Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR

93K views 232 replies 83 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

#153 ·
I asked awhile back if anyone has any "specific" makes of external hard drives that will work with the 6141 when the EHD feature is added. Can anyone list makes (w/ specific model numbers) that work with the 9242? I assume these will work with the 6141 as well. Please if possible mention where you bought it and the cost. I believe someone mentioned "Lacie" EHD's work, but what models? Thanks!

Note: I'm looking at this one at Future Shop...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10107370&catid=

Would this definitely work?

#154 ·
makes of external hard drives that will work with the 6141
You really answer your own question because as you say this is not yet available, so why not wait for Bell Tv to make the announcement that the 6141 will have an EHD capability before rushing out to buy an EHD that may or may not work with it.

Try looking at the models of EHD that are recommended by Bell TV for the 9242 and that should give you an "idea" of what might work with the 6141 or 6131 in the future.

Would this definitely work?
Without the feature actually working it is impossible to answer this. Just wait a couple of weeks, or just go out and buy it, if it does NOT work on a 6141 you can still use it on your PC or Mac.

#155 ·
You really answer your own question because as you say this is not yet available, so why not wait for Bell Tv to make the announcement that the 6141 will have an EHD capability before rushing out to buy an EHD that may or may not work with it.

Try looking at the models of EHD that are recommended by Bell TV for the 9242 and that should give you an "idea" of what might work with the 6141 or 6131 in the future.

Without the feature actually working it is impossible to answer this. Just wait a couple of weeks, or just go out and buy it, if it does NOT work on a 6141 you can still use it on your PC or Mac.
Pinza,

The OP asked specifically what drives work with the 9242 and then stated he "assumed" the same drives would work with the 9241...

He did not "answer" his own question, rather he asked one then flew into another model as an assumption.

Vis

I asked awhile back if anyone has any "specific" makes of external hard drives that will work with the 6141 when the EHD feature is added. Can anyone list makes (w/ specific model numbers) that work with the 9242? I assume these will work with the 6141 as well. Please if possible mention where you bought it and the cost. I believe someone mentioned "Lacie" EHD's work, but what models? Thanks!

#156 ·
I would buy a Western Digital Mybook or a Seagate Free Agent. Both work very well with the 211 and 211K. I would avoid Lacie at all costs. I can't believe Bell decided to ignore what works perfectly for the 622 and try to recommend an unknown Lacie product.

I don't know who is in charge of these kind of decisions at Bell, but they should be fired, along with the whole department under them.

#158 ·
I am glad I stumbled across this thread, I am looking at adding 3 HDTV receivers to our bell account soon and will most likely wait to rent the additional units, and demand that they are 6131s to ensure that I get the PVR functionality. Given that DN charges to activate this feature on their 6141-comparable units, I definitely don't want to rent units that I have to pay to upgrade.

Does anyone know if Bell rents you the latest and greatest receivers? or do they try to offload old stock to renters?

#161 ·
My 6141 just blanked out.. funny the remote wouldn't respond so I unplugged it and waited for a few seconds, I had to power it up using the front buttons it then proceeded to do an update anyone else experience this?((nightly updates are disabled)
This got me thinking about the usb port in the rear... it's now charging my PS3 controllers ;)

Cheers!

#165 ·
I think you will find that there has always been power on the USB port, that has certainly been the case with the 9200.

It was still disabled for software but that can be modified by a software update, which is exactly what has happened with the 9200, it now has a functioning USB port.

#166 ·
I know today is supposed to be the "announcement" that the 6141 will now become PVR cabable with a firmware update. "If" it's announced today...other than finding out in this forum...where does Bell actually post their news officially? Where do people get the official news from Bell that they post here? Would we only be able to find out by calling Bell?

#167 ·
Just chatted with a Bell Rep and it looks promising..:)

Bruce White: hello Khai.. Did you get my question?(when will the PVR function be enabled for the 6141?)

Khai: Hello, thank you for visiting the bell.ca page! I have read your question. We're expecting a software upgrade today to activate the USB function on the 6141.

Khai: I unfortunately don't have a specific time for you.
Bruce White: Awsome!! thats great news. thank you very much!
Khai: We're rolling this out according to the authorization code of the 6141. We've been updating all 6141s group by group since this morning.
Khai: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Bruce White: no you have been quite helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.