Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

BellTV 9242: Firmware V183 Discussion (EHD fixes)

98K views 272 replies 96 participants last post by  jumpy27 
#1 ·
My 9242 just upgraded from V182 to V183! Can't find any changes yet though. Perhaps they've addressed the EHD issues?

-Mike

#2 · (Edited)
I have closed the BellTV 9242: Firmware V182 Discussion (Enabling of External Hard Drive discussion thread to avoid confusion now that the new firmware has been released.

Please refer to the V182 thread for learning more about the many problems encountered with the EHD but please lets not rehash V182 issues here.

The critical questions for this thread are:

• Have the many EHD problems been fixed?
  • Has there been any improvement regarding the audio dropouts?
  • What, if any, new functionality has been added in V183?
  • What, if any, new problems have been introduced in V183?

#6 ·
Well preliminary tests appear very positive for me with a LaCie 750gig (the one recommended by Bell). After 2 previous drives failed to work I bought one yesterday and brought it home. Recorded HD program, archived it and while restoring the drive disconnected. Today, after having upgraded to the latest firmware 183 I restored it just fine while viewing a TV show. I guess the real test will be when I transfer my previous movies back to the drive (they are living on a unix box).

philip

#7 ·
Once I saw mention of the firmware update to V183 this morning, I checked my 9242 and found that it had already been updated. Running tests, I checked out all functions on the EHD and found they all worked without exception. It was a long wait but well worth it in the end. Thanks BEV.

#9 ·
I'm working from home, so i'm on the phone a lot. All my receivers were trying to use the modem for the phone line again and again.. Very Annoying.

Then, after i was off the phone so the recievers could use the line, they re-booted. Now i have 183.

Do they each have to phone home to request the update?

#10 ·
Do they each have to phone home to request the update?
No.
Am I the only one that got this update today?
No, I got mine yesterday. As soon as I read your first post, I checked and the firmware was there!

#11 ·
Since I had the "full drive" bug, I had to force a reformat by deleting the partition with Windows. I added a few recording and it seemed to work so far.

Because I'm recording, I only did Archiving and playback from the EHD. Did not encounter any troubles yet. Crossing finger. ;)

P.S. I have the LaCie 750Gig(from FS)

#13 ·
I don't know the status of the audio dropouts with this release, but they were happening with both live and recorded material, as many will attest to. I did notice last night watching a Stereo recording, that I had to turn the volume up much higher than usual. Not sure what that's about.

-Mike

#15 ·
v183 firmware, still having problem

I woke up today hearing the receiver shutting down and rebooting over and over again. I checked and the firmware was v183. Don't know why it kept rebooting over and over again.I know it has to shutdown and reboot for firmware install but it was doing it over and over.

I finally turned it on after it had shut down for the 3rd or 4th time and tried an archived recording from my lacie 750 gb hdd (bought at FS). Previously after 5 - 10 min i would get the disconnect, sometimes after 2 or 3 min. This time the movie played for about 56 min, BUT IT THEN DISCONNECTED. I only have one recording archived as I did not want to archive others until problem fixed.

I am still getting audio dropouts on previously recorded movies on the internal hdd.:( I have to see if it still happens on any future recordings i make.

#16 ·
LaCie Testing

Have v183 loaded, had previously archived 18HD movies to the LaCie750 over a month ago - experienced the USB disconnect problems common to this Thread.
My son is watching Bee Movie off the LaCie right now - 30mins in and no problems!:D
One thing I noticed was that by 9242 would not power on with the LaCie on first, but is now working after powering on the reciever first, then the ehd and letting the reciever discover it. Hopefully this will not be a recurring problem as I hope to keep the LaCie ON.:confused:

#18 ·
Can you now share EHD between receivers?

I have been waiting for Bell to fix this EHD issue before investing in EHD.

I am curious though whether the EHDs can be shared between my two 9242s. Appreciate hearing if this is at all possible now with the firmware update.

Cheers.

#20 ·
I have now tested the EHD under extreme conditions. I've moved movies back and forth, restored while recording and viewing, moved my archived movies from my Linux machine back to the EHD, etc...Everything works just great using the LaCie 750gig drive.

I have to hand it to Bell. They said by the end of October and they made it.

philip

#22 ·
I checked Wednesday night and I had 183, I got home last night and the PVR would not turn on, though it was warm and the disk was clearly running, I didn't even have the 'screen saver'. I had to hold the power button to force a reset to get it to turn on. It seemed to run okay for the few hours I used it, its the first time this has happened, not sure if I should blame it on the new firmware?

#23 ·
Having to reset a device after a firmware update is not uncommon. A pain in the butt but not uncommon.

#24 ·
Sounds like it was in the middle of a reboot--screen saver does not show up, either one green light or no lights on the panel, disk spinning very loudly. If you let it complete whatever process it is going through, it will turn on. Sounds like many 9242's have been re-booting for whatever reason during/after the update. Mine started doing this on Monday night.

#25 ·
I should add that my update did something similar. Wednesday morning I turned it on and found it in the middle of a reboot - I suspected it was trying to upgrade. However, it finished rebooting but was still at V182. I turned it back off, about 20 minutes later I heard it rebooting again. That time it upgraded to V183. It seems to the update isn't taking in every case.

-Mike

#26 ·
V183 Fix WORKS

Similar problems with my EHD shutting down while playing from the EHD or when sending the show back to the 9242 to try and play it from there.

I've been using the Lacie 1TB drive all along. . . . now have over half filled with 600h of movies and shows. . . . was REALLY hoping it was a software thing and have continued to add to the drive. . . it would suck to lose it all. . .

I've been looking for sometime trying to find some info on this issue, then a buddy showed me this site. . . and voila, found the problem. . .. defective V182. . . .

So I go home yesterday and checked my Version. . . . it was 183. . . . so maybe it downloaded itself and was fixed?? Dare I dream. . .

So, tried to restore a 90 min show. ... SUCCESS! Then a 2h show. . . SUCCESS. . . then another. . . too cool. . .. it works!. . . . Also watched an hour of a 2h show directly from the EHD. . . . no issues!

I'm off to Futureshop to buy another EHD today! One for movies, one for TV shows. . . .

Thanks to all who bothered BELL enuff that they fixed it. . . . of course I got the guy in India who told me to turn it off for 30min when I called a month ago! Well done all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.