Sharing Illico STB at another house/location? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 12:18 AM
Rookie

Can I use my friend's receiver at my house?

There's a thread like this in the Rogers forum. Is this also possible with Videotron? I have the Telemax illico package but I don't have an HD box even though I have a 50" Plasma. I wanted to know if my friend brought over his HDBox on Sunday to watch the Superbowl at my place, would it work?

Can I use my Digital Box at my Friend's / Neighbour's?

Last edited by 57; 2010-02-03 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread. See comments from Videotron in posts 10, 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 12:36 AM

I checked and it seems they will deactivate the terminal if the receiver is used at an unauthorized address.

Edit: I made this comment before the threads were merged. So it would seem that Videotron has some leeway is allowing these units to roam. Is that correct Rookie One? Can you call up and ask for access for 24 hours or a few days or 30 days?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2015-04-21, 10:27 PM

Location: montreal, SA8300HD, Crown CT-400, Alesis RA150, Sony STR-DG500, Tannoy 15"/12"/8"/6", Sony KDL-55EX6
While this thread is now 5 years old, I would like to add a comment about viewing archived films on an unauthorized PVR. Last week I replaced my 1st generation PVR with a second generation PVR and I wanted to make sure that I could still occasionally view my movies recorded on the older PVR. In spite of initially being told the incorrect procedure, I have since confirmed that the old PVR must be disconnected from the cable before it is unauthorized by the cable network. The unauthorization can take place after cable disconnection and the PVR will still remember that it was authorized at the moment of disconnection. If ever the PVR is newly connected to the cable by accident, it will immediately receive a deauthorization signal and my access to the movies will be lost. I asked tech support for how long the PVR would remember that it is authorized while never being connected to the cable. The answer I received was "forever". Whether you watch your archived films at home or take the PVR to a friend, by never connecting to a cable, your PVR doesn't care where it is operating.

Montreal

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2015-04-22, 12:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's a similar thread in the Rogers forum. Be aware that the newer PVRs with RTN firmware typically need to be connected to cable to boot (unlike the 8300). They will probably not be able to be used without authorization...

Cancelled Account: Access to 8300HD PVR

I'm providing this link (and the one in your other thread) as a reference only since there will be specific differences between Rogers and Videotron due to slightly different firmware and provider, however, the majority of the functionality is the same.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2015-04-22, 05:10 AM

Location: montreal, SA8300HD, Crown CT-400, Alesis RA150, Sony STR-DG500, Tannoy 15"/12"/8"/6", Sony KDL-55EX6
Thanks again 57. I feel very fortunate that my former PVR is a 8300. If it was a newer PVR, I would be stuck having to call customer service for a temporary authorization whenever I would need to boot up and access an archived film. It remains to be seen exactly how long my 8300 will be autonomous from the cable network and allow itself to boot up and view any film on its hard drive. I would be very disappointed if the 8300 has an internal timer counting down over say 30 days before forgetting its authorization. Right now, I have it plugged into the AC outlet and while the displayed clock time is out of sync with its newer authorized cousin sitting a few feet away, it remains booted until the next hydro utility failure.

Montreal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.