Sharing Illico STB at another house/location? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sharing Illico STB at another house/location?

I've got an Scientific Atlanta Explorer 1800 STB.

for fun i tried connecting it at another house which doesn't even have Videotron service and it actually works and all my channels are there. is this OK to do, to move my STB back and forth between my house and this other house??

does videotron mind if you use an STB at a different location, especially one that doesn't have service in place? it allows me to make my digital TV portable, I can take it with me anywhere....but i don't know if this is allowable.

is the STB simply allowed *anywhere* on the network, as long as it's MAC ID is registered in the database?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 05:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This question has been discussed many times on the forum. It's not strictly legal since the STB should only be used at your location, otherwise it's account splitting, but the provider will usually "look the other way" if this is done occasionally. If you do it a lot or permanently, then they can shut you both down since they can tell where you are on their system (by node for example). Here's the Rogers thread:

Can I use my Digital Box at my Friend's / Neighbour's?

If you move the STB too far, this may not work - depends on the provider and their setup.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

When you say "shut you down", do you mean they ban the specific MAC addres from logging into the network? Or do they do something more drastic like come to your house and physically cut-off your cable connection entirely?

On that point above, sounds like they can pinpoint what neighbourhood the STB is being used in by the node, but not a SPECIFIC house or apartment, right? I mean they're not going to come knocking on my friend's door who doesn't have a cable subscription and has an active STB running, are they?

i was thinking of leaving it connected for a week at a time cuz sometimes i'm not at my place that long (where i'm paying for my Illico), but if they're gonna notice and not like it, it's not worthwhile. Do they have admin who constantly are checking the network for STB's that moved around??

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 08:30 PM

normally, we set the STB in research mode when their not at their assigned adresse

this force our customer to call and explain why their STB is not where its supposed be

and its done automatically

Vive le fun!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 11:34 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
What you are doing is account splitting which is not allowed under the terms of service. What they do when they catch you is up to them, but you shouldn't be doing it.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 03:17 AM

Location: montreal, SA8300HD, Crown CT-400, Alesis RA150, Sony STR-DG500, Tannoy 15"/12"/8"/6", Sony KDL-55EX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter7 View Post
I mean they're not going to come knocking on my friend's door who doesn't have a cable subscription and has an active STB running, are they?

If your friend doesn't have a subscription, shouldn't their cable have been physically cut. If not physically cut, then the analog basic service could be present (and maybe telemax if the filter is enabling it) and then how is it possible that free service is potentially available at your friends house?

Montreal
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Montreal: I wasn't clear. my friend doesn't have a subscription to DIGITAL cable, just the crappy old analog telemax. i wanted to show them how easy the illico box hooks up and was shocked to see channels coming through!! it didn't make any sense how this could be working!

57: so if i leave it hooked up for a couple of days Videotron is 100% guaranteed to see it and cut it off? that sucks cuz i wanted to let my friend try out the service while i'm out of town next week. if i call customer service and explain the situation do you think they'd let me do it temporarily? or do they have no control and some computer software discovers the stb's IP address changed and cuts it off automatically?

rookie one: what is "research mode"? so like if the IP address changes you guys automatically disable my stb?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 06:35 AM

Location: montreal, SA8300HD, Crown CT-400, Alesis RA150, Sony STR-DG500, Tannoy 15"/12"/8"/6", Sony KDL-55EX6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter7 View Post
Montreal: I wasn't clear. my friend doesn't have a subscription to DIGITAL cable, just the crappy old analog telemax.

.......... so like if the IP address changes you guys automatically disable my stb?
Thanks, now I understand.

The IP address (MAC address) doesn't change when you relocate your STB, but Videotron sees it no longer in the same neighbourhood.

I imagine if you moved it to a new cable connection a few houses or apartments away from your home, nothing would be seen as different.

On a similar note, imagine filling your home Illico PVR full of your favorite movies that you record from your cable package and then unplugging your Illico and taking it to your remote summer cottage so you can view some of your pre-recorded films.

Well from what I read, the Illico PVR won't let you see the films unless it is connected to the cable.

Montreal
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 09:48 AM

Before, that was impossible to bring your pvr at the cottage and watch your recorded shows if you don't have a cable connection at the cottage. Last april, Videotron change the pvr's firmware and it's know possible to do so.

They call that "Getaway fonction" or "Fonction escapade" en franšais.

http://www.videotron.com/service/tv/...t/pvr-terminal
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 11:18 AM

this research mode is simply a special profile sent to the illico that make it lose all access

the main difference with the "perception" profile being the fact that the technical support can disable research mode.

i did have some client that called to inquire why their illico did'nt work at their son/daughter/parent/friend home, it was fun to explain to them i must say

Vive le fun!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Is it ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED Videotron will see my STB has moved to a different neighbourhood and deactivate it?? I'm unclear if it's an automated piece of software that's constantly scanning, or a human being who sees it and changes the profile.

And is that the worst that would happen? That after a couple of weeks or months my STB would stop working and I'd have to call back in? My friend is paranoid that the "Videotron Police" would come to his house, cut his cables and then charge him a fine (on top of his Telemax service) for using my service at his house.

I don't see how it's account splitting if I'm only using the service at one place, and one time.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-14, 01:29 AM

its seen automatically as its connected, we don't see it if its a neighbour, but if you get far enough, its easy to see

and don't worry, we only disable access, no cops....but you will have some explaining to do (as what youre illico is doing not in your home)

Vive le fun!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-22, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_One View Post
its seen automatically as its connected, we don't see it if its a neighbour, but if you get far enough, its easy to see

and don't worry, we only disable access, no cops....but you will have some explaining to do (as what youre illico is doing not in your home)
Could you check if there are any limits on the new "Getaway Function" which Videotron is now advertising? (see below) Do you still need to hook it up to a cable connection, and with an Illico subscription? And does it work with an 8000HD?

From Videotron advertised HD PVR features:
Getaway Function: carry your PVR wherever you are to access your recordings

Panasonic TC-P50V10, SA8000HD, OPPO BDP-83, Yahama RX-V863
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-22, 01:07 PM

What the firmware does is to allow you to use the PVR without connecting the PVR to cable. Rogers has had this for quite a while. It's easy to test. Make sure you're not recording or have a recording coming up shortly, Turn off the PVR, Unplug the PVR, unplug the RF-coax from the PVR. Plug the PVR back in, but don't plug in the RF-coax and see if it'll reboot without being connected to cable.

I don't know if there is any time limitation - for example, if you had the unit unplugged from RF-coax for a month would it still reboot a month from now.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-11-22, 04:53 PM

the time limit is 30 days AFAIK

Vive le fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.