Videotron: Excessive upload/download charges - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Videotron: Excessive upload/download charges

I recently signed up for Videotron's tgv50 service.

Up until my first bill, I was happy with the service.

I was charged for a combined total of 165 gb for the first month.
That works out to about 415 movies

I download a few TV shows per week, my upload is limited to 1x of download, my network is encrypted and I use MAC access control to make sure that nobody else gets on the network.

Videotron considers this to be my problem and I have not had any luck in getting them to question the validity of the numbers.

Has anybody had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 04:32 PM

Yup,

Was was charged extra a few months, couldn't figure out why,
my kid plays a bit of games, but not much didnt dowload a lot,
I had 1 movie on youtube & facebook. that was the problem,
every time someone watchs the movie, it goes onto my user account, (strange) I would have never thought this.
I paid the 20 bucks extra a month for the 1oo gig or maximum plan, (they dont even have a unlimited one which I asked about. anyways its 3 x more user space and I shouldnt go over but you never know.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillonhill View Post
I had 1 movie on youtube & facebook. that was the problem,every time someone watchs the movie, it goes onto my user account
Not true. Someone is feeding you a load of BS.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-09, 09:14 PM
Rookie

the thing is, without proper Cable ISP competitor, they will chargfe whatever the **** they want, its a total ripoff compare to anywhere else in the world. instead of downgrading their limit, they upgrade it to unlimited and drop the price. here its the total opposite, downgrading the limit and upgrading the price.

god bless the day the CRTC is gonna remove their ass from everywhere.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 01:14 PM

Hey thanks, Thats what I thought, so now I hqave now idea why I qam using so much bandwidth, I have a very secure network, and all. I am going to have to look into this further and maybe get another provider who its as you say full of crap.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 03:42 PM

Just don't pay them... and threaten to switch to someone else with more reasonable and honest billing practices.

That usually does the trick when they start shoving you that crap...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-15, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Just don't pay them... and threaten to switch to someone else with more reasonable and honest billing practices.

That usually does the trick when they start shoving you that crap...
i am not aware that we are shoving "crap" on our customers......

if you really want details, just ask them the hours, the system in videotron do a poll every 2 hours, and thats include the data comsumption on the modems
but they dont have access to the traffic details such as what was what, as in contrary to a certain competitor who use DSL that i will not name, Videotron do NOT use DPI, in respect of customer privacy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 02:11 AM

The "crap" in question is likely when the customer was told that the videos uploaded to Youtube and Facebook eat Videotron bandwidth everytime someone watches 'em. That's absolute, pure BS.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 02:16 AM

that, i admit that its not true

in these case, just call back and tell the other agent that will talk to you about this, they will note this and send a improvement notice to the guy about knowing what he talk about before saying anything

and before saying that it doesnt do anything, know this : the improvement notice are actually delivered by the manager itself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in