Videotron Rant Thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSlasher View Post
At least now there's SunHD for Canadian news but i totally agree that Videotron needs more HD. The problem with Videotron is their crappy receivers. Can't wait till Bell Fibe is available in my region.
My problem with Fibe is that you MUST also subscribe to Bell internet - that's a deal breaker for me. But I am so getting tired of no English HD channels and will seriously consider Bell satellite when my renewal comes next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
I was seriously thinking of switching to Bell Fibe since they have more HD stations than Bell. However, my friend made the switch last week and today her system has gone down and Bell is trying to restore. Biggest issue is when the system goes down it means you lose tv and internet. I think I will wait until the bugs are worked out with Fibe.
Seems there is a problem with the hardware and many people called to complain that the picture keeps freezing. Bell suggests rebooting system and wait 3 days if problem persists hardware has to be replaced. I will wait before switching!
post #33 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 02:08 PM

Videotron Guide not up to date

I am getting more frustrated with videotron every day and truly thinking of making the switch to Bell Fibe. A friend has the hdpvr from bell and the program information is 1) up to date 2) shows if it is new or repeat 3) how much time is left in a program. Videotron's "new" hd pvr still shows incorrect listings for many programs - example CNN is never up to date, never indicates if a show is new or repeat.
Videotron promotes itself as being ahead of the game when they are clearly miles behind.
Hate to think I may head to bell but with the costs pretty much the same the move is starting to make sense.

post #34 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 06:49 AM
Rookie

Incorrect listings

Videotron's 8300 hd pvr also shows incorrect listings for many programs. It's even worse than last year.
post #35 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

It has been three weeks now that CBC moved Camelot from Tuesday to Wednesday. Yet Videotron still lists it for Tuesday at 21:00.
post #36 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 09:39 AM

Yesterday I noticed that my PVR did not record my weekly scheduled Law & Order UK. It took me a few minutes to realize that the title had changed and a colon was added so it know reads Law & Order: UK. So of course the PVR thought it was a different show. Not sure if this another clitch with videotron or if Bell and Shaw would have the same issue
post #37 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
Yesterday I noticed that my PVR did not record my weekly scheduled Law & Order UK. It took me a few minutes to realize that the title had changed and a colon was added so it know reads Law & Order: UK. So of course the PVR thought it was a different show. Not sure if this another clitch with videotron or if Bell and Shaw would have the same issue
How many years has it been that Google & probably all other search engines would take care of this type of thing? Videotron is 20 years behind times. When will it come into the 21st century? As much as I hate Bell, as soon as it connects their fiber optic system in my area, I will be changing.
post #38 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-24, 02:46 PM

Just signed up, got the nice new reciever etc etc. Though I knew this before, the guide looks absolutely pathetic on my TV. Only reason I'm an illico customer is a big tree in the way of the Shaw Direct sats. I just find it sad that illico has a worse guide than the terrible one Shaw has!
post #39 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 10:55 AM

2 days in a row and the guide showed incorrect information for Global, CTV, CBS and NBC at 9 and 10pm. I checked with a friend who has Bell fibe and the information was correct at Bell. I contacted Videotron who as usual claimed the new Illico should fix these problems but of course when that will happen is anyones guess. Found out the other day that Videotron has 57% share of market in Quebec vs Bell at 25% so no wonder Videotron is not moving quickly to upgrade their systems. I think it is up to us to upgrade to Bell.
post #40 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 03:02 PM

Last saturday night, NBC had originally scheduled a rerun of "Prime Suspect" at 9pm, which Global airs here, but decided sometime during the day to replace it by a rerun of friday's Grimm premiere (which CTV airs here), most likely due to baseball on Fox which ran at the same time as the premiere and surprisingly good ratings it got and made people talk. End result, Global had to schedule a rerun of House.

Consequence, if TV Hebdo, the provider of Illico's TV listings (property of Quebecor), was open on saturdays (it ain't, really), the schedule update would occur sometime during the day for some terminal models so it's half pointless. In fact, old terminals like the 2000 series lose guide info when the terminal ain't shut down, while the PVR 8300 is able to quietly auto-update once or twice a day.

Turns out the Vidéotron technicians were not aware of this scheduling change and we got to watch House on NBC HD during 8 minutes until someone figured out the simsub wasn't meant to be.

P.S. I swear there was a "bad simsubs" thread somewhere on these forums.
post #41 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 03:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3020prob View Post
I swear there was a "bad simsubs" thread somewhere on these forums.
Don't feel bad. It was here, but I can't find it either. Sometimes the search function on the forum doesn't find certain threads. I tried searching for: provider, CRTC, simsub*, network, various combinations, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #42 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 07:43 PM

Final Videotron rant.

8+ months of waiting for illico 2.0 after it's first target date, still no date in sight.

After being told over and over, "adding more English stations is our top priority" and watching more and more non-Anglo added is not acceptable.
At the point of leaving, there's 53 English HD channels missing from Videotron, yet they've found network space to add more French and foreign language channels.

I asked them a few times to at least start an open dialogue with us so that we can be aware of the steps that they are taking to rectify the issues, not once was anything beyond the same pat responses said.

Despite detailed logging of the degradation of the HD/SD stations, they have maintained that there's no issues, yet the English stations are generally 5 megabits lower than the French ones. We are being charged fees for digital access, HD access, paying for HD channels and some of them look no better than the SD counterparts due to compression.

The issues of poor simsubbing is really a bit much, during the baseball playoffs I called 5 times because they simmed over programs that were preempted due to the games running late. More recently I've noticed a couple of feeds that were incorrectly simsubbed, wrong channel entirely on a program that was only available, so the viewing was completely lost. Simsubbing on American channels when the last program isn't quite finished, cutting off the last couple of minutes.

The inaccurate guide, you can't count on it, changes are made, they may not be updated for months. Say CBC alters a timeslot of a show, Videotron will keep it in the guide for several weeks.

The lack of Ondemand English, there's very little Anglo content Ondemand, and what is there isn't HD, yes there are some HD movies, but the TMN/HBO content isn't.

As much as I hate the idea of going to Bell, in terms of HD, at this point, there's no convincing argument for an anglophone to stay with Videotron.
post #43 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 10:28 AM

I will be switching when my contract for my router is up in Feb. You are right Videotron is not trying to keep their anglo customers and if I have to pay the same I might as well bite the bullet and go to Bell. My friend switched and yes she complains about the internet not being very good but it is countered by how good the TV is.
post #44 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 10:32 AM

Made the switch as well to FibeTV from Videotron, having it installed next week.

When i called Videotron to cancel my services, the guy on the line was astonished by my reason for leaving (lack of english speciality HD channels, outdated program guide and the simple fact that I get faster internet and more channels for the same price as videotron) either not a lot of people complain about those issues, or they don't care anymore and just act surprised.

The guy was even surprised when i mentionned the fact that RDS 2 is not available, he replied with "On offre TVA Sport à la place" and if you just look at the program guide for TVA sport, you can clearly see that they have nothing to show except the same replays over and over of Red Bull X-fighters and even some movies!
post #45 of 287 (permalink) Old 2011-11-03, 11:19 AM

Believe me Videotron knows but they honestly do not care. They are reminding me of the old videotron where they figure losing some customers is not a big deal until they realize how much they really will lose. The other issue is they not only lose TV customers but with Bell Fibe they lose internet customers as well.

Tags
error , guide , videotron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.