is a dedicated lane). Seriously, for the package i have with Fibe... i couldnt having the same one with Videotron and still saving like 10-25$ a month (for tv + internet). And have much more channels...

@jmacknmo. You're right.... the guide with Videotron is NOT connected on the internet. It's not like Fibe TV (iptv). I know with Illico 2.0. it'S going to be a little more accurate LOL...
post #7 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 02:53 PM

Quote:
For the last few weeks, I have been recording Click (a great little tech show) on BBC Canada, but what's being recorded is not Click. Four times a week it is the WRONG show.
You probably meant on BBC World News channel 147.

Anyways, when I compare the listing on Zap2It and the TV Hebdo for BBCW, there's a 4 hours difference. Shows scheduled for 11:30am will then be listed on Videotron's on-screen guide for 3:30pm. The editor probably entered the wrong timezone difference. You need to contact SAC/STC and complain about this error.

Quote:
Why do some programs get cut short? The last minute or so of several recordings are missing consistently.
Let's say you program a show from 8pm to 9pm, the PVR will start recording at 8:00:01 and will stop at 8:59:45 or 8:59:50. Some specialties like Showcase will insert so much commercials during their 10pm shows that their "viewer discretion is advised" is seen at 9:59:55 and they'll roll the end credits in speed mode at 10:59:50. Since your PVR stops there, you don't even get to see the executive producer's name.
post #8 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-10-23, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

So now TSN regionally airs the remaining of Canadien games in English - after those nationally broadcast by CBC and TSN. With Bell TSN has an alternate feed specifically for that purpose called TSN-Habs. Seems that with Videotron those games will be on TSN main feed.

This Monday TSN-Habs will air the first regional game, Coyotes at Canadiens. However, with Videotron it will be done at the expense of the Monday Night Football. So now I do not know whether it is a "Yay, Hab game in English" or a "Boo, we lose MNF".

Certainly a choice will be better, no?
post #9 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 09:15 PM

As Fibe TV expands in the island of Montreal, Videotron will have no choice but to meet this competition by adding more channels, upgrading the Illico OS and increasing internet speeds.

If not people will be tempted to make the switch since it will be the only viable alternative to cable. No ugly satellite dishes and no weather related outages that Videotron can use in their future TV ads.

Lets see what happens but for me as soon as Fibe TV is offered in my area I will be seriously looking into their offerings since I am already a Bell phone customer.
post #10 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 02:04 PM
Rookie

I tried to make a post on this the other day but I guess the site flaked out on me or something.

I do not believe TSN will be switching their main-network broadcast to the Habs game. From everything that I understand it will be a separate feed just like with Bell. I contacted Videotron and their response was the norm - no discussion or agreement with TSN to air what they called "TSN 3". I guess we'll see for sure tonight but for now, it looks like if you have Videotron, you will NOT be able to watch their regional coverage of the Canadiens. If you look on their website (www.tsn.ca/Habs) the only provider currently listed is Bell.
post #11 of 287 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
@Hercules130. I just signed up with Fibe TV. Right now it'S more availbale than just Anjou.... i'm near the stadium... So go check it out Customer service at Bell is bad (but at least Fibe TV is a dedicated lane). Seriously, for the package i have with Fibe... i couldnt having the same one with Videotron and still saving like 10-25$ a month (for tv + internet). And have much more channels..
Which stadium? The Big Owe? Do no good for me. Once they reach Molson Stadium, we can talk.

Just a note, I have been generally satisfied with Videotron. In terms of customer service, they are head and shoulder above Bell (I have Bell home phone and internet). As well, I am satisfied with product quality. It is the choices (or lack thereof) of Videotron with what I have major issue.
post #12 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 12:24 PM

Videotron increases!

Just got my Videotron bill. Can you believe that my bill went up 5 dollars per month. They are charging 2 dollars more for the Basic Service, 2 dollars more for TMN (no increase in HD service) and 1 dollar more for the 15 channels on demand service. This is the straw that broke the camels back.
post #13 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 09:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzarella View Post
Just got my Videotron bill. Can you believe that my bill went up 5 dollars per month. They are charging 2 dollars more for the Basic Service, 2 dollars more for TMN (no increase in HD service) and 1 dollar more for the 15 channels on demand service. This is the straw that broke the camels back.
Yep - got a bill in the post today about how I'll be paying a nice $4 extra a month for them so that they can improve my service.

Thanks Videotron!
post #14 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 10:43 PM

I guess Videotron felt that sending a single letter telling me my monthly services would increase $6 would be too hard to accept. So they sent me 3 instead with smaller amounts.

In a way I am glad they kept jerking me around (I kept a list ). It motivated me to find less expensive phone, TV and internet services. That is $1600 they will not see from me this year. Ba-bye real soon. I can't wait to hear the sales pitch when I tell them I am leaving not one, not two but all three services. Despite the uncertainty I will be going with Teksavvy cable for internet. Want to bet they try a few scare tactics?
post #15 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Yeah, $2 more for Basic service and they are starting to cut channels from classic cable. My kids used to be able to watch YTV in their rooms (classic cable) now Videotron cut that channel.

Tags
error , guide , videotron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.